Trumpers Lucky Dip

Clinique post shave healer and soother are quite similar I use both but prefer the soother. I also like to keep it in the fridge so that it goes on cold. If you go to or are near Harrods they dish out samples which is a good way to try a few. Definitely try out Kiehls musk pricey but great scent. Also if you go for clinique I would get the facial scrub, shave cream and post shave soother it's a brilliant trio to use in succession by far the best for skin care that I've tried. I found Kiehls more greasy (initially) than clinique which is more milk like in consistency

Reading on the net that the healer is (was?) discontinued but apparently it's a totally different product altogether from the soother. Anyway, ordered a tiny sized bottle (15ml) of the soother to try it out.

Going to go to both Kiehl's store and a Clinique counter to try out the face wash and moisturisers too.

Right now I'm using dermalogica products for face wash and a few others to compliment it but it seems my face is arguing with everything. Unfortunately that's why I've put up by CF balms up for sale. Stupid face!!

Re: RE: Trumpers Lucky Dip

rum said:
Reading on the net that the healer is (was?) discontinued but apparently it's a totally different product altogether from the soother. Anyway, ordered a tiny sized bottle (15ml) of the soother to try it out.

Going to go to both Kiehl's store and a Clinique counter to try out the face wash and moisturisers too.

Right now I'm using dermalogica products for face wash and a few others to compliment it but it seems my face is arguing with everything. Unfortunately that's why I've put up by CF balms up for sale. Stupid face!!
IMHO in terms of a face wash clinique will be the one for you, for some reason I find Kiehls face wash to be slightly drying

Ended up going to Kiehl's where the very helpful sales rep sat down with me and did a test on my skin (forehead and cheek). Turns out I have very oily skin with some parts being quite dry. Weird.

But he gave me some samples to control my oil. So far results feel great! But going to try them for a few days and will see. I'm dumping dermalogica for sure.

Clinique was a disappointment in store. Out of three counters I visited, only one seemed interested in helping me out but only after I begged. None had any samples whatsoever. Anyway bought the soother in a 15ml travel size from eBay and will give that a go when I get it.

rum said:
Ended up going to Kiehl's where the very helpful sales rep sat down with me and did a test on my skin (forehead and cheek). Turns out I have very oily skin with some parts being quite dry. Weird.

But he gave me some samples to control my oil. So far results feel great! But going to try them for a few days and will see. I'm dumping dermalogica for sure.

Clinique was a disappointment in store. Out of three counters I visited, only one seemed interested in helping me out but only after I begged. None had any samples whatsoever. Anyway bought the soother in a 15ml travel size from eBay and will give that a go when I get it.
Strange how company's can give a damn and other can't when both are meant to be reputable. If ever you get a chance give clinique's cream shave and facial scrub a chance I would send you some samples but I'm all out. I'm waiting for their newsletter with discounted goods atm. Having oily and dry skin patches is actually quite common make sure this is actually the case and they aren't fobbing you off just to buy more products.... You know your skin best.

Nishy said:
Strange how company's can give a damn and other can't when both are meant to be reputable. If ever you get a chance give clinique's cream shave and facial scrub a chance I would send you some samples but I'm all out. I'm waiting for their newsletter with discounted goods atm. Having oily and dry skin patches is actually quite common make sure this is actually the case and they aren't fobbing you off just to buy more products.... You know your skin best.

I know, tell me about it! Thankfully the Internet is here and people now know where to order from but still to not even have a tester available is pretty bad!

Thankfully eBay has helped and I will be able to tell from my sample whether the Clinique is a good balm for my skin.

I'm definitely going to pay more attention to Kiehl's as they're becoming more popular and seem to be everywhere now. Hoping to get some samples all over so that I can get over these problems once and for all!!

Well tried my Clinique post shave soother sample today. Very good first impression if a little tight on the skin so may need to pair with a moisturiser. I used castle Forbes' lavender shaving cream and used my Le Grelot to literally wipe off three days' growth.

Skin felt very smooth and supple afterwards.

I also got the Lab series razor burn soother which I may use in the evenings after shaving or as a balm as well. Once I've tried these out with all my soaps I will try to form a more educated decision in a full bottle.

Thanks for the recommendations though everyone!!

Thanks for letting us know how you got on with the Clinique Rum. Are you planning on trying kiehls facial fuel at all? I find it slightly more viscous than the Clinique.

Nishy said:
Thanks for letting us know how you got on with the Clinique Rum. Are you planning on trying kiehls facial fuel at all? I find it slightly more viscous than the Clinique.

I got in really well with the oil control face wash and an oil free face cream that they recommended. Have ordered them and waiting for them to be delivered. Fortunately they weren't harsh on my skin at all so looking forward to a more clear complexion.

I'm convinced now that shaving with a straight is exfoliating enough if combined with a good face wash and moisturiser so I am ditching the whole face scrub stuff and have put my current one up on the BST for sale.

Strange you should say that as I found the same thing. I'm not sure if it's down to not stropping properly (not rounding the fin) or the wrong angle or just not having a safety bar, but with the straight I actually see hairs and skin coming off. This is probably not a good thing as I'm guessing it will cause greater sensitivity. However, it's a learning curve so I'm sure with time I'll get the right angle so as to just slice stubble. Unless the above is just common ground and it's meant to be this way? (You can see the confusion alone from my post!). Anyway the only face scrub I can use now before straight shaving is a seaweed based scrub that I bought in Thailand as it leaves a slick layer post wash.

Nishy, out of curiosity, I wonder if you follow with a moisturiser as is recommended with the Clinique Post Shave balm? It's great as a balm but it does lack moisture and in my opinion could moisturise a bit better....

rum said:
Nishy, out of curiosity, I wonder if you follow with a moisturiser as is recommended with the Clinique Post Shave balm? It's great as a balm but it does lack moisture and in my opinion could moisturise a bit better....
To be honest I don't, I find it is fine as it is, send me your postal address and I'll send a sample of Kiehls over to you, it's going to be much more on the lines of what you want.

Nishy said:
rum said:
To be honest I don't, I find it is fine as it is, send me your postal address and I'll send a sample of Kiehls over to you, it's going to be much more on the lines of what you want.

Ok thanks. I think based on my experience with the Clinique today, it's far too drying for my skin despite going on very smoothly.

rum said:
Nishy said:
rum said:

Ok thanks. I think based on my experience with the Clinique today, it's far too drying for my skin despite going on very smoothly.
I tend to have slightly oily skin, which is prob why the clinique being more milk like in texture is ok for me. I really do like it's soothing properties though. Kiehls is slightly 'heavier' and more moisturising to the touch imo but best way is to try it :)

Nishy said:
rum said:
Nishy said:
rum said:

I tend to have slightly oily skin, which is prob why the clinique being more milk like in texture is ok for me. I really do like it's soothing properties though. Kiehls is slightly 'heavier' and more moisturising to the touch imo but best way is to try it :)

Ironic thing is that when I had my face analysed at Kiehl's they told me I had very oily skin!!

rum said:
Nishy said:
rum said:
Nishy said:
rum said:

Ironic thing is that when I had my face analysed at Kiehl's they told me I had very oily skin!!
Lol I wonder sometimes how accurate they really are as skin changes throughout the day/weather/etc etc

Back
Top Bottom