SOTD : Saturday 22nd May to Friday 28th May 2021.

Monday 24th May

moulin-banner.jpg

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 (Orange) w/Omega 28mm Professional Boar
Yaqi AC V1 w/Muhle Rocca R95 Handle
Schick Proline P30 (5)
Pashana Original Aftershave & Hair Tonic

Last edited:
Monday 24th May

moulin-banner.jpg

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap
RazoRock 400 (Orange) w/Omega 28mm Professional Boar
Yaqi AC V1 w/Muhle Rocca R95 Handle
Schick Proline P30 (5)
Pashana Original Aftershave & Hair Tonic

What are your thoughts towards the Moulin shaving soap. I think it is a wonderful and 'different' soap.

Monday

Proraso Sandalwood
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo 24mm synth
Face lather
Yaqi Agamemnon
Astra SP (4 or 5; cannae mind)
Thayer’s Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Proraso Sandalwood after shave

The second outing for this Yaqi cutlery. It’s quite the slant; with the largest blade exposure I’ve seen on razors recently.

A very careful 3 passes, then. One small weeper on Pass 1; but that was operator error. The resultant shave has left me smooth and highly polished.

The razor reminds of an article on Beethoven I read years ago. Whilst his symphonies, piano concertos etc. are universally adored among his fans, his Missa Solemnis is a piece that is generally respected, rather than loved. This is one solemn mass of a razor.

CF226A93-81B1-406F-909F-0F77BE1C3E62.jpeg

What are your thoughts towards the Moulin shaving soap. I think it is a wonderful and 'different' soap.
I like it very much. It kinda feels like a light MWF. It certainly loads really easily and lathers up slowly as you add water - it can take quite a bit of water and tonight I found myself dipping the brush three or four times, where normally one to two for face lathering. Post-shave feel is really nice - well moistured but without any mushiness and doesn't dry out after an hour or so.

I'm feeling that, but double tonight as my new favourite pre-shave soap is a rapeseed and goat milk from Ganders Goat. That soap is like a British "Marseilles" soap. The rapeseed is mega-feeding and almost uniquely similar to human subcutaneous fat. Pre-shave wash and then a good scrape with a razor, that pre-shave soap is felt well on into post-shave.

So, yes, between that and the donkey milk shaving soap, I'm feeling super-soft.

The Savonniere du Moulin was certainly trendy a few years ago, but they're still producing (so folks are still buying) and it's one of those soaps that I think is one you could keep for decades and keep coming back to it. Some eBayer in 2090 could buy a puck, like we do with '50s soaps and I'm sure it'll work as it does today. Mine came out of the loft following three or four years without use.

So, MWF light. Less chemicals ... in fact none, it's: "organic honey, organic propolis, flowers from my garden, good, fresh organic milk from my donkeys that I milk myself everyday, and lots of love" which is an ingredient list that makes for lovely reading.

English Shaving Company sell it, folks - both the unscented and a scented one, which is reputedly very light.

Last edited:
I like it very much. It kinda feels like a light MWF. It certainly loads really easily and lathers up slowly as you add water - it can take quite a bit of water and tonight I found myself dipping the brush three or four times, where normally one to two for face lathering. Post-shave feel is really nice - well moistured but without any mushiness and doesn't dry out after an hour or so.

I'm feeling that, but double tonight as my new favourite pre-shave soap is a rapeseed and goat milk from Ganders Goat. That soap is like a British "Marseilles" soap. The rapeseed is mega-feeding and almost uniquely similar to human subcutaneous fat. Pre-shave wash and then a good scrape with a razor, that pre-shave soap is felt well on into post-shave.

So, yes, between that and the donkey milk shaving soap, I'm feeling super-soft.

The Savonniere du Moulin was certainly trendy a few years ago, but they're still producing (so folks are still buying) and it's one of those soaps that I think is one you could keep for decades and keep coming back to it. Some eBayer in 2090 could buy a puck, like we do with '50s soaps and I'm sure it'll work as it does today. Mine came out of the loft following three or four years without use.

So, MWF light. Less chemicals ... in fact none, it's: "organic honey, organic propolis, flowers from my garden, good, fresh organic milk from my donkeys that I milk myself everyday, and lots of love" which is an ingredient list that makes for lovely reading.

English Shaving Company sell it, folks - both the unscented and a scented one, which is reputedly very light.

Couldn't agree more on those qualities you mention and look for in a soap. I have the unscented which gives a neutral background to wear whatever scent I want.

I find it a bit awkward with it being in stick form but that is such a small sacrifice and you can't have everything.

AD0809D1-CE4D-4376-9482-5C880B81BD28.jpeg
Pre: hot shower
Soap: P&B Spitfire sample
Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2band badger
Razor: ikon b1 slant
Blade: Ladas super stainless #1

haven’t shaved since Saturday therefore one was in order this evening. Due to some razor bumps that were caused by blade going blunt, I had to postpone.
Since slight razor bumps are still there, I’ve opted out for 2 pass shave - WTG and XTG. That left me close and comfortable - and feeling much better after this short hiatus from shaving !

Thank you Garry @merchant_seaman for the sample! The scent of the soap really reminds me of my grandmas place from childhood - not sure whether my step grandad was in military at any point, but definitely something is hitting in those notes. It is a nice albeit in a way heavy/oily scent, however due to memories this scent brings I’ll most likely pass on getting a tub of it. First time was trying a soap by P&B - nice slickness and good level of cushioning - definitely a good performer .

ended up the shave with generous amount of proraso red asl , what left me feeling refreshed and ready for last hour or so before I hit the hay.

have a good night gentlemen!

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: Yaqi 24mm
Soap: Signature Soaps Mamucium

Evenin' gents. Hope this week is treating you well so far.

I needed a bit of a treat myself tonight, so I thought I'd try out the Treet platinum. Smooth blade.
I'm not sure if it's down to the blade being treated with a platinum coating but it provided a fine shave.

Worked a treat.

IMG-1977.JPG

rTUncl9.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Cream: Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Swede (1)
Scent: Geo. F Trumper Spanish Leather EdT

A very comfortable and close shave. The Trumper cream is luxurious, and such a great scent.
And the vintage Swede blade is very sharp - with the lightest of touches, it erases bristles as if they are not there.
To cap it off, the warm cedar scent of the Pitralon aftershave was a great match for the Spanish Leather fragrance.

SOTD : 25th May 2021.

103.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Nivea Men ~ Power Fresh Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears ~ Transparent Bar Soap With Mint Extracts. + Nuage Menthol shaving Oil.
Brush: Chinese Unbranded Silvertip Fibre.
Face Lather.
Frankensoap : Pears Transparent bar Soap + Wilkinson Sword Soap bowl.
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock SE yellow. (D3)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Premium TTO.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.+3 Menthol Crystals, Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Aloe Vera Gel./ Brut ~ Attraction Totale ASL.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

My shaving set up this morning was absolutely brilliant!....I have mentioned before in many of my postings ,the vast majority of my shave set ups are very in-expensive. It just goes to show that you don't need expensive shaving items to get a good acceptable shave. It's all down to technique & shaving confidence.

A Enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off a with a generous splash of Brut ~ Attraction Totale ASL.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Tue 25 SOTD
Soap Blackship Grooming Captain's Pipe New 1st Use
Brush
Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue
Razor Yaqi Knight Helmet
Blade Wetell Super Stainless 2nd
Post & Aftershaves Alum + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice + HeV CCC Balm
Got the soap sample on a whim and man it was a great one!! Very nice aromatic tobacco pipe-ish scent although wishing it was stronger but it's ok. Lather quality is good too...creamy and slick. So glad to get this...thanks to fellow tobacco sotd members...
The shave with this aggressive razor (rarely used) paired with the blade was a good combo...reasonably smooth, comfortable, and surprisingly not much blade chatter going atg on the chin & lips areas. 3passes for a bbs to dfs result. Aftershaves were awesome...just love the HeV CCC lasting aroma!
20210525_114156.jpg

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Tuesday 25th May 2021

Shave Score 9.5/10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower / NIVEA MEN DEEP Anti-Blackhead Scrub
PreShave Cream: Proraso - Green Rinfrescante - Menthol
Cream/Soap: Stirling Shave Co. - Glastonbury
Brush: Yaqi 24mm - Atlantis
Razor: Merkur Progress 500
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (2)
Post Shave ASL: Stirling Shave Co. - Glastonbury
Post Shave Balm: Stirling Shave Co. - Glastonbury
Post Shave Cologne: Stirling Shave Co. - Glastonbury