SOTD : Saturday 13th March to Friday 19th March 2021

Wednesday 17th March
Yaqi Moka Express - OSP Tallow Cream tester - Yaqi Katana - ½ Personna Lab Blue #1 - Blue Stratos A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
myvmDGN.jpg

17 March

Signature Soaps Hibernia
Semogue SOC 2 band
ATT SE1 Calypso
Feather Professional
Signature Soaps Hibernia Splash

A271A97E-5568-40A9-933B-2AD4438EE2BE.jpeg

Today’s shave was efficient and close, but the ATT razor is noticeably not as smooth as the Buckland Vector. Perhaps the blade is past it’s prime. That aside, I had a really good two pass shave with a wonderful rich lather and a lemony splash to finish.

17/03/21
Pre: Shower
Brush: Vintage Vulfix service #3 1950's
Soap: Vintage Gibbs 1950's
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 (4,3,3)
Blade: NOS Permasharp Supreme
Post shave: Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: E45
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods

Wk11 (19).JPGWk11 (21).JPG
A nice Vintage shave with my Birthyear slim from its travel case today, 3 passes giving me a BBS comfortable finish.
The post shave was pretty basic, new to me Whiskey Woods which feels nice enough on the skin, although it takes a little while to dry off, i used the E45 as i wanted to check out the scent, i find it quite subtle and there are definitely woody & tobacco scents in there, its no power-house but seems to work, Mrs TC seems to like it ;).
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Last edited:
L1030590a.jpg

I have just ordered a shed load more Feather blades, as I seem to prefer them in my milder razors, and I seem to have quite a few of those, with another one incoming too. All of which means to say that I had better use them whenever I can :)

So here we go with an all Feather affair in terms of blade and razor, matched with the SUPERB Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar soap. The splash is a little sweeter than the soap but it still has that ozone freshness I so enjoy. I’m going full out on the lather this time, as I’ll be making a conscious effort to load the Chubby 3 beyond all reason. Why not, the soap is fantastic!

Stay safe and enjoy your shaves.

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar
Brush: Simpson’s Chubby 3 BB
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Phoenix & Beau Trafalgar Splash
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper

A nice Green Irish Tweed shave this morning and glorious it was! To all the days here and after, may they be filled with fond memories, happiness, and laughter. May you be surrounded this day by those you hold dear. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1952-54
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Paladin 26mm Select Badger - Sumo
Lather: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Aftershave: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Additional Care:
Omega Alum Stick
Coach For Men
E0536F46-9A85-4648-A314-D836510670DF.jpeg

Wed 17th March

Cyril Salter MS. ED2band
Lea Classic soap
ER Streamline
Gem S/S ( 3 )
Lea Classic A/S Lotion

Started a fresh puck of Lea today, what was left of the original had become rather lifeless. It may be a new formula, but I had no problems getting a lather and it worked well during the Shave. I think I am one of the fortunate ones who gets this Classic Razor to work for them. Another Top Notch Shave without any problems, did not feel the A/S too much today.

BBC14375-E401-4089-967C-CF78342E097C.jpeg

Wednesday 17th March

ACtC-3fGIjA443AtLBZhY3Cb-y013KeNRvKx7gS0WgGc0eXHBXkd-FQbyTZyfSVOcIufT3pqi0A96v0pU87KThA-lIDkffHnmix6JjLg9WaQ377_b14r_PccCZ4cJrDGEohG8Bi-MxbbA3owtu3yONcsYF41Gw=s800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Martin de Candre Vetyver Shaving Soap
Semogue SOC Taj (Boar)
King C Gillette w/RazoRock Bulldog Handle
Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp Stainless (2)
Novaya Zarya Russian Forest Cologne

What fun to go back to basics ...

I'm using a Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp Stainless (and will no doubt have a little run through the rest of the 7 O'Clock blades) and while I'm doing so, I thought it would be fun to give the King C Gillette head a proper run out. I bought just the head (no handle) and so have popped it onto the RazoRock Bulldog handle, which suits the weight very well indeed and balances out really very well! The razor is somewhere between the R89 and the M34, and on the long handle put me in mind of the M23 which is the very razor that I started out with when I came to traditional shaving.

I did two passes. My usual single pass would have sufficed, but there was still plently of lather on the brush and it's a shame to waste MdC, right? So, another pass which might have caught one or two little stragglers. Technique was really intuitive to click with and that first pass really nailed it - I have a little patch that I sometimes have to go over a couple of times and that stands as a really good test area that proves, or otherwise, the effectiveness of a blade and/or razor.

Yeah! Fun! But probably not a shave I'll have again for a good long while as in all honesty the KCG doesn't bring a lot to a fellow who has a fistful of vintage Gillette and a Muhle Rocca in each holster.

Ahhhh ... the splash. I do like a strongly alcoholic splash and these colognes from Novaya Zarya are just right! Probably as alcoholic as Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrado, certainly more so than Pinaud Clubman, but with some good oils in the mix which just cut the alcohol off a little and leave a really smooth aftershave feeling. Classic aftershave behaviour, if you ask me, but as the great bard (Dylan ... Bob, that is) told us, "the times, they are a-changin'" and they certainly have.

Yeah! Good shave, that ...

Enjoying the Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp Stainless which puts me very much in mind of the ASCO Stainless from Lord. It's not bitingly sharp, in fact quite the opposite out of the pack, but livens up through the first shave and left me with a very capable blade for this second shave. It's probably as sharp as the Lord Classic, but not quite as smooth. Wanting to put a provisional rating on it, it's an 8/10 which is a "good" blade in my books, but 8/10 flat rather than 8.1 or 8.2 ... or 8.5.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom