Supermarket meat

The good thing about a butcher's shop - or a decent farm shop, or even fishmonger if you can find such a thing - is you can get to know the people running it. That works for the consumer in two ways; first, hopefully they would feel bad about selling you pap products, and second you can start to ask them to supply you with "odd" things. I've just ordered a suckling pig off my butcher, ready for Christmas. I bet you'd struggle to get something like that from a supermarket.

cheese_dave said:
The good thing about a butcher's shop - or a decent farm shop, or even fishmonger if you can find such a thing - is you can get to know the people running it. That works for the consumer in two ways; first, hopefully they would feel bad about selling you pap products, and second you can start to ask them to supply you with "odd" things. I've just ordered a suckling pig off my butcher, ready for Christmas. I bet you'd struggle to get something like that from a supermarket.

The odd things sounds good :lol: :lol:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZrn3sC3bU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZrn3sC3bU</a><!-- m -->

I popped into my butcher's yesterday for some diced venison, and asked him if he'd got my suckling pig in yet, as I was wondering how big it was.

"No, mate," he informed me, "it's still running round."

Kinda reminds you of that relationship between meat and cuddly wittw animals.

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:
Damian Murphy said:
Good thing PigCat's not a butcher. Imagine him asking every female customer if she'd like some sausage ?

True, because at this time of year every good bird deserves a decent stuffing. :shock: :?

Your poor poor chickens.

I'd say they were lucky, lucky, luck, luck, luck, percurkkk!!!!!

:oops: Oh dear, think I'm spending a bit too much time with them. In fact I'm just about to go and get them up. Bah! It's bloody freezing out there!!! :evil:

Well found a local farm selling stuff,was recommended and the fella seemed an ok chap...gave me a right good deal as a new customer and a few tips on cuts etc..told me he only sells female? any ideas as to why...Anyway got some nice beef and pork so will know more after weekend :hungrig Also that book cheesedave recommended is a cracker well worth investing in it.. ;)

Use a good local butcher on a regular basis and you'll never get a bad deal.

We use our butcher every Monday evening to get our meat for the week, normally the same bundle so its waiting for us, any thing else gets added while we are there. Have lost count at how many times we have got home to find they have put an extra couple of bits and pieces in.

Could stand and watch them cut meat all day if there was no chance of me getting lifted for loitering...

slash said:
told me he only sells female? any ideas as to why...

I'm not sure why that would be a selling point, a steer is usually bought up for consumption only whereas cows are bred and fed for maximum output and then usually turned into burger and pie fodder. I'm not saying your's is but I've been to a few "farm shops" and some definitely try and get away with selling product of an unknown provenance, just ask him.

I remember purchasing my first set of chickens from a farm that sold "farm fresh" eggs with cues of people buying eggs at the farm shop.
The eggs were certainly fresh and came from a farm but he was running a battery farm operation like any other, the eggs tasted of very little and the hens looked like they'd come out of a concentration camp and the people buying them were no wiser.

slash said:
told me he only sells female? any ideas as to why
A line from the book Meat:

"...the majority of pure-bred male dairy calves are shot within a few hours of birth, and either incinerated or fed to local fox hounds."

May he's only selling females because that's all he can get. Not exactly a selling point, I agree! Maybe he said, "normally I only sell TO females"??

Have you stopped eating chicken yet, slash? First thing I did on reading that book was stop eating chicken unless it screamed organic and/or had the Soil Association label on it.

Just been reading that bit about chickens :shock: Deffo think ill try and stop eating the crap stuff..Them figures are scary :eek: 750-800 million chickens eaten a year in uk(6 per person) and 98% are the shite,only 2% organic.

Back
Top Bottom