Shave of the day Saturday 9th Sept - Friday 15th Sept 2017

FqV6rjdh_o.jpeg

Omega 11126
Razorock Baby Smooth
Rapira Super Stainless (3)
Extro Arzachena Shaving Cream
Thayers Rose, Nivea Men Cream & Extro Arzachena

Planned on using the Parker again yoday but the post came early enough and I couldn't resist trying the razor. A good shave albeit a few nicks, end result was as the name suggests but a little bit of a learning curve with the razor. A good first shave but hopefully better to come. The Arzachena is great stuff, fantastic performance as always.

Two great shaves this morning. Armed with a new heavy duty punch that makes modifying the Gibbs blades a breeze, I went with the No. 15 on 4 for the head shave. It was a beautiful two pass + BBS.

For the beard I used a V3A top cap to 2011-ize my 2013 R41. The V3A cap may be even a touch narrower than the 18.8mm 2011 and it does what it is supposed to do. One close (careful) shave without incident.

Tian Li and Coates Tea for both.
501f0b721ae95ea92bab3fb1f469e00c.jpg
bc7389c79d2aa82af1a87bd97b8e6bd1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Two great shaves this morning. Armed with a new heavy duty punch that makes modifying the Gibbs blades a breeze, I went with the No. 15 on 4 for the head shave. It was a beautiful two pass + BBS.

For the beard I used a V3A top cap to 2011-ize my 2013 R41. The V3A may be even a touch narrower than the 18.8mm 2011 and it does what it is supposed to do. One close (careful) shave without incident.

Tian Li and Coates Tea for both.
501f0b721ae95ea92bab3fb1f469e00c.jpg
bc7389c79d2aa82af1a87bd97b8e6bd1.jpg

Perfect, my punch is coming from the US so in a couple of weeks I will be able to chuck the scissors and put those neat little hole's where they should be. :)

Perfect, my punch is coming from the US so in a couple of weeks I will be able to chuck the scissors and put those neat little hole's where they should be. :)
If you ordered the EK Tools you'll find the punch is almost exactly the same width as a blade which helps with vertical alignment, and the window on one side makes getting a precise half circle pretty easy.

If you ordered the EK Tools you'll find the punch is almost exactly the same width as a blade which helps with vertical alignment, and the window on one side makes getting a precise half circle pretty easy.

Sweet, that's good to hear, have ordered the same one as you did.

Saturday's shave :)

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap face wash.
Razor - Supply SE Injector, Plate ***.
Blade - Persona PTFE Coated Injector Blade (Day 4).
Soap - OSP Eucalyptus and Menthol soap.
Bowl - Little Wren.
Brush - Simpsons Duke 2 Best Badger.
Post shave - OSP Eucalyptus and Menthol Aftershave Tonic, followed by Tabula Rasa Cool (Blue) Aftershave Gel.

Another great shave with the Supply-SE, think I have got the hang of this razor, shaved at 07:30 this morning, 3 passes and still relatively smooth after 13 hours.

I forgot how good the Tabula Rasa After shave Gel was, YMMV :)

All the best,

Chris

Last edited:
Saturday 9th September

Birch Tar Soap
3P Peshave cream
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Focus Dynamic SE
Semogue 1800 Boar
Witch Hazel
Groomed Moisturiser
Brut Musk AS

Incredibly busy day today....literally up and out. No shave until I returned this evening...so it's maintenance only and no Photo. I want to have a nice Sunday Shave tomorrow. Two quick passes for what turned out to be a DFS:)

Saturday 9th SEptember 2017

sotd 9th sept.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash
Razor: Rolls Razor + Razorock Hawk v1
Blade: A not very well sharpened Rolls blade + Schick Proline (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest
Soap: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Magnum
AS: Old Spice + Alcolado Glacial

Ok first shave with the Rolls Razor and I clearly did not sharpen the blade well enough, after 3 passes I gave up and grabbed the Hawk that was on hand. The Hawk with the Proline saved the day with a quick 4th pass cleaning up nicely.

I am pretty sure that a properly sharpened Rolls blade should be a lot sharper than my effort, the shave was quite rough at times and it really did not feel sharp at all. The Hawk with the Proline blade in comparison felt incredibly smooth almost as if there was no blade. The end result was great, so clearly the Rolls blade was mowing down some of the stubble, just not very comfortably or efficiently. I think I need to have another go at sharpening the blade again.

On the plus side at least I survived my first Rolls shave without drawing blood, and although my face felt a bit sore post shave it did not last long, and I actually achieved a very close shave in the end.

Saturday 9th SEptember 2017

View attachment 28879
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash
Razor: Rolls Razor + Razorock Hawk v1
Blade: A not very well sharpened Rolls blade + Schick Proline (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest
Soap: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Magnum
AS: Old Spice + Alcolado Glacial

Ok first shave with the Rolls Razor and I clearly did not sharpen the blade well enough, after 3 passes I gave up and grabbed the Hawk that was on hand. The Hawk with the Proline saved the day with a quick 4th pass cleaning up nicely.

I am pretty sure that a properly sharpened Rolls blade should be a lot sharper than my effort, the shave was quite rough at times and it really did not feel sharp at all. The Hawk with the Proline blade in comparison felt incredibly smooth almost as if there was no blade. The end result was great, so clearly the Rolls blade was mowing down some of the stubble, just not very comfortably or efficiently. I think I need to have another go at sharpening the blade again.

On the plus side at least I survived my first Rolls shave without drawing blood, and although my face felt a bit sore post shave it did not last long, and I actually achieved a very close shave in the end.
Well done on your first Rolls shave, it can take a couple of shaves to get the correct angle......or it could need to be sharper :) but well done none the less :)

Well done on your first Rolls shave, it can take a couple of shaves to get the correct angle......or it could need to be sharper :) but well done none the less :)
Thanks, I was just thinking that maybe it being a bit blunt actually helped me find the right angle, I did play around with angles a bit but must admit it did feel quite natural after the first few passes. But even when I strayed off angle it did not bite.

P - that sounds like the future with the Gibbs - thanks @jmudrick - cheers - I.
I think it will be a neater solution not that cutting the edges off doesn't work....but there should be no checking for alignment and then tightening up, it should just be like putting a blade in any other DE razor. Happy days! :) P.

Back
Top Bottom