Super Smooth V2 Testers needed

I'll get my wife to comment, however her form so far hasn't been good. 'Mint', 'Lemon', 'Soap' .... not the most expressive of women ! She also gets annoyed when asked to 'smell my face'
Mine too. I thought we'd need an extension on the the ceiling to accommodate how high her eyebrows went up when she saw my instant collection of 10 vintage avon aftershaves!

Received my 2nd sample shipment yesterday. In the spirit of the requested honesty: none of these fragrances are to my liking. One smells like my late grandfather (fond memories of him, bless him): not a bad scent, it's just not something I want to smell of, myself. The other smells of mosquito repellent.

First shave with Lemon Cool.

Menthol level: felt it on the second pass, mildly. If this is to be a menthol soap, I'd up the dosage.

Performance: One shave in only, but I had a hard time getting this into a good lather. I prefer my lather to be rather thick and gooey; this one's just too light and foamy, on par with olive oil soaps. Not much cushion means closeness and glide, though, not to the detriment of the shave in fact. The shave itself was all right, I just didn't get the right pre-shave feeling when loading, building and smearing. I think sample 1 was better in this regard.

Post-shave: The little tingle that I experienced with sample 1 was not present this time, might be an improvement or it might be down to different fragrance. Tried for a couple of minutes to go without any additional product but quickly felt the need for a dab of balm. Still, I'd say it's a medium- on conditioning, didn't leave much of a film yet didn't leave my skin very dry or stiff.

One shave in only, but I had a hard time getting this into a good lather. I prefer my lather to be rather thick and gooey; this one's just too light and foamy, on par with olive oil soaps.
Not enough water? Too much soap? I had thickest gooiest lather imaginable from a small bit of the Lemon Cool today, but it took quite a long time and a bit of water to get there...

Apologies to Darron for not posting this review earlier. In my defence, I haven't shaved since the last review.

Second shave with v2.2 and first with the Lemon menthol.
Bowl lathered with SOC 2012 SE.
Almond sized amount gave more than enough for 3 passes. The scent mellowed a little in the lather. Not unpleasant but it reminded me of something but I couldn't work out what.

As with the RL sample, the lather was thick and cushioned the Feather Pro blade on it's 3rd outing in a King Cobra.
2 passes with touch ups and bbs results. No nicks or irritation.
Post shave skin was soft and hydrated. No dryness or tightness.
Didn't get any menthol feeling, but picked up some in the scent.

While cleaning up, I realised what the scent reminded me of : Lemon Lockets.

Reactions: Fox
11906208005_ca99ab0aa3_m.jpg

3rd SSv2.2 shave and first go with the lemon cool.

It didn't go well. It should've done. But didn't.
I used a Simpsons colonel xxl brush, which is usually brilliant, and bowl lathered.

I think the difference between the v1 and v2.2 is the amount of water it takes. V1 would take water all day, with a wide useable range. Because the colonel holds more water I probably lathered with more water than before.
The result was lots of lather, but thin and disappointing.
So, lesson learnt. Don't over water. It's not v1.
I'm honestly liking v2.2, the softness is it's most interesting feature, but it's not as forgiving as v1. I'm still 10/10 for v1 and 9/10 for v2.2

I'm saying nothing about the scent. It's moot as it's being discontinued in SS.
I'm keeping it though, and taking it on holiday. To keep the mossies away.

I'm saying nothing about the scent. It's moot as it's being discontinued in SS.
I'm keeping it though, and taking it on holiday. To keep the mossies away.

Thank you for the feedback.

I will have to make you some up with the active ingredient "deet", combined with the Lemon Cool scent will certainly do the trick. You made me laugh, great stuff and keep the feedback coming gents. I am making some great steps here behind the scenes.

Second shave with the Lemon Cool V2.2 this time with no experimentation. Instead I bowl lathered with an Omega H Brush 24mm synthetic. Kerboom is the most apt word to describe the lather which erupted. Very similar experience to the Russian Leather now in terms of performance for me. Very good slickness and post shave, although the lather could be a little denser to give more cushion.

8004b14886a936f42fe8a27ef2fd9d25.jpg

Decisions. I want to keep testing the SSv2.2, but I've just received two tubs of 1912, and shaving law states that new shaving soaps must be opened and used immediately. All previous soaps MUST be put on hold.
So no testing of the SSv2.2 for 2 days, sorry.

Decisions. I want to keep testing the SSv2.2, but I've just received two tubs of 1912, and shaving law states that new shaving soaps must be opened and used immediately. All previous soaps MUST be put on hold.
So no testing of the SSv2.2 for 2 days, sorry.
Certainly don't want to be breaking any laws mate. ;)

2nd shave with v2.2 Russian Leather- just love the scent. Anyway a slightly different testing routine today involving a travel razor boar brush and different water type, as I have ventured across the Irish Sea to sunny Watford with the family to visit Harry Potter - apparently that's where the mystical Hogwarts is - who'd have thought.
In terms of the shave itself I had no trouble building a lather on my face something I would rarely do but was quite enjoyable as I was up early and had no distraction in terms of the wife and children wanting to use the small hotel bathroom in our room. Maybe it was the different tools I was using today or different routine but I would have liked just a tad more in terms of cushioning but nevertheless, still an enjoyable shave with no nicks, cuts, tightness of face or any other niggles post-shave.

So I've used both the Lemon Cool and Russian Leather.
Both are similar in performance which is at the top end of the scale. Smooth shave with lots of glide and great post shave feel.

Lemon Cool
Pros- nice feel, the smell changes as you lather it, easy to use.
Cons- no menthol detected, the smell is a bit industrial at first.

Russian Leather
Pros- nice feel, classic smell, good post shave feel.
Cons- lather feels a bit thin, could get caught up with generic scents.

Both provide good, close shaves.

2nd shave with v2.2 Russian Leather- just love the scent. Anyway a slightly different testing routine today involving a travel razor boar brush and different water type, as I have ventured across the Irish Sea to sunny Watford with the family to visit Harry Potter - apparently that's where the mystical Hogwarts is - who'd have thought.
In terms of the shave itself I had no trouble building a lather on my face something I would rarely do but was quite enjoyable as I was up early and had no distraction in terms of the wife and children wanting to use the small hotel bathroom in our room. Maybe it was the different tools I was using today or different routine but I would have liked just a tad more in terms of cushioning but nevertheless, still an enjoyable shave with no nicks, cuts, tightness of face or any other niggles post-shave.
It's a great day out Harry Potter world :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom