Supermarket meat

Simon (Framer!) has just replied and confirmed that the beef is dry hung. I think the prices are very good for that, and organic as well. I don't know how far they deliver, but certainly worth a look if you're in the Hereford/ Kiddiminster/Stourbridge area. They may go further afield, you enter your post code when you register on the (very basic) website, and I presume that if you're out of their area they tell you at that stage.
This is the link for the meat page <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modelfarm.org/Assets/ParentCategory.aspx?ParentCategoryID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.modelfarm.org/Assets/ParentC ... tegoryID=1</a><!-- m -->

Just to update people on modelfarm.org. I ordered two rump steaks (organic and dry cured); they were a good size, and plenty for two grandsons and myself. Also a dozen organic eggs which were easily as big as Duchy large which is the only brand you can get in our Waitrose in organic. Total bill approx £8.50, including free delivery which is between about 7.00pm to 9.00pm, so very handy if you're working, you don't have to worry about it going off on a sunny door step, or getting nicked. If I had bought the same meat (not organic/ wet/ probably not cured) in Waitrose, and the same amount of organic eggs it would have cost a lot more, and I would have had to go and get it myself.
At the time I ordered they didn't have any organic veg, although I think they will soon. But apart from organic, it's also nice to support local farmers, and to encourage a little choice outside of the major supermarkets.
The one grandson who loves meat big time, and myself, definitely thought the meat was very tasty, and also tender for rump steak.
Highly recommended.

Excellent prices for dry aged organic meat, I'll give them a call if delivery isn't silly.

:cry: It's silly, they don't deliver.

I have not paid supermarket prices for rubbish meat for 2 years, am lucky enough to work quite near Smithfield market in London, if your lucky enough to be close, its well worth the trip! They do sell to the general public, you do not have to buy a half hundred weight of meat, prices are about one third to half the price you'd pay at the supermarket and of course being fresh it is very tasty! For example I pay £20 for 5 kilos of fresh chicken breast (approx 20 pieces) which I freeze, £14 for 4 kilos of steak mince, good size rump or sirloin appox £4 each! I also buy excellent quality pork sausages £4 for 24, bacon, chops etc. Just google "central markets smithfield" for the website

Lucky Londoners! For those outside London, here is farmer's son's reply about where modelfarm deliver to:

'The main area’s we go to are as follows:

Malvern/Ledbury
Worcester/Kidderminster
Stourbridge
Bristol
Cardiff/Monmouth
Birmingham
Cheltenham/Gloucester/Tewksbury
Ross-On-Wye
Bromsgrove/Droitwitch

These are the main areas, if you would want to be more specific people would have to log onto our website, enter their post code and it will tell them if we go there or not. but if they are in close proximity to any of these places we would go there.'

Back to slumming it...Waitrose or Sainsbury's, same cut, the good one cost 30% more and looks appetising, one dry aged the other "wet", one smells of meat the other nothing, the contrast is quite startling but good to see.

10492108.jpg

Give us a taste/tenderness comparison Antdad.
I'm easing off the steak gluttony (I ordered two fillets last week from modelfarm. I don't know what came over me really, apart from reading this thread, as I never buy steak normally). They were very tasty and tender, but I'm now settling on mutton/ lamb. For some reason their pork is not organic, but is at least free range; and their chicken in the same, but seems very expensive; Waitrose do organic chicken for similar if not cheaper prices. I bought a half sack of potatoes as well; some are a bit soft, but I suppose they're the end of the line. I think I got pretty much the last bag, as nno longer available. But they taste fine (floury) when cooked, and I haven't found any so far that are rotten/marked through the inside, all nice and white.

Uhh, bit embarrassing. I was planning to do a direct comparison on the BBQ this weekend but it didn't happen.

The good stuff is still in the fridge, the wet aged went into a slow cooked ragù which was still very tender but lacking any real flavour, better off with shin or oxtail for that sort of thing, funny how that wet aged stuff starts oxidising really quickly.

I know what you mean Hunny; we visited Ieland's version of an organic center; they told us that as they had put plastic covering over the ducks and geese enclosure (which was huge for the number of birds, and enclosed with reinforced chicken wire, so all open to the air), due to the bird flu problem that was then happening, they couldn't call them organic. Also, for small operations, there is a significant cost involved in getting certification, and shed loads of paperwork on an ongoing basis. A bit like being a tiny 'cosmetics' manufacturer.
So Antdad; are you going to sacrifice the good stuff in a slow cooked ragú (how do you get the accent to go the other way on that 'u') to give a scientific comparison?

Set up a small BBQ last night, well more like a small tray of charcoal as I was only cooking 1 1/2 steaks shared between three of us.

I still had half a rib eye from Sainsbury's which to my surprise hadn't spoilt, in fact it had turned a nice deep ruby similar in colour to the Waitrose steak . Really surprised, it normally starts to turn grey/brown and begins to pong, difference this time was I dried the steaks with paper towels and freshly wrapped them up and turned the fridge up a bit and they lasted rather well for nearly another week.

Well seasoned salt and pepper only, charred and rare at 4 - 5 mins a side, wrapped in foil and left off the heat to keep warm and rest for 10 minutes.

Waitrose - 2" dry aged rib eye - delicious, butter soft, juicy with a very very fine texture and flavour. 9/10. Delicious. We all agreed, one of the best we've tasted.

Sainsbury's - 2" wet aged rib eye - after some unintentional aging, still rather tasty. 7/10. Not bad at all, very tender, juicy with reasonable flavour, charcoal smoke helps with that. I'm going to have to experiment, it wasn't proper aging but it made a difference. I'd certainly try again.

Back
Top Bottom