Synthetic Convert!

If you apply soap to a warm sponge it will lather far more than if it was cold. As a synthetic brush cannot retain heat, surely it cannot lather as well as a Badger? May be i'm wrong?

It can retain heat actually. I soak my synthetics for this very reason.

I've only had 2 badgers, one cheap pure and one expensive Shavemac silvertip. The synthetics wipe the floor with them.

I've never been a fan of badgers, but the arrival of the latest gen synthetics have also made sure that it'll never happen :lol:

@Hourwerk If you are in the US and want a scuttle go on Etsy. There are dozens of US potters making them.

I see no reason to have a change from synthetic. I'd have a boar hair brush as I know they come from Europe and animal welfare conditions are better but I don't like the feel of them. One was used on me in Italy while having a barber shave recently and it did not feel as nice as my synthetic. I am sure badger is better than synthetic but the margin is probably not great enough for me to be tempted. As I said I know China's reputation on animal slaughter but that may not be the case with badgers? It is the not knowing. Plus I read that synthetic are a bit less susceptible to mould and mildew: you pays your money...

Last edited:
@Hourwerk If you are in the US and want a scuttle go on Etsy. There are dozens of US potters making them.

I see no reason to have a change from synthetic. I'd have a boar hair brush as I know they come from Europe and animal welfare conditions are better but I don't like the feel of them. One was used on me in Italy while having a barber shave recently and it did not feel as nice as my synthetic. I am sure badger is better than synthetic but the margin is probably not great enough for me to be tempted. As I said I know China's reputation on animal slaughter but that may not be the case with badgers? It is the not knowing. Plus I read that synthetic are a bit less susceptible to mould and mildew: you pays your money...

On the subject of animal welfare in China, do you really think they will treat badgers any differently? Even if I was trotted round being shown 'humane' practises over there by a supplier, I think I would have to be pretty naive to believe that once I was on the plane homeward bound these practises would be carried out throughout the country where the animals are 'gathered'.
o_O

Probably not as I say it is a matter of conscience for me not to buy animal products from China. I am not a vegetarian but if one does have to kill an animal for consumption at least do it humanely. Most boar brushes in Europe come from Italy where wild boar is highly prized for its meat. I have seen people on boar hunts out there and they shoot the things with a ball as big as a marble. They are dead before they hit the ground. I would not hesitate to buy a boar brush if I liked them but not keen.

Concerning synthetics, I can thoroughly recommend the Italian-made Zenith Synt. I've just got and used one, and it seems to have a little more backbone than some others. Whether it does or not, it certainly whips up one heck of a lather with very little effort from a tin of Nanny's.

Concerning synthetics, I can thoroughly recommend the Italian-made Zenith Synt. I've just got and used one, and it seems to have a little more backbone than some others. Whether it does or not, it certainly whips up one heck of a lather with very little effort from a tin of Nanny's.
Have one on BST just now

I've got one too and after comparing against Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Plissoft, Ubersoft II and Omega brushes I think it's safe to say it does have a lot of backbon due to knot density, but the tips are still relatively soft. A great brush for face lathering or getting to grips with hard soaps.

Probably not as I say it is a matter of conscience for me not to buy animal products from China. I am not a vegetarian but if one does have to kill an animal for consumption at least do it humanely. Most boar brushes in Europe come from Italy where wild boar is highly prized for its meat. I have seen people on boar hunts out there and they shoot the things with a ball as big as a marble. They are dead before they hit the ground. I would not hesitate to buy a boar brush if I liked them but not keen.

I agree with you completely. I have used boars and will probable get more at some point.

I always just figured they used the hair from all of the slaughter hogs in the food industry. Makes me that much more supportive of boar brushes, that it was putting something to use that would otherwise go to waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom