Waterhouse custom razor passaround

I'm finally happy enough with these Kamisori inspired razors to let you guys loose on them. From memory the people who expressed an interest in trying one out were as follows:

1. pjgh
2. UKRob
3. BraveBlades
4. pugh-the-special-one
5. Mylo
6. jaycey - I don't think you put your name down but I'm hoping you will do a shave video :D
7. Spartacus

Here is the item in question. I've left the heat treatment scale on as a nod to it's Japanese cousin.

I will need full contact details by PM and you must be happy to send the razor on to the next person by special delivery. This will cost about £7. If we could limit each person to one week it will avoid this dragging on forever.

I will make sure the razor has a great edge on it when it goes out and if I could get maybe Jamie and Rob to touch up the edge when they get it we should be able to make sure everyone sees it at it's best :)

Could you please either reply to this thread or PM to let me know if you are up for it?

mikew said:
I'm finally happy enough with these Kamisori inspired razors to let you guys loose on them. From memory the people who expressed an interest in trying one out were as follows:

1. pjgh
2. UKRob
3. BraveBlades
4. pugh-the-special-one
5. Mylo
6. jaycey - I don't think you put your name down but I'm hoping you will do a shave video :D

Here is the item in question. I've left the heat treatment scale on as a nod to it's Japanese cousin.

I will need full contact details by PM and you must be happy to send the razor on to the next person by special delivery. This will cost about £7. If we could limit each person to one week it will avoid this dragging on forever.

I will make sure the razor has a great edge on it when it goes out and if I could get maybe Jamie and Rob to touch up the edge when they get it we should be able to make sure everyone sees it at it's best :)

Could you please either reply to this thread or PM to let me know if you are up for it?

That's fine by me Mike - I'll touch it up if necessary and let Paul have my address when he's ready to send it on.

Spartacus said:
Interesting - the razor does not seem to have the normal asymmetric grind as normal - is that right or am I seeing things?

Don't know about you Steve, but I can't tell the difference between the sides of a true Kamisori - I use them just as I do a western straight.

UKRob said:
mikew said:

1. pjgh
2. UKRob
3. BraveBlades
4. pugh-the-special-one
5. Mylo

That's fine by me Mike - I'll touch it up if necessary and let Paul have my address when he's ready to send it on.

Spartacus said:
Interesting - the razor does not seem to have the normal asymmetric grind as normal - is that right or am I seeing things?

Don't know about you Steve, but I can't tell the difference between the sides of a true Kamisori - I use them just as I do a western straight.

No true enough - i do wonder why in fact they are done like that - but it was just an observation. Wouldn't mind test driving it myself.

Spartacus said:
No true enough - i do wonder why in fact they are done like that - but it was just an observation. Wouldn't mind test driving it myself.

I'll add you to the list. Could you PM me your details?

Mylo said:
Looking forward to it Mike. If it's anything like the knife you made me it will be an excellent shaver.

Mylo

Hope so :)

I'm thinking something like this with some straps to hold the razor in place for postage. The slot is deep enough that the edge isn't in contact with the wood.

It could then be used for storage....

I'm interested in trying a straight razor. Are these Japanese style ones good for a noob to try as an alternative to a traditional straight or would you recommend I skip this and try the pass around straight first (for which I'm signed up).

Cheers

Greg

jeepie said:
I'm interested in trying a straight razor. Are these Japanese style ones good for a noob to try as an alternative to a traditional straight or would you recommend I skip this and try the pass around straight first (for which I'm signed up).

Cheers

Greg

Hi. I'd rather limit this to those with some experience. I'm looking for feedback on how it compares to razors people already use among other things :)

To be honest there's probably already enough names on the list. As I said earlier I don't want this to drag on too long.

Mike, regarding post precautions - I don't think it's necessary to include the block. If you have a coffin that fits that should be adequate if then wrapped in bubble and a padded envelope. Alternatively, tape the edge up, enclose the whole in some cardboard (cereal box flattened out) and then wrap in bubble and a padded envelope.

This is the way I send items via the post and I've had no problems so far.

Back
Top Bottom