What are you drinking tonight.

I agree about owning stuff. Some may see it as clutter but a record collection is a soundtrack to your life. I'm playing some old vinyl tonight that I've had since it came out in the 80s. I do stream stuff too but I would rather own music for the purpose of having it in my collection, and for the album sleeves.

My friend recently died. He was far more knowledgeable about music than I. His prized possession was his Pro-Ject turntable with Bowie slipmat. Yet all his music was on Spotify sub or on his laptop. I was the last person to know his laptop password. I didn't take note when he told me. He was going to get better, at least, that's how he saw it and I wasn't going to argue. That's all his music erased by the computer shop who thought we wanted his hardware to be saleable, not that we wanted his digital "record collection". I did buy some vinyl off him years ago, so at least I have that as a memento.

I think it's criminal how little artists get paid from subscription platforms. Then again even the Small Faces got royally shafted by Don Arden and that was decades before xSploitify. "Home taping is killing music". No. The music industry did that.

This thread was supposed to be about drinking. Well, this is kinda what happens when you do...

Last edited:
I agree about owning stuff. Some may see it as clutter but a record collection is a soundtrack to your life. I'm playing some old vinyl tonight that I've had since it came out in the 80s. I do stream stuff too but I would rather own music for the purpose of having it in my collection, and for the album sleeves.

My friend recently died. He was far more knowledgeable about music than I. His prized possession was his Pro-Ject turntable with Bowie slipmat. Yet all his music was on Spotify sub or on his laptop. I was the last person to know his laptop password. I didn't take note when he told me. He was going to get better, at least, that's how he saw it and I wasn't going to argue. That's all his music erased by the computer shop who thought we wanted his hardware to be saleable, not that we wanted his digital "record collection". I did buy some vinyl off him years ago, so at least I have that as a memento.

I think it's criminal how little artists get paid from subscription platforms. Then again even the Small Faces got royally shafted by Don Arden and that was decades before xSploitify. "Home taping is killing music". No. The music industry did that.

This thread was supposed to be about drinking. Well, this is kinda what happens when you do...
Oops, Yea sorry for derailing thread. ipa, a few of them.:)

S'alright by me Jimmy, I've enjoyed this merging of "what are you listening to?" and "what are you drinking tonight?" very much. The two go hand in hand, do they not?! I've a couple of beers and a dram behind me too. Shame it's a Wednesday mind you. Tomorrow is not going to be better as a result but I needed it.

F'in love that pearl of wisdom man! Especially as I have to translate hifi articles about systems that cost more than my house, where people pay hundreds for small cubes of African blackwood and weird resonator things. How many levels of Mana? Nah, a 4-pack will do the same job. Like beer goggles for the ears!

Or "beering aids" as I shall call it from now on!

F'in love that pearl of wisdom man! Especially as I have to translate hifi articles about systems that cost more than my house, where people pay hundreds for small cubes of African blackwood and weird resonator things. How many levels of Mana? Nah, a 4-pack will do the same job. Like beer goggles for the ears!

Or "beering aids" as I shall call it from now on!
Would that be the wooden blocks to lift the cables 20mm off the carpet to stop some voodoo magic happening to the sound. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah. And some things that look like football trophies for Playmobil people. I can't remember what they're supposed to do but I think they're horseshit. OTOH I have experienced with skeptical ears what difference cables can make so maybe I shouldn't throw stones. Some things do make a big difference, others are 100% pure snake oil.

Sorry you had to go through losing your friend. There's a chance that the data may be recoverable if you still have that laptop, and if the shop didn't do things properly. If the shop did a quick format of the drive (a big if), rather than overwriting it properly you can most likely access it.

Moretti, later. Beware, the old bait and switch "brewed in some cesspit in the UK out of grey water and packaged as premium imported lager" routine has been applied to Moretti in multi-bottle boxes and cans. Probably only a few 660ml bottles still imported. Its about time for a mutiny, sorry but I know its first world problems and all, but why do they introduce a decent import lager, get everyone liking it and then secretly and dishonestly switch it for utter pish made out of chemical toilet outflow in Northampton? They deserve to go out of business, do they really think we can't taste the difference? Ok, rant over.

Moretti, later. Beware, the old bait and switch "brewed in some cesspit in the UK out of grey water and packaged as premium imported lager" routine has been applied to Moretti in multi-bottle boxes and cans. Probably only a few 660ml bottles still imported. Its about time for a mutiny, sorry but I know its first world problems and all, but why do they introduce a decent import lager, get everyone liking it and then secretly and dishonestly switch it for utter pish made out of chemical toilet outflow in Northampton? They deserve to go out of business, do they really think we can't taste the difference? Ok, rant over.
Totally agree. Ok we know you want to make 5000000% profit but just charge us a wee bit more, we will still buy if it is decent, same goes for foods that change recipies, if the saving of a couple of pence means that much put the price up by a couple or a few pence
And stop trying fo fanny about.(y)

Totally agree, it's one of my pet hates and I don't buy beers "brewed under licence" any more.

Aye they might as well say "brewed under false pretences" for all the good faith there is in it. Not only are they ganking us they're insulting our taste and intelligence at the same time. In fact it makes me wonder why I bother buying the 660ml bottles that are imports, given that I disapprove of their MO. Maybe I need to just boycott them. I'll maybe stick to British ale, cos the global megacorps like SAB Miller and Molson Coors can only get away with this trick with lager. It's only a matter of time until Estrella Damm gets spat in like this. Luckily there's plenty of decent Polish stuff out there.

Back
Top Bottom