SOTD sat 29th/fri 4th

Joseph Elliot razor, Dalvey synthetic brush, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream and AS gel

071_Thur_03_Aug_2017.jpg

Proraso Red Pre Shave
Mitchells Wool Fat
RazoRock 400 Plissoft Noir
Rockwell 6c ~ plate 1
Gillette Nacet (3)
Proraso Green ASL
Old Spice ASL

I wasn't going to shave today following yesterday's shavette massacre, but I wanted to level out the growth.
I chose plate 1 on the Rockwell and the Wool Fat soap to assure mildness.
This resulted in normal service being resumed. No soreness or discomfort and even growth.
OK, it's not a close finish, but I knew plate 1 wouldn't provide a BBS finish.
The shavette saga will continue when I have more time to spend on shaving.
Plenty of Old Spice splashed on and I smell like a man !

gillette slim(6)/ voskhod(#1)/ tabac/ maseto 24mm finest/ speick a.s/ nivea balm

Jeez, what a rough shave...:eek:, two days growth & that fresh voskhod wasn't having any of it...
It tugged & skipped all over the place...:D! I should've swapped it but thought the second pass may have been better...no chance - rough as a badgers arse...:D.
I can't figure these voskod's out...sometimes they're good, sometimes they're rubbish...
The speick as ever, was excellent as was the maseto - great brush...:)
20170803_201000.jpg

Parker Variant Razor
Sputnik Blade
Kent Infinity Synthetic Brush
Speik Shave Stick
Nivea Cool Kick ASB

Well, the Variant has gone from "I think I'll move this on" to "oh, not just yet". I would say that the razor that I've used the most over the last 12 months is my Merkur 33G, and it appears that the optimal angles for these 2 razors are quite different, with the handle of the Merkur being much closer to horizontal to the Parker.

Regards
Ian

Sotd - Thursday 3/8

Razor - Ikon X3 slant on an ES Braveheart handle
Blade - PermaSharp Super (1)
Brush - Wee Scot LE
Soap - Haslinger Schafmilch
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Nivea Cool alcohol free
Balm - Aloe vera gel.

Result - great. Restorative evening shave. I spent the entire working day standing outside a court. Simultaneously running the risk of sunburn - which I am a little I think - and drowning in the torrential downpours, the odd rumble of thunder thrown in for dramatic effect. Welcome to Glasgow in July - the middle of summer. Everything I used tonight was an attempt to say sorry to my skin. I've been reading recently about people being apprehensive about trying a slant - don't be. When I first started wet shaving I fell for the apparently accepted wisdom that they are uber dangerous and aggressive. In my experience this is rubbish. Don't conflate efficiency with aggression. My second razor was a Merkur 37 and it has never left my rotation. If you are still concerned about the idea, the Ikon X3 is a good place to start. You would have to try really hard to hurt yourself with this razor. You can get it head only for not much - so it's not a big investment if it doesn't suit you. It attaches to any standard thread handle. Alcohol free after-shave? I mean, really - what's the point? Enjoy your shaves gentlemen - cheers - I.

@Boru62 - smoother than the surface of Narcissus' paddling pool.

SOTD: 03/08.17
SOTD 020817 (3).jpg

Blade: Astra SP #1
Razor: Fat Boy (On Loan)
Soap: WSP Sandalwood
Brush: Maseto 30mm finest (Unfortunately I do not own an American made Brush:p)
EDT: Joop

Well my first time using the infamous Gillette fat boy and already I know what all the fuss is about.
After 3 days growth I decided to dial it in at #6 WTG #6 XTG and my final pass was#4 ATG.
The razor mowed down my growth without any problem on my first pass. I am extremely impressed by the vintage capabilities.
The result was a BBS shave that was so smooth and without cuts, weepers or any irritation.
So much so and although this is my first go with this razor, it is a must buy razor. :)
Really impressed with her performance.

The soap produced a good lather with a lovely sandalwood scent but if I had any criticism I would say that it lacks in a little slickness and cushion. YMMV.

The brush as usual performed its face lathering magic and finishing off with the Hazel and Balm I could not fault the shave.

Joop is an old skool scent that I still adore to this day.

Enjoy your shaves folks and take care,

Wayne.

Last edited:
SOTD: 03/08.17
View attachment 27702

Blade: Astra SP #1
Razor: Fat Boy (On Loan)
Soap: WSP Sandalwood
Brush: Maseto 30mm finest
EDT: Joop

Well my first time using the infamous Gillette fat boy and already I know what all the fuss is about.
After 3 days growth I decided to dial it in at #6 WTG #6 XTG and my final pass was#4 ATG.
The razor mowed down my growth without any problem on my first pass. I am extremely impressed by the vintage capabilities.
The result was a BBS shave that was so smooth and without cuts, weepers or any irritation.
So much so and although this is my first go with this razor, it is a must buy razor. :)
Really impressed with her performance.

The soap produced a good lather with a lovely sandalwood scent but if I had any criticism I would say that it lacks in a little slickness and cushion. YMMV.

The brush as usual performed its face lathering magic and finishing off with the Hazel and Balm I could not fault the shave.

Joop is an old skool scent that I still adore to this day.

Enjoy your shaves folks and take care,

Wayne.

Excellent and moody photo Wayne.

Switched back to the hydro today after the Mach 3 irritation and was rewarded.

Prep - warm water splash
Razor - WS Hydro 5 (1)
Brush - Simpsons Chubby Synthetic
Cream - Trufitt and Hill unscented
Post - L'Oreal Tree Birch sap AS

Loverly and smooth only made better by the waterproof speaker that arrived yesterday, Jimmy Eat World
And Wolfmother supported the shave.

I've got the MWF out for tomorrow, this was a soap that I was convinced caused irritation, I'm revisiting what I thought caused Irritation after finding out it was likely the natural brushes.

Wish me luck?!?

Switched back to the hydro today after the Mach 3 irritation and was rewarded.

Prep - warm water splash
Razor - WS Hydro 5 (1)
Brush - Simpsons Chubby Synthetic
Cream - Trufitt and Hill unscented
Post - L'Oreal Tree Birch sap AS

Loverly and smooth only made better by the waterproof speaker that arrived yesterday, Jimmy Eat World
And Wolfmother supported the shave.

I've got the MWF out for tomorrow, this was a soap that I was convinced caused irritation, I'm revisiting what I thought caused Irritation after finding out it was likely the natural brushes.

Wish me luck?!?
A water proof speaker and some MWF.
What could go wrong?

Enjoy! :)

Date: 04 August 2017 is nearly 6:20am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - Envy Shave '8 Ball' 25/53mm Black Wolf Fan Knot
Lather: - Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome (WTG #5, XTG #5, ATG #2)
Blade: - Astra Superior Platinum #3
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

Back
Top Bottom