Synthetic Convert!

Being somewhat ignorant towards brushes I really can't see much further than what my Muhle synthetic achieves. Love it and here with me on vacation

I, too, am a convert to the new breeds of synthetic brushes. One of the nice things now is to be able to have a custom handle like the Wolf Whiskers, (or, in my case, a Dorian) fitted with a synthetic knot. That way, I reckon to get a brush with handsome looks, great performance and low maintenance.

I typically find my synthetic knots very utilitarian, producing great lather fast, but lacking in personality, not sexy at all :)

Last edited:
For me a brush is a brush. It does a job. If I can get my razorock plissoft for 12 quid and it does a damn fine job of whipping up a lather why spend £200 on a brush that does exactly the same thing? It's like any other hobby. There's a touch of elitism. I also use an e cig and there are people who must have the best most expensive mod or tank on the market. It does the same job as my £50 mod. Not for me I'm afraid. Times are tough and I like function over form every time.

I typically find my synthetic knots very utilitarian, producing great lather fast, but lacking in personality, not sexy at all :)
Granted, there isn't the fun of watching an animal brush "bed-in" as you use it; whether it's a badger blooming, or a boar getting split ends. On the other hand, I don't miss the ones which shed like billy-oh, smell for a long while and other delights.

I'm a big fan of bowl and scuttle lathering, and am not too inclined to be precious with brushes when doing so. Synthetics allow me to whip up a storm without worrying about breaking hairs, getting them into a twist (like horsehair brushes) or other limitations. I haven't had one fail on me yet, but if it did, the replacement cost is rather less eye-watering than a decent badger.

For me a brush is a brush. It does a job. If I can get my razorock plissoft for 12 quid and it does a damn fine job of whipping up a lather why spend £200 on a brush that does exactly the same thing? It's like any other hobby. There's a touch of elitism. I also use an e cig and there are people who must have the best most expensive mod or tank on the market. It does the same job as my £50 mod. Not for me I'm afraid. Times are tough and I like function over form every time.

Because I can guarantee that your £12 Razorock will not feel as nice while doing it as my Chubby 2. I like synthetics a lot, but they are not up there with a high-end badger.

Because I can guarantee that your £12 Razorock will not feel as nice while doing it as my Chubby 2. I like synthetics a lot, but they are not up there with a high-end badger.
Maybe not but at a fraction of the price I can live with that. A good badger is 10x the price but not 10x better performance. Law of diminishing returns.

Weight is 82 grams for each of my brushes (or try the one they sell with shiny metal handle at 102 grams).

Last edited:
Maybe not but at a fraction of the price I can live with that. A good badger is 10x the price but not 10x better performance. Law of diminishing returns.

That is true, I needed to spend a lot on a badger to get one that I liked. In terms of bang for the buck synthetics are tough to beat, for me they don't feel as nice but the performance cannot be disputed.

Back
Top Bottom