Straights in Spring, anyone?

Hi folks! I had my first straight razor shave last Sat.24th March !! I had put together a motley collection of razors over a fairly lengthy period of time and finally decided to "give it a go". I went all Proraso: pre and post cream, shave cream "sensitive",and a little later,ASL. I chose two straights- and also took what appeared to be a single blade held in a black plastic holder-into the bathroom with me.(this is a longish,totally flat thing completely unlike a conventional razor). I had just had a shower,so felt quite relaxed and unjustifiably confident. To ensure I had a keen edge on the first straight, I stropped it for a bit,(first time using a strop),then faced the mirror, razor at the ready. It was blunt, even though it shaved a section of my arm! the same with the second razor also! Brilliant! so I had a go with the black,plastic thingy. I thought I was really getting somewhere for a while, but I was kidding myself. Looking back at me in the mirror was someone who looked as if he had been punched in the face by someone wearing knuckledusters, not once, but a few times!

So, it wasn't the straights that messed me up, it was the nightmarish black ,plastic "thingy". It was Thursday A.M before I could shave again,(Gillette multi-blade,one pass-very carefully). Anyway, just goes to prove that you can't always believe what sellers say online about open razors being "shave ready." I am now learning all I can about Honing stones and honing with a view to buying yet more gear to sharpen all the razors I have! To this end I find the older postings here, particularly Neil's of course, absolutely invaluable. I shall definitely have another try, especially since this first time can correctly be described as a pathetic non-starter!! :blush::icon_sad:

To spandex... It's an interesting experience. And it does concentrate your mind wonderfully!

Yes; it's Monday and did it again. This time the excuse was a new tube of Speick's that came in the post today.

Wil said:
Have a barber hone coming in from the US, so I hope soon I will be able to maintain the edge on my razors.

Hone came in today. It is a hardly used Aloxite 200. There is a user guide on the inside of the box. Now hope I can do it ;-).

Tried the straight on my neck for the first time today. Down strokes only, which ends up being XWTG, XATG and WTG depending which part. Went well... Still no nicks. I though I had nicked my cheek on the XTG, but it was just a spot, and it didn't even bleed!

How on earth do I shave across my neck?!? Doesn't seem possible. Can someone recommend a video where this is shown? otherwise I'll be relegated to downstrokes only until I can have a shave lesson at Saville Row.

P.s, I don't post what I use each time because it's always the same. Boos soap, TOBS cream, Glycerine, DOVO Favorit 10, TOBS Alum, Witchhazel, TSF.

I go for a number of short curved strokes, seems to do the trick on the neck. Last few shaves have been superb, really glad I dedicated to this for the whole month. In fact my shave on the 31st was the best yet, really clicked into place

I'm still working on this one. ATG for me is a v-shape from earlobe to base of throat on both sides, but right to left throughout. On the right I'm trying to do this with my left hand coming across, as I do on my face (similar ear-to-ear growth), not entirely without success. On the left I'm struggling, though I can see potential in a back-handed approach with the right hand if I can do it without opening a vein.

Going centre-out and slightly down should be easy: use that side's hand with the same grip you would for a downstroke.

I find that I'm shaving both sides mainly with my right hand. There's I few spots that I switch over to my left but that's ~25% of the shave. Tried the razor facing out thing but right hand with the razor point facing back is where you'll find me most of the time.

Johnus said:
I find that I'm shaving both sides mainly with my right hand. There's I few spots that I switch over to my left but that's ~25% of the shave. Tried the razor facing out thing but right hand with the razor point facing back is where you'll find me most of the time.

Right hand only for me.

Friday. Sharped up a 'old' Larkin Razor that was probably last used 70yrs ago. Needed to rest to realign it's edge. Seemed to work, because only after a hour or two on 4 or 5 homes and 2 strops it gave a very nice shave. Can't imagine how it would have been if it didn't rest!:)-)

Saturday. Dusted off the Double Duck and sharpened her up. Halfway decided to sharpen . This time it was enough. Good shave. But will hone again before i use it next.

Monday... Used my Larkin this AM, Crown Barber Hone. Badger and a disappointing RazoRock. It melted away before I finished shaving. Wouldn't come back. Was almost done so Just ended the shave.

Tuesday, cold here a few snow flakes in the air early this morning. Open razor. The Larkin again. Tried it with La Toja shave stick. Not impressed with the soap with the open. Nice lather, poor slide.

Almost finished my Straight razor designs soap, really effective this stuff especially with the boar brush. Super close 2 passes today, definitely settling into a nice process with the straight, first getting good one day getting quick

Used Muhle Sea Buckthorn for the 1st time today. Very nice soap. Not sure what a Sea Buckthorn should smell like? so not up on the fragrance - very mild.

Back
Top Bottom