This forum - the backgound.

Rev-O said:
I know Jim pops in here so maybe he just bans people who are very active here and/or who post stuff here that he doesn't like?

Quite why/how that affects our ability to participate on B&B /CONUK I don't know. You'd think they be happy that we've taken all the smutty jokes and group buys over here.

It's a very poor way to behave, but I'm past caring. I'd be happy to be a member of them all and play by the different rules but if someone takes their ball away then there's not much you can do.

Thought I'd bring this thread up again - may be of interest to some of our latest members.

What user name does Jim have here?

Fido said:
Rev-O said:
I know Jim pops in here so maybe he just bans people who are very active here and/or who post stuff here that he doesn't like?

Quite why/how that affects our ability to participate on B&B /CONUK I don't know. You'd think they be happy that we've taken all the smutty jokes and group buys over here.

It's a very poor way to behave, but I'm past caring. I'd be happy to be a member of them all and play by the different rules but if someone takes their ball away then there's not much you can do.

Thought I'd bring this thread up again - may be of interest to some of our latest members.

What user name does Jim have here?

Hey Fido!

Just finished reading all 7 pages of postings. How very interesting, and thank you! Am not quite sure how I started into into it all, just became aware that there appeared to be a thread that I could'nt remember seeing before - in front of me - clicked on it, and away I went. Provided a few answers to some questions that were forming in the old grey matter - as it were! :)

Well that sure makes for interesting reading, as a newish member I have done a lot of research into DE shaving. I was asked recently how I found this site. I am a member of B&B but have never posted on the site, as I have never felt comfortable on it, unlike when I stumbled across this site.
What I would say is that my research into all things shaving, led inevitably for instance in the Brush section to Fido's posts of which I read all his blogs. It was at this point I realised there had been things happening on other sites. As I was only interested in learning about DE shaving, I was not really bothered at the time. It is interesting now I have spent time on this site and enjoyed the banter and friendly advise to learn how this site was formed.
I now realise why now I found B&B a site that although at fist look, should provide all the information any one should ever need in this hobby, was totally lacking in, shall we say, British humor This is a small fun sight that still, that has not lost sight that this is a fun hobby not a commercial enterprise, granted a few will help us spend money. Even then you are buying off people you have come to like and trust, a rare thing in this day and age.
One last point would be nice to not be the only Softy Southerner, seem to be surrounded by a bunch of testosterone filled Scots, how did that happen. ???

Well, it's true that Scotland and Yorkshire are well represented here. When one considers that the inhabitants of both areas have a certain reputation for an unwillingness to part with money frivolously, perhaps that's a partial explanation. After all, we've all saved oodles of cash, haven't we? :lol:

Very interesting read that,was wondering how it all started.Aint got a clue how i ended up here to be honest think it was mentioned in a magazine or sunday supplement,I would just like to say a big thank you to the mods and every single person who makes this forum what it is,Not only helping out with shave related stuff but every thing from cooking pigs to building pcs,Thats what makes it a great forum in my eyes,Long may it continue..good work guys. ;)

Yeah this is a great forum. Haven't been a member of any other shaving forum but have visited b and b quite a bit when I was starting out to get some rough ideas on what blades, razors and cream were rated. Found squire's blade reviews helpful back then.
From what I've read here there is a weird clique undercurrent to their forum ecosystem which I cannot understand but i get a lot of satisfaction and information from here and have found people very welcoming.
Before I bought anything from anybody on here I was a bit nervous gifting money to a total stranger in the hope of getting goods but the fact that I have had no problems and have also been graced with some freebies from fellow strangers in here has further cemented my loyalty here. So thanks guys.

Oh, and i'm from Essex. But you can't choose where you were born.
:p

well i ended up on this forum as many probably did.... e.g. i found B&B... didnt like it much, and wanted a UK based forum with a better community spirit.

I'm pleased to say i've found it here. Ive been lucky enough to be a member of a few such forums with genuinely superb spirit, no real active moderation, which means the onus is on us as members to moderate ourselves and keep it civil. 99.9% of the time, people manage just that and it's all good fun.

I like it here :)

oh and I'm Edinburgh born and bred!

I like the fact we dont have to keep it civil :lol: Most ive dealt with on here can take the piss and dont mind having a bit back as well,thats the way it should be and makes for a good fun freindly banter forum :D

I got here when I enquired on B&B about vendors in Europe, and someone told me there's a banned vendor (Paul) and a forum in the UK.

Didn't take long to find TSR after that...

And yes, it's great fun and we can say things and still not offend each other here. Great place.

yep... its good that we can be open and honest here and that we can all take a bit of piss taking...

so get your watches out of their safety deposit boxes and wear them ya big pansy ;)

This sounds familiar :roll:
I found this forum after a post in The Snug on Our forum about traditional shaving re kindled my interests :shave
Our forum too was a spin off from another forum where a number of our members were made to feel uncomfortable :(
As a forum administrator myself I truly understand the hard work (unpaid) and dedication needed to keep a good forum running and this I feel is a good friendly forum :cool:
Thank you for a great UK based shaving forum.

Back
Top Bottom