Six Nations - written in the stars?

Oooof, I made a real point of watching tonight's game because I thought it might be the one to light up the championship...pissed up crowd, evening game, Cardiff, roof closed, pissed up crowd.

I really don't mind attritional rugby but that was a difficult watch (only 1st half). Did I hear the ref correctly, it seemed he was praising the players as well as his own decisions? I could've sworn I heard him say great advantage played (to himself) although it could have been a linesman.

Talk about mistakes - this has to be a very poor French side. Wales did defend well at times but I agree with everyone else that it was a poor spectacle.

Definately a poor, scrappy game. The Welsh team were always in charge, even in the 30mins or so of the second half that the French dominated possession. The French captain Guirado was a real force and eventually got their try, but several Welsh players were outstanding, particularly in defence. Now in my opinion to the worst refereeing so far, slowing the game down and short on discipline. He didn't make wrong decisions, he just didn't make any. Instead of controlling the scrum from the start, he allowed it to fuck and fart about all game, continually wasting time and resetting over and over. I don't think I saw a straight lineout ball all game, but the win was deserved and never really in any doubt.

Italy still have a way to go, we've seen them improve over the years, but the simple mistakes always cost dear. Well done to the Scots, kept the pressure on and I was pleasantly suprised that they in the main ruled the scrum. Not the greatest game, but entertaining all the same. Officials worked together and allowed the game to play, with good decisions from a strong referee.

I'm pleased for Scotland, as they badly needed a win, and was pleased that they had support players running lines more frequntly than recently to enable the player in possession to draw in defenders. Their recycling was quicker as well. Concerning, though, that they didn't pay attention to the referee's final warnings, thereby incurring two sin-binnings

More or less exactly what I expected in this game at Twickenham. We have not really got our ball handling dialled in, and were lucky to face an Irish team suffering from serious injury problems. The amount of penalties we conceded could have punished us more seriously. We should have put it to bed in the first half, but don't seem able to finish untill knackeration has set in. An enjoyable afternoon of Rugby, couldn't even start to predict the result against Wales on the 12th.

Can't say that I found it enjoyable but the results were as expected. And if anyone moans about English referees after this evenings match I'm likely to spontaneously combust.

Just one thought about Elliot Daly coming on - this was his first senior appearance and the coach was giving him detailed instructions about other positions - that tells me the lad has a long international future ahead.

Talk about mistakes - this has to be a very poor French side. Wales did defend well at times but I agree with everyone else that it was a poor spectacle.

Rob I watched that game and I certainly wouldn't describe them as a poor French team they have a great defence plus they are big and powerful England will certainly have to play well above what they've shown so far to beat them in Paris.

More or less exactly what I expected in this game at Twickenham. We have not really got our ball handling dialled in, and were lucky to face an Irish team suffering from serious injury problems. The amount of penalties we conceded could have punished us more seriously. We should have put it to bed in the first half, but don't seem able to finish untill knackeration has set in. An enjoyable afternoon of Rugby, couldn't even start to predict the result against Wales on the 12th.

Agreed. The scoreline flattered us, IMO.

Rob I watched that game and I certainly wouldn't describe them as a poor French team they have a great defence plus they are big and powerful England will certainly have to play well above what they've shown so far to beat them in Paris.

Is this a case of "my enemy's enemy is my friend", Jamie? France may be physical, they may have a reasonable defence, but they appear to have no penetrating ability due to being disorganised. They don't seem to run support lines properly, their passing is flat to people who are taking the ball while stationary, and they don't put consecutive threatening phases together.

Is this a case of "my enemy's enemy is my friend", Jamie? France may be physical, they may have a reasonable defence, but they appear to have no penetrating ability due to being disorganised. They don't seem to run support lines properly, their passing is flat to people who are taking the ball while stationary, and they don't put consecutive threatening phases together.

Well Chris remember this when you play them in Paris because they don't look a poor side to me.

Back
Top Bottom