Supermarket meat

:D After a lot of hard work finally found a great Butchers in a town called Thorne,about 40 mins away from me..Purchased 2 rib eye steaks for tea saturday and they were perfection :hungrig ...The smoked bacon butties for breckie this morning was probabaly the best bacon i have ever tasted as well..Looking forward to the roast lamb next..

Got to love a good butcher, we popped into ours yesterday and I picked up a brace of pheasant for £4.
They will get bag roasted in seasoned flour and cider to keep them moist :hungrig

For me the revelation of a proper butcher was pork. Can't remember what cut it was now, but I remember chowing down and being amazed at the amount of flavour and moisture in it. Mainstream supermarket pork is utterly awful (though Waitrose do some good organic bacons), pork from a proper butcher is staggering.

Just remembered I have a brace of pheasant hanging in the shed, I think they've been there about a week and a half now -wince-

All this talk of food is making me salivate! :p

I only get my meat from the butchers. I like that because the fellas there are really cheerful and give me what I want, how I want it. They're more than happy to slice or cut it for me. They get a big thumbs up from me.

I'd rather they cut my meat for me as I find big chopping knives a bit scary as I'm a bit clumsy and accident prone... (says me who uses a double edge razor to shave with lol. I know, I know! But to me that's different. I'm more relaxed with a small blade on a razor than a huge carving knife or cleaver!)

I've noticed that supermarkets I've been to don't do that. I remember asking the lad at the meat counter to give me so much of something and cut it up for me. But he said they couldn't do that. Tsk tsk!

I love to cook stirfrys and casseroles. Things that cook in one pot. Very easy and tasty. I can just about make spaghetti bolognaise (with the 2 pots for the meat and for the pasta).

I would love love love to be able to cook a proper roast dinner with everything. I can do the tastiest roast potatoes ever if I just did those on their own.

But I have trouble trying to co-ordinate everything else like the meat, veg, roast potatoes, gravy, and yorkshire puddings (lots of different pots and pans on at different times) to be cooked and ready at the same time.

I remember growing up, my mum and my nana would be trying to tell me something about timing."Find out what takes the longest to cook (the meat), and work backwards", they'd say.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated.

:)

Roast what exactly? Beef, Pork, Chicken?

If you are serious and inexperienced your best bet is to buy a meat thermometer and make sure you leave enough time for the meat to rest no matter what it is.

antdad said:
Roast what exactly?

The usual. Roast chicken, lamb, beef and pork.

No doubt there must be a vast array of animal that can be roasted that I am unaware of.

I would love to do a simple roast dinner with all the trimmings.

Ps. roast pork is my favourite mmmmm *drools*

dylan-shave said:

511iadnZ92L._SS500_.jpg

This book is great and includes recipes for roast dinners and lots of favourite meals. Well worth a try. I think Jamie Oliver is brilliant.

I agree. He gets a bit of a bad rap from some people, which I can't understand. He's clearly enthusiastic and passionate about what he does and his recipes are readily accessible to anyone who wants to give it a go. He's not the greatest chef in the world but he knows that. His high street chain of restaurants on the other hand are a different proposition, all style over substance.

Thanks. I shall keep a lookout for his book. :)

Ps. is he the same Jamie Oliver that banned Turkey Twizzlers from the school dinner table?! Hehe :p

Pig Cat said:
dylan-shave said:

511iadnZ92L._SS500_.jpg

This book is great and includes recipes for roast dinners and lots of favourite meals. Well worth a try. I think Jamie Oliver is brilliant.

Don't worry about the idea of a grand roast dinner for now, just try learning to roast a piece of meat on it's own, that way you familiarize yourself with the oven and you are not opening the oven door too often. You can easily accompany that with a variety of other veg dishes that don't have to be roasted.

Pick something straight forward to start with like chicken thighs/leg, a piece of sirloin/rump or even belly pork and work up.

There are plenty of instruction and recipes available online,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes</a><!-- m -->

As for the blubber monkey, well the granny's like him because he's a bit cheeky but I would happily sear his testicles between two skillets.

Cool. Thanks. :)

LOL blubber monkey! :p

Ooh what would you serve with his bollocks? lol

antdad said:
Don't worry about the idea of a grand roast dinner for now, just try learning to roast a piece of meat on it's own, that way you familiarize yourself with the oven and you are not opening the oven door too often. You can easily accompany that with a variety of other veg dishes that don't have to be roasted.

Pick something straight forward to start with like chicken thighs/leg, a piece of sirloin/rump or even belly pork and work up.

There are plenty of instruction and recipes available online,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes</a><!-- m -->

As for the blubber monkey, well the granny's like him because he's a bit cheeky but I would happily sear his testicles between two skillets.

dylan-shave said:
Apparently, they have people monitoring school pupils lunchboxes. Ooh-err missus!

Oh yes indeed they do (or did until several here kicked up a stink about the uninvited intrusion) at my son's school.

It wouldn't be so bad if the butty box inspectors could identify what they were looking at, but they failed to identify a wholemeal ham sandwich made using home baked bread (made to look white), buttered with home churned butter & home roasted ham. Apparently they forecast some difficulty in the eating of a pomegranate half too (spoon supplied).

Boils my piss.

hunnymonster said:
dylan-shave said:
Apparently, they have people monitoring school pupils lunchboxes. Ooh-err missus!

Oh yes indeed they do (or did until several here kicked up a stink about the uninvited intrusion) at my son's school.

It wouldn't be so bad if the butty box inspectors could identify what they were looking at, but they failed to identify a wholemeal ham sandwich made using home baked bread (made to look white), buttered with home churned butter & home roasted ham. Apparently they forecast some difficulty in the eating of a pomegranate half too (spoon supplied).

Boils my piss.

Boiled aqua vita is quite popular in some countries hehe :p

I'm glad I'm not at school anymore. I wouldn't want my cadbury mini rolls or jammy dodgers confiscated. How very dare they?!

I hated most school dinners when I was a lad, apart from pudding. Jam roly poly with custard, yummy! I especially loved the skin on the custard. It's the best bit! Mmmm :p

Have the sandwich police chilled out a bit now since that big kafuffle at your lad's school?

Back
Top Bottom