Waterhouse custom razor passaround

Right, I have now used this twice. Initial impression-another example of mike's fine workmanship. Tiny bevel. Quite how this affects things I don't know.
Shaving: to be honest I struggled a bit. What is very strange is that I ended up with two almost vertical cuts on my both cheeks, which is unusual. Still not quite sure what I did wrong.
However, no cuts on my chin which is an area I do struggle with. Make of that what you will: perhaps complacency when shaving a relatively easy area and more care taken around the chin?

Whatever the case, a close and satisfying shave. The smaller blade area is particularly good for around the nose/upper lip.

Thank you mike for an opportunity to try a fine piece of British workmanship. Do you want to send me a pm as to where to send it next? Should be able to get it off special delivery on
Monday, if not before.

Mylo

@Mylo. The vertical cuts are probably due to inexperience in handling this type of blade - I would guess that they came when shaving across the grain. Kamisori razors take a lot of getting used to and feel very strange to begin with.

Mikes blade is easier to hold in some ways because the thumb notch is quite wide - however I think you would probably need at least a half dozen uses before you began to feel comfortable with the angles.

UKRob, I'm sure that this is the case and was just a question of inexperience. I hope that no one takes this as a criticism of mike's razor, it is more a criticism of my lack of ability.

Sounds similar to my experience. Since rob's account had no negatives to it at all. Must be my lack of experience with such an item. Oddly I felt like my 2 outer fingers were not in control at all giving me too much of awkward feel. Causing me to constantly try to readjust my grip.

Arrived safely today.

I was prepared and waiting with whiskers and shaving gear.

Totaly agree with what has been said, first impressions are what a lovely grind its got. Tiny, even & straight.

It feels quite hefty in the hand, but not uncomfortable.
I stropped it and here was where I found where I would make a change. My stropping technique is between the index finger and thumb only. Light and quick strokes.
I found that the razor would start creeping away from the blade between finger & thumb.
Bottom jimps would solve this ;)
First time I have tried a Kamisori so the first few strokes were a bit tentative but I soon got in my stride.

Angle was off and I was leaning the heel in due to the different grip. Again after I rectified this it was plain sailing.
I had lovely 2 pass shave WTG & ATG, I am really impressed with the edge that this razor has, it delivers a smooth & efficient shave.

That's day 1 out the way, I will get a video in the next day or 2.

Impressive Michael, very impressive ;)

Nice one Jaycey, yeah I need to get on with the jimping. I wouldn't easily be able to get the jimping to go round the thumb notch but was thinking about putting it above the thumb notch. How do you think this would work with your grip?

I'm making one for a member on this forum and it's going to have a thinner, shorter tang which will reduce the weight a bit but still keep it well balanced and hopefully make it easier to use. We have also been talking about wrapping the handle which I think will give a bit more security.

Popcorn ready and waiting :)

mikew said:
Nice one Jaycey, yeah I need to get on with the jimping. I wouldn't easily be able to get the jimping to go round the thumb notch but was thinking about putting it above the thumb notch. How do you think this would work with your grip?

I'm making one for a member on this forum and it's going to have a thinner, shorter tang which will reduce the weight a bit but still keep it well balanced and hopefully make it easier to use. We have also been talking about wrapping the handle which I think will give a bit more security.

Popcorn ready and waiting :)

Be honest with you Mike, if you were making a razor for me, out would go the thumb notch, slimmer tang tapering down in both the hight and depth (length is fine with me)

Out would go the jimps, I would ask for an inch long cutout where the thumb notch is 1-2mm deep then use some of that rubber stuff that you mould yourself in the cut out.
This would have a 2 fold purpose, first it would perfect to strop with and secondly give you a secure non slip grip with ease of rotational control when doing the curvy area's of you face.

I suppose it would mimic what the traditional wrapping does but would only be in the place where you (me?) actually grip the blade with thumb, index finger and middle finger. It would give it a contemporary look too ;)

I would go down to a 6/8 width blade and I assume this would require a slimmer spine depth?
This would reduce the overall bulkiness of the blade making for a real Ninja razor :D

I was really interested in seeing the grind and quality of the edge and for me today....You nailed it fella, well done!

The razor arrived this morning and I simply couldn't resist a tiny weeny polish around my sideburns straight away after disinfecting.

Oh, I like this ...

Roll on this evening and I get my first full shave with it, which i did WTG (pretty much north/south straight down) and then a second pass which is a hybrid XTG/ATG (starting at my jawline and working in and then a simple south/north up my neck). I find that works out well for me now with straights.

In terms of my experience with straights, it's limited. Limited to a few successively better shaves with what we could call moustache trimmers - narrower blades, like 4/8 and 3/8. I also have a good few shaves under my belt with a Feather Artist Club Kamisori style and Rob's microtome based Kamistyle, which I would now call myself proficient ... and so kicked off with that technique.

The shave went well ...

What a sound! I love that ... proper solid! Well, it is, and it sounds like it is, too. Some blades have a light sing to them ... if Brian Blessed shaved, he'd shave with this :D

Visually, it's a stunner! A real heft of steel quite perfectly shaped and ground. The bevel is lovely. Balance is good where you place your thumb, or rather where you're made to place your thumb and so the weight is neither head nor heel inclined.

Onto practicality, grip and manoeuvrability, this is where I have some points to make ...

First, I fancy that the curve and cut-out from the heel to the thumb notch places the thumb in the wrong place and one has a tendency for it to creep forward. I hold these razors with thumb under, four fingers on top, perhaps little finger resting against the back of the handle rather than on top at times, and this thumb placement had my fingers sliding around and the angle of the blade going off.

If the curved of the heel backwards simply omitted the thumb notch and that line ran directly back on a narrowing angle back to the rear point of the handle, it would be much improved for my use. Perhaps a more squared profile with narrower tang? Its thickness is the key to this - keep the thickness, narrow the tang. What I love about the Feather Artist Club is the round tang where the thumb and index finger rest - micro-fine angle adjustments can be made. With a more squared profile and perhaps wrapped, at least for the first inch or so, I think that would improve the function dramatically.

The length of the blade was perfect for me and the front curve just right. The width for me works right with the thickness of the spine.

Lovely! I'm looking forward to another shave with it shortly ...

Hey Paul, some good food for thought there. I can see how the thumb notch does force you into a particular grip, which suits the way I shave but obviously isn't right for everyone.

It's fascinating getting so many different opinions. I'll look forward to hearing how your next shave goes :)

Back
Top Bottom