Supermarket meat

If you want to talk about roasting, I've roasted a suckling pig and it was excellent so my balls are the size of Jupiter, bring it on.

Mind you my oxtail parmentier tonight was a bit of a disaster.

I'm not a big meat eater, but over the last couple of months HWMOM and I have got into the habit of making a fry up on Sunday when we have the two oldest grandkids here.
So I was examining the ingredients of a few different packets of bacon in the supermarket and decided to try the butchers instead, in hopes of seeing if his bacon had any less water in it.
So I asked what seemed to be the owner whether his bacon had water in it, and he didn't know. :shock:
So what I'm wondering is, why do butchers not have to display the ingredients? Or if they do, why don't they? It seems strange that they give ingredients when it's packaged in a supermarket, including nitrates and the percentage of water etc. but butchers don't do this.
With soap if it's not practical to put the ingredients on the soap, then they should at least be available at the point of sale. Anyone know what the situation is with meat??

cheese_dave said:
If you want to talk about roasting, I've roasted a suckling pig and it was excellent so my balls are the size of Jupiter, bring it on.

If you had real cahones Dave you would have lovingly built a fire and slavishly spit roast the beast rather than conveniently cutting it up to fit in your Belling. ;)

antdad said:
If you had real cahones Dave you would have lovingly built a fire and slavishly spit roast the beast rather than conveniently cutting it up to fit in your Belling. ;)
Cos I wasn't under enough pressure already on Christmas Day :lol:

soapalchemist said:
So I asked what seemed to be the owner whether his bacon had water in it, and he didn't know. :shock:
It's true, our butcher makes his own pies, pasties, etc., and he doesn't put what's in them apart from a very rudimentary point of view, eg BEEF or CHICKEN.

Mind you, if your butcher doesn't even know how his own bacon is made, I'd go to another butcher.

Thanks Andy, but I don't think I'm willing to pay p & p for what is probably expensive bacon, that might then end up going off on the doorstep.
However, I now recall that there is a butcher just 10 mins walk from me, that I have never been to in over 18 years of living here. I'm hoping maybe he is good, based on the fact that he has survived being opposite Tesco Express, economic down turns etc.

soapalchemist said:
However, I now recall that there is a butcher just 10 mins walk from me, that I have never been to in over 18 years of living here. I'm hoping maybe he is good, based on the fact that he has survived being opposite Tesco Express, economic down turns etc.

Perhaps the reason it has survived in the face of such competition is the 'special stuff'....

_38280686_briss150.jpg

Has anyone tried these or know if anything similar is sold in the U.K.? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://steamykitchen.com/6626-review-how-to-dry-age-steaks-with-drybag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://steamykitchen.com/6626-review-ho ... rybag.html</a><!-- m -->

soapalchemist said:
Has anyone tried these or know if anything similar is sold in the U.K.? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://steamykitchen.com/6626-review-how-to-dry-age-steaks-with-drybag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://steamykitchen.com/6626-review-ho ... rybag.html</a><!-- m -->

I've not tried that but I have tried her other trick of salting cheaper steak before cooking. It's not miraculous, it won't turn bad steak into good, but it does make it more palatable.

Yes, I saw that; I'm going to try it when my organic rump steak turns up next week from local farming co-op. For fillet steak it is £26.68 a kg, which is about £1 cheaper than non organic in Waitrose. The man who delivered the leaflet said that their beef is dry cured, but I've sent an email to the site to double check this, as it seems too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom