time to start seen all the hype cant resist

Completely off subject but why not have a go at this riddle:

10 10 10 = 9.50

You can use any mathematical symbol to make the above equate, a little clue it's only one mathematical symbol....why am I putting this up??? To distract my mind from reading reviews on the EJ89 or walking in after work and checking the letterbox like a rabbit wolverine

Re: RE: time to start seen all the hype cant resist

Nishy said:
Completely off subject but why not have a go at this riddle:

10 10 10 = 9.50

You can use any mathematical symbol to make the above equate, a little clue it's only one mathematical symbol....why am I putting this up??? To distract my mind from reading reviews on the EJ89 or walking in after work and checking the letterbox like a rabbit wolverine

10 TO 10 = 9.50

Damn! Ok here's another riddle, or it could be my lack of shaving expertise; whilst clearing my shelves I picked up a product called aqua bar (one word) it's a soap free cleansing and shaving bar I will post pics up of it I won't be tryin it out as it contains hard wax and fear it may thus invalidate the use of my brushes, just wondering if its been tried before for shaving??

Thanks nemesis will look into that, roll on Wednesday...
Tuesday:
Package left near my bin(nice), only to find the health counter had delivered a TOBS sandalwood instead of rose, I have the sandalwood and yes it's worth more ATM but really want to try the rose so have returned it (free post so not too bad) no EJ89 or blades as yet I am inpatient can't wait for the post tomorrow! Oh and had a hit and run on my car lovely

I think I may pull out the castle Forbes tonight I deserve it

Theres no way I could buy the rose, as my wife would immediately commandeer it for herself...

Another DE this morning, this time with a fresh Feather installed (EJ sea buckthorn soap) - luvverly! I think I'm getting the hang of this :) - Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it - good luck

Hit & run on the car? Arse! Had that myself a couple of weeks ago - not enough damage to think about insurance, but bloody annoying every time I see the dent in my bumper :mad:

Sorry to muscle in...

The Rose is lovely, hope yours turns up soon Nishy. Another hit and run victim, came out from work and saw a lovely big dent in my wing. My car is crap but it's still annoying. The even more annoying thing is I know what car it was, it was the car I parked next to when I got there, as the paint transfer matched it.

Re: RE: time to start seen all the hype cant resist

Nishy said:
The blades arrived today thanks lose the beard they look fascinating. Just waiting on the EJ89 now

There was me worried that my tight arse second class post would mean that you would get the razor first and have no blades for it.

No superb service on your part ordered Sunday evening and with me by Wednesday at the ease of walking to my letterbox and cat a great price thank you

Just had my first shave with the EJ89 DE this morning. I gave myself extra time being my first and made sure I had read up on everything, hence my only fault could be lack of experience.

Knowing that it will take some time and experience to get a bbs shave I didn't expect too much. Well I follow suit it was:

A. More comfortable; the blade (Astra superior stainless recommended and supplied by lose the beard great choice for a starter) cut the stubble, as opposed to the tug and cut method with multiple blades.

B. less irritation, I finally managed a three pass shave WTG, XTG and finally WTG again

C. More enjoyable but personally this enjoyment arises through attaining the divine bbs shave as opposed to the razor, yes it's nostalgic and fun but I want the bbs.

D. Very little razor burn and closer shave.

I'm glad I learnt how to lather and pre/post shave with cartridge razor shaving for a few months, simply thus allowed one to develop essential shave prep skills. I chose a classic in proraso pre (green) followed by TOBS avocado (silver tip omega-TOBS shaving mug), thayers rose and aloe witch hazel and finally tabac a/s. I showered and exfoliated before hand to ensure hydrated whiskers.

I did have two very very minor nicks but hardly worth worrying about and in certain areas its closer than the fusion, partly due to the three alterior grain passes; however I could not do this with a fusion due to razor burn.

Overall well worth the purchase (tony you were right and I hope this review merits a worthy audience ;) ) and would recommend DE shaving with an EJ89 over the fusion.

Lesson learnt; Technology can adapt a tool but adaptation may not be improvement .

Excellent, sounds like a successful first DE shave. As you get more practice things will naturally improve and fall into place. The BBS finish will happen through plenty of practice.

Thanks lose the beard may I ask, I find using a hard soap, though less cushion, provides a closer shave with a fusion is this the general case with a DE as well? Also I completely removed the blade after shaving and put it back in its paper packet is this totally unnecessary to avoid rust if I shave 4 times a week?

Great to hear of a successful 1st DE, Nishi, nice one!

Don't worry about taking out the blade afterward though, as you will need to change the blade every 3/4 shaves anyway (I found this out to my cost) & if you shave everyday there's no way you'll get rust.

Nishy said:
Thanks lose the beard may I ask, I find using a hard soap, though less cushion, provides a closer shave with a fusion is this the general case with a DE as well? Also I completely removed the blade after shaving and put it back in its paper packet is this totally unnecessary to avoid rust if I shave 4 times a week?

I know the question was addressed to Steve, but, if you're interested in other peoples' opinions, I'd say that I don't notice any difference in closeness of shave between soaps and creams - for me the razor/blade combination is noticeable and has masked any difference there may have been to the point where I haven't perceived it. IME, the main difference is that creams tend to lather slightly quicker and slightly more voluminously, but, if anything, the lather can be denser and have better lubrication than many creams, though there are plenty of exceptions to this and differences in the exact amount of water added and how long you work the lather seem to outweigh much of that soap vs. cream divide.

It may be that you're not loading the brush quite as heavily from a hard soap puck as you could be, and so the lather is going on in a slightly thinner layer than with creams, though that's purely a guess on my part. Depending on your water quality, I'd suggest loading the brush for a good 30 seconds, perhaps up to a minute in hard water conditions, and softening the surface of the puck with a teaspoon or so of water beforehand.

As for the elusive BBS, trying to attain it usually leads to bad habits and the resultant irritation/ingrowns/weepers. It seems to come without trying once your technique develops sufficiently, but, even then, it more than likely won't happen every shave.

Back
Top Bottom