This forum - the backgound.

hunnymonster said:
Incidentally, our Ashes-losing colonial friends in "Great Southern Land" are crowing about becoming the largest social group, I've just let them know that CONUK was decapitated and has moved elsewhere and become bigger and better - so they lost that too :D

Lol wingin Pom-wannabees

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX3UqY8KZpU[/youtube]

hunnymonster said:
Incidentally, our Ashes-losing colonial friends in "Great Southern Land" are crowing about becoming the largest social group, I've just let them know that CONUK was decapitated and has moved elsewhere and become bigger and better - so they lost that too :D

Lol wingin Pom-wannabees

not a good fortnight for our fellow aussies :mrgreen: My bro's in law are still not talking too me & i dare not mention the C word in my house.

I think I am beginning to understand the reasons for the breakaway from B&B. I registered there to keep a look out on what went on. I posted about my Hungerford experience in the general forum after I saw someone had posted there about Trumpers thinking it also may be of interest. It got moved to the shopping and deals forum. I posted a grumble about it being moved in the general forum under a heading I titled 'Moving Threads' Next thing I see is that was moved to site feedback and I get a PM ticking me off for being belligerent and demanding I express concerns only by PM to the Forum moderator and asking for my commitment to that before posting again. So in effect they don't want any criticisms expressed in open forum. Seems very defensive to me.

People like me who are new to these forums really don't need heavy handed treatment when we offend forum etiquette. Just a friendly bit of advice expressed in a polite way is enough.

Not a great fan of B&B at present.

Never really bothered with B&B before and from what I've learnt here never will, spent most of my time on SMF and since discovering this fine forum I haven't been back :D

Fido said:
People like me who are new to these forums really don't need heavy handed treatment when we offend forum etiquette. Just a friendly bit of advice expressed in a polite way is enough.

Blimey, things are pretty scary over there these days. Perhaps this sort of thing is unique to America, or maybe it is just inevitable given the size that the forum has grown to? I occasionally have a quick browse through the forums but increasingly find little of interest. Even the reviews section isn't that informative. If I want an opinion on a product I would rather ask these guys. Also, they seem to add more categories every day. What the hell is a Clown House anyway? :lol:

Strangely, I've just looked at the user count and they are experiencing their most users ever online at the moment. As I recall it used to be at its max at least two years ago. I wonder what's going on? :?:

Fido said:
So in effect they don't want any criticisms expressed in open forum. Seems very defensive to me.

Not a great fan of B&B at present.

You're nobody at B&B unless you have at least one 'strike' against you :lol:

This was my last post on B&B in Site Feedback:

I have been told by PM that my recent posts are belligerent and that my grumble should have been made by PM. I apologise if my conduct has caused offence.

No one need worry about repitition from me.

Bye for now...........

This has been followed by a message telling me I have a life ban; no reason. And a site lock out.

I think it must be a culture thing. In my belligerent post I did say " I don't know why I ........ing bovered" Yes exactly that with dots. Having just watched 60 episodes of The Wire I cannot believe that an American would take offence at my language!

I'm lost for words.

I still browse there now and again but I find it of diminishing value in terms of the knowlede I can pick up. It is a shame because it used to have a different atmosphere, perhaps HM is right. Either way I am glad we do have alternatives and while I still talk to some of the members there I an saddened by the changes cannot see me contributing if there is a fear of a ban for voicing an opinion.

quite sad but doesn't surprise me.Considering how much money they must be making off the site I would expect them to treat 'customers' better.

I'm not with all this knocking B&B - we broke away from that site because we did not wish to conform to their rules - fair enough.
That does not give us the right to criticise them for conforming to their own mores - it is a US site after all.
As for B&B/CONUK I am still a member and still use it for reference and the occasional posting, trying as I do to conform with their concept of Gentlemanly behaviour - I suppose it's all about "When in Rome..."
Now if you will excuse me I have to go for a shit before I say something rude & puerile.

I too still browse and post on B&B, mainly in the Barber Shop and the food/drink bits these days as there is still all sorts of non-shaving stuff to learn and enjoy.

But in the shaving bits, I do think that a lot of very knowledgeable B&B'ers who used to contribute many informative and well written posts a couple of years ago are rarely sighted now. Certainly many thread openers are now only single sentence such as 'What is the best smellingTruefitt & Hill cream?' followed by one word answers in the responding posts, completely pointless really. As someone already said, it is probably due to the continuing increase in an already massive membership. I suggest that the work of the mods is no longer as fun or interesting for them as it once was, which may make their sometimes prickly attitude a bit easier to understand.

I am enjoying 'dual citizenship', and this place is providing a good interchange of knowledge, though I think we need a few more items in the Review section! Somebody must be using Boots sticks, Body Shop Balm etc etc ;)

I've only ever lurked at B&B, and I've found it to be a fairly useful source of information from time to time. But the atmosphere there is strange for all the reasons gone into above: it was with considerable relief that I stumbled through the door here and found some like minded British people who aren't too earnest and appreciate a bit of levity, don't subscribe to Guns 'n' Ammo, and can express themselves with a minimum of acronyms. A lot like being in the pub, actually.

Back
Top Bottom