Waterhouse custom razor passaround

Right then. I've honed it, shaved with it, honed it, shaved with it, stropped it and cleaned it. I can do no more....

Looks like it's coming to you first Rob :)

mikew said:
Right then. I've honed it, shaved with it, honed it, shaved with it, stropped it and cleaned it. I can do no more....

Actually that's good Mike as I'm going on holiday next Thursday so I should be able to use it, give you some thoughts and get it off to the next person.

mikew said:

That looks utterly fantastic!

Would you be so kind as to divulge the dimensions?

As a newbie, I can't grasp a sense of scale at all - but it looks wonderful.

Cheers,

Stu

Thanks Stu!

The edge is about 55mm long and the blade is about 23mm wide. A fair bit shorter than typical 'western' razors.

shakespeare said:
That looks absolutely stunning mik :)

Thanks Bill!

Right, it's on it's merry way to Rob. I'm a bit disappointed as I was all geared up for a witty retort when the lady in the post offices asked me what was in the package. But she didn't. Probably for the best....

Received today. I've not had a chance to shave with it but took a couple of photos comparing it with my other Kamisoris.
This one shows it against a traditional Japanese blade, then an American Brian Brown, German Koraat and finally Mike's

[attachment=10368]

This one shows the different grinds, traditional Kamisoris are asymmetric whereas Mike's is a western grind. What is noticeable is the superior grinding accuracy of Mike compared to the other two artisan makers - the bevel is hardly visible with a naked eye.
[attachment=10369]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1398967377.219960.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1398967377.219960.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 73
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1398967417.462991.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1398967417.462991.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 104
I've now had two shaves with this razor. - with Mikes permission I ran it over my Japanese hone before the second shave. An outstanding result this afternoon very smooth and comfortable but extremely close. The good news is that I think there's even more to be had from the edge, I believe the steel is quite hard so it may be a question of finding the right hone.

As we are on holiday in a few days time I won't get the chance to try it again, so I'll get it packaged up for Braveblades.

Back
Top Bottom