Straights in Spring, anyone?

Jeltz said:
Certainly if you have one I would suggest you try the Ninja on it just to get some practice if nothing else.

gave the Ninja 10 laps on the stone, 100 linnen and 50 leather strops. will see if it cuts again now

Tuesday the 13th, two more days till the Ides. Any predictions??

Open razor this afternoon. Running late. Broke out the Irisch Moos. Adequate lather. Used a badger , should have went stiffer. Have always like the fragrance but it's a little dry. I had nice face lather but it drys quite quickly. Need to wet it down once on my face. Finished up with alum, witch hazel, and Nieva protective cream.
Nice shave.

I might bust out the DE just for the 15th...something about open blades and the ides of march seems like pushing your luck. We'll see.

Today's shave started poorly, forgot to pre-soak the soap so rubbish lather which has left me with the first bit of burn since starting with the straight. Improved however by the addition of my new Blighty's Grapewood. Lovely stuff.

Well a lot would depend on the speed of the stone and 10 laps would require a pretty fast stone. I have no experience of J-nats but if I were to be testing the stone I would start with a light slurry 20 laps dilute a bit and repeat and wash off and repeat. then test. Every 10 laps I would chuck in a stropping stroke as it helps avoid a wire edge.

Wed nite....Another late shave. Nice because I had time to do it right. Open razor, boar brush, went with the Irisch Moos(still on the dry side, not sure I'll use it again with a straight), preshave: Noxzema plus, alum,Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Nieva Protective Lotion. Fun shave.

15th. Beware the Ides of March!!
May be a DE today!

Last few days I have been using the American Hero razor, that Jamie restored. At first I thought it was not as good as the Kropps, but now I am not sure ;-)

Did anyone else notice that there's an alarm company called 'IDES'? I suddenly saw that word absolutely everywhere yesterday.

Well I took a halfway break and used the Gillette Old Type for yesterday's shave. For a bit of compare and contrast. DE certainly got a lot closer than I've been going with the SR but left a lot of irritation in its wake.

Back on the straight this morning, trying out a proper ATG stroke but no irritation at all.

Also my whole technique seems pretty backwards, I start XTG but with a bit of a 'slide' then move onto a sort of scything, semi-ATG hooking motion which deals with most everything. No irritation at all, plus my prep rarely goes beyond 'wet face', maybe just my skin?

Wil said:
Last few days I have been using the American Hero razor, that Jamie restored. At first I thought it was not as good as the Kropps, but now I am not sure ;-)

Hi Wil, I would think that the Hero razor would shave just as well as the Kropps, IMO.

Jamie.

Friday morning shave. Open razor, Noxzema plus prep, CF lime soap, badger brush, alum, Luck Tiger aftershave, Nieva Protective Lotion. Good shave. Vacuum pot coffee this AM . Not sure why, but came out on the weak side.

Interesting I was noting that shaving with my Gillette '04's were faster and closer than the straight. Two honest passes with a 'J' that I have is almost BBS.

Jeltz said:
Well a lot would depend on the speed of the stone and 10 laps would require a pretty fast stone. I have no experience of J-nats but if I were to be testing the stone I would start with a light slurry 20 laps dilute a bit and repeat and wash off and repeat. then test. Every 10 laps I would chuck in a stropping stroke as it helps avoid a wire edge.

I had been searching the web for info on the J-nat (Nakayama), but that did not really help. Consensus seems to be that every stone is unique, and that you will just have to find how yours works :lol:
So I have to try dry, wet and with slurry (various forms) an vary the number of laps. Will report back in a year or so :lol:

pugh-the-special-one said:
Here's a little info and review for you to look at Wil.

http://srpreviews.com/showthread.php?s=d055ea429ac27c67d0cff36886466508&t=35014

Jamie.

Thanks, Jamie. I think a J-nat is not for a beginner. A barber hone, or something like it, that takes care of the edge in 5-10 laps is much easier.

Back
Top Bottom