Razor: Razorock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: Bolzano Superinox
AS: Floid Mentolado Vigoroso
IMG_2637_zpsh779mdmf.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

Last edited:
2528e93674ac745ee146d58972edc239.jpg

New brush in the mix today. This is from a limited run of 100 brushes made by Omega for an Italian shaving forum that I was lucky enough to get my hands on despite not being a member. It's a 28mm Silvertip butterscotch barber monster!

Martin De Candre Original
ATT S2 / Jurgen Hempel SS Wave Handle
Personna 74 (9)
Il Rasoio Omega Butterscotch Barber Silvertip
Floïd Blue

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Nice set up. I keep seeing people talk about a shim. Probably a stupid question but what is a shim?

Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greetings Nick

Shims used with DE razors are an old blade with about an eighth of an inch trimmed off each edge/side with a pair of old scissors, this shim is then put onto the top cap of the razor after the shaving blade thus when the razor is held for shaving the shim is nearest to the razors handle. The effect of this is to increase the gap that the shaving blade sits away from the safety bar or comb thus increasing the aggressiveness slightly of a mild razor. This also tends to roughly approximate the thickness of the early DE razor blades. It is possible to add more than one shim to a DE razor I would suggest that if you need more than two shims in a DE razor than you should perhaps consider a different more aggressive razor.

The situation with SE razors is slightly different in that the old single edge blades as well as having thicker blades had thicker spines which were generally made of steel, old SE razors were obviously designed for these blades as they were at the time the norm. When these old SE razors are used with modern SE blades with thinner spines the blade sits at a slightly different angle in the razors head (frame) inserting a shim under (or wrapped around in the case of some types of shim) the spine will lift up the blade back thus lowering the blades cutting edge relative to the comb or safety bar giving a slightly gentler shave that more approximates the original blade. Some people swear by them, others (I am one) do not find they make a significant difference.

Shims are certainly worth experimenting with in both De and Se they cost nothing take seconds to make and you may well like them.

Regards
Dick.

SOTD 20160921

Us17jhK.jpg

Zdjj913.jpg

Brush: custom finest 2-band / porcelain handle.
Shaving bowl: Epsilon.
Shaving cream: Ziaja Yego (from Poland).
Razor: Titanium SSSeygus Extrem with safety bar.
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless Chrome (3).
After shave: Floid Black.

Time to test one of my new razors and one of my new shave creams.

The razor with a blade-gap of 0.6 mm (i.s.o. a few tenths)surely feels a bit more
aggressive/effective. It is a closer shave.
The shaving cream smells decent, but the lather is not too thick - thicker than the previous
one (Bond Spacequest).

Result: DFS++ (NOT BBS).

Have a nice day, gentlemen ! :)

Shave of the day - Wednesday 21st September

Prep - Hot Shower and Dove Men + Care
Pre Shave - Musgo Real Classic Scent Oil Soap and Bloom Water
Razor- Merkur Futur (setting 3)
Razor Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
Brush - Semogue Owners Club (Boar)
Soap - OSP Grapefruit and Menthol
Witch Hazel - Thayers Lemon
Cologne - 4711 Cologne
Balm - Avon Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom