Soap Makers challenge - Imperial Leather (IL) shaving soap.

Re: Soap Makers challenge - Imperial Leather (IL) shaving so

I have got myself a bar of Imperial Leather, and must say I'm not very impressed at all! To me it doesn't really smell of anything in particular, just soap!

I don't think I'm going to do very well in this challenge!

mmmm...you're the second soaper that's said it just smells like soap. Not very promising.

I've been in touch with the perfumer at Cussons, she was intrigued but made no commitment, depending on if she is in the country or not she may be willing to have a sniff and pass comment on you efforts.

Let me revise the brief then...produce a shaving soap with a scent that is in the "spirit of Imperial Leather".

I think we should add to the challenge with having a label *IN* the soap that lasts the whole way through, just like the Imperial Leather of my childhood... :lol:

Just to stray slightly off-topic, as a kid I once decided to use some of my Dad's Imperial Leather talc, so promptly tipped a load down my front and into the groinal area. Imagine my horror when it started to burn and come up in a stinging rash within minutes - seems I was allergic to something in the talc. My 'public' area felt like it had been soaked in petrol and ignited. :eek:

I think I will take up Antdad's suggestion and make something "in the spirit" of IL as a shaving soap, but with a much more defined scent..

Been wearing the new Acqua di Parma Essenza and noticed that once it has been on the skin for a while it smells quite similar to Imperial Leather.

Ok, the story so far.

I tried my first shave last night with my version of Imperial Leather shaving soap. "Imperial Cream"

The scent is (in my opinion) very close, but with a modern spin, the aftershave is lovely, everyone who has smelled it has really liked it, "classy" seems to be the most common descriptive, so I'm pleased with that.

Now the bad news, the soap failed to hold it's lather through the third pass, so that's just not good enough. Back to the drawing board, so to speak.

I think I'm going to market this when the soap is right.

Attachments

• Imperial Cream Version #1 003.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 208

I think I will pick two other judges...PM me if interested, first two to volunteer get the gig. One down.

I'm Simon Cowell, Blyth Spirit is Lou Walsh who will be the token skirt?

The judging will be based on the following...(work in progress)

Resemblance of IL scent (original brief) 10 pts

Spirit and quality of the scent. 5pts/5pts.

Efficacy of the soap. 5pts

Here's my update. I used my regular shaving cream as basis, so performance-wise, there is no issue... I've used the basenotes and other 'evaluations' to base my fragrance ingredients list on, plus what I smelll from the piece of soap Sharon sent me. I've made up a batch of 500 grams of 'Royal Leather' shaving soap - the scent is not identical, but I think all major components are there... Now what do I do with my samples?

Cheers

Henk

Offer them out for voluntary donations to be either given locally or sent on to yourself for a charity of your choice ?

JohnnyO.

I've asked IanM and RB73 to also act as judges but I'd be happy to pass on the samples after the judging is over.

I'd also like to receive the samples at roughly the same time so if I can ask those that have completed their soap to hold on till the other soaper's Nanny and Briallen have also checked in. I'll be in touch, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom