SOTD Saturday 5th - Friday 11th August

SOTD_20170811-1024x683.jpg

• Straight Razor: C.V. Heljestrand - MK 7 5/8
  • Shaving Brush: Simpsons - Chubby 2 (Best Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: Stirling Soap - Barbershop
  • After-Shave: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Peg Leg Nichols
  • Fragrance: Rituals - Roi d'Orient

Boxer 08.jpg
© Floid_Maniac

Again three amazing shaves with the Merkur 37C and the Feather New Hi-Stainless blade. For my thick hair and sensitive skin type this is the best combination to shave every day without getting any irritations. After seven years of DE shaving and testing so much, it seems that I have found my Holy Grail.

This Friday`s morning shave was accompanied by the wonderful voice of Patrick Watson.

Last edited:
@Blademonkey Cheers mate - I might get me one of those hone stones :)

I don't want to give up on the Rocnel - when I hit the sweet spot, the razor was out of this world - just looking for some consistency and no scratching / scaring from the blade.

I appreciate your feedback and posts - I thought the issues came from the spine of the blade.

All the best,

Chris
Chris, PM me your address and I will send you a bit of hone stone from a rolls razor set, that's what I used. :) It wouldn't do any harm to smooth off any sharp bits on the spine as well if you think that's where you are picking up your scratches, it could well be both, the cuts from the front corners of the blade and the light scratching from the spine, I will round the spine a little too, thanks :)

Last edited:
image.jpg ~SOTD~ 11th August Friday

I took a day off from the Pass-Around Rocnel SE-G today just to give my face a chance to heal but I still need to shave so I bought out my Blackland Sabre paired with a Gem Blue Star carbon blade.
The Barrister And Mann Leviathan was whipped up into a thick creamy lather in no time in my Little Wren Pottery lathing bowl using my colourful Razorock Synthetic .
Boy oh boy, what a smooth shave, it's a real joy to use this razor with a good carbon blade, I was rewarded with smooth skin that my old drill Sargent would have been proud of and no scratches or irritation, just perfect. No need for the BBA today, just some Jojoba oil to moisturise.
I finnished of with a few dabs of Tom Ford Amber Absoloute from Mr Perfume , looking good and smelling great! :)

It's Friday! Have a good one........:)

Last edited:
Mazal Tov, Pat,...I, too would like to thank the members for the excellent advice I've received in the six months or so that I've been on here that has made my shaving such an enjoyable experience.
I also might add that I bear no ill-feeling toward those that wasted me about £1500 before I found out what YMMV meant.

Congrats mate :)

Thanks Paul, I think I've achieved what I started out to do, buy a DE razor and save some money. :D
Mazal Tov, Pat,...I, too would like to thank the members for the excellent advice I've received in the six months or so that I've been on here that has made my shaving such an enjoyable experience.
I also might add that I bear no ill-feeling toward those that wasted me about £1500 before I found out what YMMV meant.

Nice one Toff, i bet you haven't waisted any cash on cart blades tho so it's all good. :D;)

Pre: Musgo Real Lime Oil Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus

Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Razor: ATT Kronos Open Comb H2 plate
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (1)

Finally plucked up the courage to have a crack at the H2 plate of my Above The Tie Kronos. It is only just below the R41 for aggressiveness. I took a little extra time with my go-to soap, Haslinger Schafmilch, and had plenty of lush, slick lather. I also employed one of my all time favourite blades - the vintage Gillette Super Silver. The WTG pass was fine; a tiny weeper under a nostril due to a careless stroke. Lots of blade feel, but not in the slightest rough.
The XTG pass was not as comfortable, and I had some irritation on my neck. A quick feel after the pass revealed that I was not too far from BBS, confirming the efficiency of the combination. I considered terminating at this point, but was curious, and did a very careful ATG/cleanup pass.
The end result was the closest shave I can recall. This came at a cost, as when buffing around my chin, I scored a couple of extra weepers. My face felt a little raw, but an application of the excess Haslinger lather post-shave helped to sooth this.
My normal application of Myrsol Emulsion produced a first for me with the product - slight discomfort for 10 seconds or so. Whilst this settled down and was eventually soothing, it has never occurred before in hundreds of applications, and underlined to me that my skin had copped a work-out.
A very interesting shave. My conclusion is that despite my best efforts, I was still applying a little too much pressure for this very aggressive combination, and need to address this when next I load up.

Back
Top Bottom