Straights in Spring, anyone?

So the spring is here, the lambs are out and trying to have sex with the daffodils and whatnot. 'Tis the season for the real new year's resolutions, so I'm going for only straight shaves for March. Anyone else in?

Had my second ever straight shave this morning and the results suprised me, 2 passes, almost as good as two DE passes and no blood or burn yet. Going into tomorrow's extra careful to try and avoid complacency.

So yeah anyone else getting started or wanting to give it a shot, let's do it. Only straights and no DE clean-up.

Well I've been trying to pluck up the courage to ditch DE altogether. I had a patch around Christmas where I went back to DE quite a bit, but now I'm back on the straights. I will join you for Straight Spring. I'll still take a look at my lovely Schick Krona now and again, but it won't tempt me too much.

Ace! Shave 3 done, micro-mini nick but cleeean results all round. Starting to begrudgingly enjoy the smell of Tabac as well :D

Really glad I've got a few months of DE shaving under the belt, everything seems pretty intuitive and not at all as terrifying as I assumed.

Today's shave music: Charles Mingus 'ah um'
Today's shave tea: Lapsang 'smells like herring' Souchong

Early start tomorrow, let's see if this is as fun in the wee small hours.

shanky887614 said:
Wil said:
I am in too, just hope i can strop the razor...

stropping is not that bad the worst most people manage is to nic there strop

You do not know how clumsy i am, so far i have only ruined edges. But i may have succeeded now, as the razor was still usable. I had read here to apply no pressure at all when stropping. That's what i did wrong before.

Have you watched any stropping videos? They've helped me immensely, http://www.youtube.com/VYy3B3v8STo

Today I remembered the joys of being awake 5 hours before anyone else in the flat. Just twobpasses again today but I'm happy with the results, left hand is catching up nicely too!

Tea: own russian caravan blend
Music: Iron and Wine, creek drank the cradle...perfect early morning shaving music.

How are we doing?

Wil said:
shanky887614 said:
Wil said:
I am in too, just hope i can strop the razor...

stropping is not that bad the worst most people manage is to nic there strop

You do not know how clumsy i am, so far i have only ruined edges. But i may have succeeded now, as the razor was still usable. I had read here to apply no pressure at all when stropping. That's what i did wrong before.

The most common mistake new users do with stropping is not doing enough laps. The more the better, I recommend at least 100 and if you're up to it, 200. 100 cotton 100 leather. That said, don't spend all your time stropping.

As for pressure, the razor's very edge needs to be in contact with the leather otherwise, the stropping strokes won't do anything. You can practice with a butterknife if your afraid of nicking your strop or ruining the edge.

Weird thought - Anyone ever tried the marker test for their stropping? (for those unfamiliar with it, you use a sharpie to blacken the edge and then do a few laps on the hone. The goal is to see the bevel be all shiny without any black. It's a honing technique that may or may not work with strops as leather may not have the abrasive ability to remove the marker. Plus it'd probably stain the leather.

Thanks Lee, have now doubled the number of laps to 200 in total. Can I check, I'm sure I read to strop on fabric first then move onto the leather before the shave. This sound like the right order?

It's been a week and I'm quite happy with the process so far, I'm liking how the progress can almost be seen shave to shave, improved stropping and improved technique each time yielding a nice feeling of accomplishment.

Sent an antique store bargain off to Neil to get fixed up, very fair price he offered on bringing it back to life. I'm now very glad I bartered it down when I bought it, all in including postage both ways to Neil, that will be £22 for a shave ready vintage blade. Maybe think about rescaling one day...

brinechild said:
Have you watched any stropping videos? They've helped me immensely, http://www.youtube.com/VYy3B3v8STo

How are we doing?

I get an error if I try that link.

Have been trying the straights I had collected. The Ninja Solingen works, the Gold Dollar 208 and the Barbers razor Titanium do not work after 100 stroppings. Which is a shame as the barbers razor is sold "shave ready". There is nothing stated on the 208. Going to try the Gold Dollar 66.

I enjoy an open razor but it does take up quite a bit of time in the mornings . The DE is just so much less time consuming.
But seeing that I've straight edged three times this month; I'll try a few more. ( not sure I can stay away from the '04's and Derby's for a month:)-) ).

personally how much you want to strop is upto the individual and the size of the strop

100 laps on mine is the same as under 50 on most strops

i guess its because mine is more of a travel strop because of the size

brinechild said:
Can I check, I'm sure I read to strop on fabric first then move onto the leather before the shave. This sound like the right order?

Yes, linen/cotton then leather. You can even split it up between after the shave & before the shave, or the night before.

Back
Top Bottom