This forum - the backgound.

I stumbled upon this forum a few days ago when googling about shaving issues. I then became aware of other forums such as Badger and Blade and The Shave Den. I prefer smaller groups and joined this one and began posting. Gradually I am picking things up. But I'm interested in hearing about the background to this forum's birth. Was it a breakaway from another group to provide a UK focus? Was it Boab alone who set it up or were others helping? Who is keeping it going and how is it paid for. I belong to a small HiFi Group run by one person without any help. All members of these groups run on a voluntary basis should be really grateful to those who put in the effort to maintain them. So who do we really have to thank for this site? I have really picked up a lot in my few days here and hope to put something back when I have more knowledge and experience.

At the end of the day you have several people to thank: Hando, Antdad, Jim @ B&B and Boab...

Once upon a time we had a social group on B&B called CONUK (play on CONUS which is what most sellers there will ship to) run by Hando. Sometime along the road, Jim spotted that we were all breaking rules and banned Hando & Antdad as being the ringleaders, introduced a heap of conditions for membership of CONUK and basically killed it dead in the water.

Boab set up a temporary home and then this place and all the fun moved and now we can even talk about things like grown ups :) without resorting to calling each other "Liberal" and toting guns.

that's about the size of it.Things came to a head when Ant started a groupbuy of P160 soap.This was from an unapproved vendor whose name was filtered out on the B&B site.I was already finding the B&B site frustrating because I was only really active in the subforum of CONUK and the functionality was awful.No sticky posts, unsearchable, limited characters per post etc etc so I was already planning to open a UK based forum up.The big drama which was induced by the heavy handed approach of the mods just pushed me into getting this off the ground.In the end we got free speech, better forum functionality and a cracking P160 soap in a nicely donated oak bowl (from Paul at Connaught). :)

I am proud to be the owner of one of those P160 soap bowls! Special thanks to those mentioned above, but everyone who posts here helps to make this forum what it is. :shave

Thanks for these observations. I am moderately active in a few forums (HiFi, Bells, Saga (don't laugh) and have looked at others. Generally, smaller groups are much more useful. But sometimes I guess things take off and are impossible to control. Snipers cause a lot of problems. I have noticed here a complete absence of pettiness and an excellent spirit So well done to all concerned.

Pig Cat said:
I am proud to be the owner of one of those P160 soap bowls! Special thanks to those mentioned above, but everyone who posts here helps to make this forum what it is. :shave

I can just see an aged PC, showing a mould covered, grotty wooden bowl to has grandkids in 50 years time and saying, 'my boys, I have an interesting story to tell you......................'

philamac said:
Pig Cat said:

I can just see an aged PC, showing a mould covered, grotty wooden bowl to has grandkids in 50 years time and saying, 'my boys, I have an interesting story to tell you......................'

Ha! Ha! Not sure about 50 years! If my oldest is a naughty boy we could be talking 30 if you assume my grandson would be of shaving age. Also not quite as glamarous as showing him a bullet or a piece of shrapnel.

Even worse I would get him to shave with the manky remnants of the P160!! :lol:

Pig Cat said:
Ha! Ha! Not sure about 50 years! If my oldest is a naughty boy we could be talking 30 if you assume my grandson would be of shaving age. Also not quite as glamarous as showing him a bullet or a piece of shrapnel.

Look on the bright side (as I do every day I wake up) as the father of a son - there won't be any teenage boys coming to my door to say "Hi, I'm here to have sex with your daughter" - obviously I know they don't say that part out loud, but I was a teenage boy once and I remember how they think...

I mentioned this to one of my colleagues the day after his daughter was born to give him 15 or so years to get used to the idea...

hando said:
while dishing out the Worthers Original :lol:

Is it just me or was there no such thing as Werthers Original when I was a lad, yet the advertising showed cobweb-covered grandad dishing them out "like when he was a lad" - obviously the old fart was senile (or German like the Royal Family)

PaulH said:
hunnymonster said:
PaulH said:
there is even some useful info on the site :shock:

No there isn't - if we have no information we don't have to register with the Information Commissioner's Office :lol:
Alright then, maybe not useful? Interesting, we have got some interesting info here!

I think you must be referring to the Asda cheese squares thread. If not, please enlighten me. :?

Back
Top Bottom