Went a bit mad on the Russian DE's today...

I was running a bit low on my beloved Voskhod's,only have about 70 left (you know how it is,just in case and all that!),so I bought another 100...Whilst I was at it, I ended up with 100 Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades,and 100 Rapira Super Stainless Chrome blades too,so what do you chaps think of the Rubies,and Rapira SSC blades?,any good,or not?.TBH I have about 98 Rapira Platinum Lux blades 'in the drawer' but have not got on too well with them,but I have only tried them in a couple of certain razors....So I wont judge them.....yet!.

Last edited:
A little excessive but you'll be laughing come the bladeapocalypse.
The Rapira SSC are ok blades but I find the Rubies are my top blades.

Shave on... and on... and on...
I am embarrassed now!,is a 1000 blade stock really that sad?,glad to hear the Rapira SSC's are not 'too bad',going to try a Rubie tomorrow,probably in a short handled SA on 9,or a Fatip Piccolo,just to see how it goes!.

I was running a bit low on my beloved Voskhod's,only have about 70 left (you know how it is,just in case and all that!),so I bought another 100...Whilst I was at it, I ended up with 100 Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades,and 100 Rapira Super Stainless Chrome blades too,so what do you chaps think of the Rubies,and Rapira SSC blades?,any good,or not?.TBH I have about 98 Rapira Platinum Lux blades 'in the drawer' but have not got on too well with them,but I have only tried them in a couple of certain razors....So I wont judge them.....yet!.

FWIW, I think Sputnik blades are far better than Voskhod. The Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus is IMO the ne plus ultra of modern DE blades. There simply is no better that I know of. Top of the mountain. Some have said that using one is like being shaved by the hand of Jesus. ;)

It has been said that all Rapira blades are the same except for the Platinum Lux which is their flagship. I would agree with that for the most part.

There's no such thing as too many of your favourite blade. I went through a stage of ordering 100 Astra's a month. Of course after about 6 months I worked out I had about 10 years worth of blades backed up, so stopped and took a chill pill. Of course my favoured sellers are constantly on my watch list and should the rates change violently on my favour - I probably won't resist.

I just tried a Rubie in a Fatip Piccolo,very nice it was too!,seems to hold its edge very well,as I shaved the whole chin with just one side,and it seemed to be just as sharp at the end as it was at the start!,and smooth too!.Impressed so far!.

Back
Top Bottom