World Cup 2014 - fans only!

I only caught the second half of England's game but found it really depressing. Wilshere and Lallana do not look anywhere near international class, Sterling runs up blind alleys, absolutely no composure on the ball and no even very good at diving. I can appreciate that the youngsters have probably taken a big knock to their confidence but I just can't see any redeeming points at the moment.

Try and convince me I'm too pessimistic.

UKRob said:
I only caught the second half of England's game but found it really depressing. Wilshere and Lallana do not look anywhere near international class, Sterling runs up blind alleys, absolutely no composure on the ball and no even very good at diving. I can appreciate that the youngsters have probably taken a big knock to their confidence but I just can't see any redeeming points at the moment.

Try and convince me I'm too pessimistic.

What was depressing was how much better the Costa Ricans controlled the ball.

The one thing I would say is that it vindicates Hodgson's initial decision not to load the team with youth. They were seriously lacking in ideas in the second half and struggled with the basics, such as actually finding a teammate with a pass.

And Fido - I hear you on the cricket. Very harsh way to lose a match but probably a fair result given the woeful bowling performance in the second innings.

What an anti-climax. Against Italy we showed a lot of promise and attacking intent, Uruguay was just bad tactics and defending, and then Costa Rica we were flat. Didn't pass the ball very and were overran and dominated by the Costa Ricans.

A big overhaul is needed now for the Euro's, time for some of the old guard to step down and the new generation to step up.

As for Suarez, I never understand what possesses his mind to go and do that to people when he's a class player, temperament and discipline are areas himself and Balotelli seem to fall short on.

The be fair Costa Rica beat the other teams in England's group so that's something to take from the game. I do think we will see Hodgson dropping a few of the 'old guard'.

Lampard and Gerrard should step down, I know all's been said about "influencing the youngsters" and stuff but they're past their peak and England need to look to the future. Also I don't think Rooney can think he can be first choice anymore with Barkley sniffing around and other players being able to play in that position.

It's been no surprise the south American sides have done well in the competition as they can cope with the climate and stuff.

I don't think it's just down to the climate. Most of the South American teams seem to press high up the pitch and defend from the front whereas European teams (England being a prime example) seem content to let the opposition into their own half before they even think about putting a foot in. Gives the opposition too much time to make the runs and counter. Or at least that's I can see. I could be very well talking out of my arse.

Well yeah of course they have a different style of play as well. They dictate the flow of the game better and are a bit more technical. Very impressed by Costa Rica and also teams like Algeria, Iran and Chile.

Iran were so unlucky the other day. Felt for them. Shame Queroz is leaving as he's obviously been a massive asset to the national set up.

Yeah undone by a bit of class by the best player in the world.

Now if only England had a player like that who can just win a game with a moment of class, a Suarez, a Messi, a van Persie, etc.

Just watched the Ivory Coast / Greece match. Thoroughly enjoyable - they were an excellent match for each other's styles. Some real barnstormer shooting from the Greeks and the goal posts took a fair old battering. Felt very sorry for the Ivory Coast, going out to an injury time penalty is harsh, but overall the result seems fair to me.

Great drama in the Greece versus Ivory Coast encounter. Thoroughly enjoyable and what a rip-snorter of a shot that Karagounis hit the bar with! I agree with you Chopper: hard on the Elephants but for me, Phil's XI showed the greater invention and ultimate determination.

Turning to Suarez, I firmly believe that the little bastard should be banned permanently! Undoubtedly a great talent but to do that on a such a stage then play-act the victim is outrageous, especially given the lack of provocation. Hardly the first time he's committed such a crazy act. There can be no place for filthy swine like that in any sort of football and I hope FIFA throw him out of the World Cup at the very least. Bloody disgraceful.

The Colombians look damn good, though.....
www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-soccer-futbol-067.gif

Took the soft option and recorded the second half to watch this morning. Much relieved I wasn't a supporter of Greece or Ivory Coat. Tension unbearable in the closing minutes.

That's what England needed. A couple of last minute penalties. But we would probably have missed them.

I'm glad Chiellini didnt try and be diplomatic about the incident after the game and rightly put FIFA on the spot to do something. Disgusting behaviour by Suarez and makes you wonder what sanction will ever stop him from doing it in the future as its his third incident of this type. Absolute shame as he is a cracking player.

Back
Top Bottom