SOTD: Saturday 2nd September - Friday 8th September 2017

Afternoon gentlemen,
Pleasant mid afternoon shave today, not really close, but absolutely no issues.
To be honest with the set up I chose it would be difficult to mess up.
Rockwell razor
Perma-sharp blade #2 and last
Razorock Italian barber brush
Sterling's Glastonbury soap
Executive shave pre oil
Atkinson's triple extract
Being Saturday afternoon I think it's time for a pint of my home made scrumpy :)
IMAG1235_1.jpg

Kept it simple today
Pre: Hot shower and hot towel
Soap: Kent luxury shave soap (MWF)
Razor: PAA Bakelite slant
Brush: Giles Shaving Co (Prototype)
Blade: Astra SP (4)

It was a bit of a rough shave, I normally throw a blade out after three shaves but thought I'd see how it went. The answer was poorly. The razor is a new one to me so that could have been a factor too.
bTCVGqv.jpg

Last edited:
Kept it simple today
Pre: Hot shower and hot towel
Soap: Kent luxury shave soap (MWF)
Razor: PAA Bakelite slant
Brush: Giles Shaving Co (Prototype)
Blade: Astra SP (4)

It was a bit of a rough shave, I normally throw a blade out after three shaves but thought I'd see how it went. The answer was poorly. The razor is a new one to me so that could have been a factor too.
bTCVGqv.jpg
The handle certainly looks interesting. What knot do you have in it?

Morning shave.

Baxters of California Face Wash, BBA Shave Oil.
Fine Italian Citrus Soap.
Maseto 30mm 2 Band Finest.
Little Wren Pottery.
Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty (setting 5).
Gillette Silver Blue (1).
RazoRock XXX Aftershave.
BBA Post Shave Balm.

Sublime shave. First use of the Black Beauty (courtesy of the always accommodating Martin, aka @dodgy) and I couldn't be happier. The razor is in superb condition and the shave was right up there, in my opinion, with the Fatboy. I'm experimenting with 4 pass shaves and the razors long handle and relatively weighty head allowed me to let the razor do all the work. Absolutely no pressure at all and no pick-ups required. A BBS shave with not a touch of irritation. Martin included some vintage Gillette blades so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the Fatboy and Black Beauty. Have a great weekend chaps.

20170902_162814-jpg.17249

Razor: GEM G-bar
Razor blade: GEM Personna
Brush: Maseto 24mm Silvertip
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Cream: Truefitt and Hill Grafton

A big thank you to Paul AKA @Blademonkey for the loan of the razor.
It's an absolute beauty and in stunning condition.

The shave was stunning too, up there with the smoothest and most efficient yet.
I thought the Micromatic Clog Pruf was a brilliant razor. I think the G-Bar is definitely on par with it.

The T&H Grafton is my favourite cream by far. Love everything about it.

It would have been John Peel' s 78th Birthday this week. A man who had a major influence on my formative years. God bless him!

Cheers
Rob

Sotd - Saturday 2/9 -

Razor - Mergress (3)
blade - Gillette SB (3)
brush - Stirling 2-band fan
soap - Nivea Original mild cream
post - Witch hazel
a/s - Nivea Sensitive Cool alcohol free
balm - Nivea Sensitive Cool
parfum - Creed Tabarome.

Result - great - round 5 of the everyday software experiment - no artisan products. A nice relaxing late afternoon shave before going out for dinner. Which are always the most nerve wracking shaves for me ironically - you need to look your best in public - this is when you are going to accidentally hack your nose off. Thankfully this didn't happen. Probably uniquely, I replicated my last shave - only the brush differed - because I couldn't believe how good it was the last time with the Nivea products. I wanted to check whether it was a one off or the combination was that good for me - it was. I noticed after the last shave that the 'freshly shaved' face feel lasted hours. Same again this time. I looked at the label of the soap properly - it's described in Spanish as 'suave' which I think directly translates as 'mild' but might be better understood as 'sensitive' in context. It's got sea salt and vitamin E in the formulation. Certainly works for me - a couple of euros a tube. Please God don't tell me there is a place for alcohol free aftershave? Say it ain't so?

I'm enjoying this experiment and will keep going with it - I found an unopened tube of Lea cream and also one of Tabac in the recesses of the den. So - dinner was great, there's a lot less seafood in the world than three hours ago.

Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

@Boru62 - smoother than James Bond's beach ball mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom