Shave of the day Saturday 15th-Friday 21st july 2017

Greetings All,

Tuesday shave.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa Red pre-share
Soap: Executive Shave Bay Rum Cream
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2nd)
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, followed by a shower then Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Another great shave with the Wilkinson sword razor – another to add to the keep list.

New razors arrived when to try them!!!!!! :)

But miss times my delivery (to family in the USA travelling here) from ItalianBarber so my RazoRock XX and RazoRock X will have to wait a while :(

SOTD: 18/07/18
SOTD 180717.jpg
Pre shave: Bluebell Soap with shower Made in Scotland, BBA Pre shave oil
Soap: The Groom Room, Essence of Scotland.
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow #1
Razor: Asylum Evo (on loan)
Brush: Executive Shaving Company 22mm Best Badger
Post Shave: Witch hazel & BBA Post Shave Balm.
EDT: Paco Rabanne Black XS

My first use of this soap,(A special thank you to @Blademonkey must go here for his generosity in gifting me with this soap. You are a star mate.)... and I must say it created a lovely lather with good cushion but maybe slickness is lacking a little. I am not sure on the scent yet. I was expecting more punch and could only detect a very small hit of whiskey which was a little disappointing. :)
This little brush is lovely for face painting and works superbly for its size. Enough soap for at least 4 passes.
I am desperate to love this razor and changed the blade from an Astra SP to the Gillette 7 o'clock to see if there was any substantial dfference.
Alas there was not. Don't get me wrong it will mow down your whiskers but to me it is no where near the Rockwell 6c for example when it comes to glide and final finish.
A 3 pass shave has left me BBS but I am still suffering from razor burn around the neck.
Finishing off with the witch hazel calming the neck down and the BBA.
A couple of squirts of PR Black XS and good to go :)

Enjoy your shaves everyone,
Wayne

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – Weber ARC
Blade – Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush - 'El Monstruo' (Romera Manchurian 30/50 Fan)
Soap – Local Gent : Fields & Streams
Post - Cold water rinse / Chatillon Lux: Bon Vivant Post Shave Toner

Wonderful ( Saturday ) shave, with another 5* soap that doesn't seem to get the love it deserves, and 'El Monstruo' behaved at an obscene level, yet again...it may take a while to get a Romera Manchurian, but it really is worth it...

+1 Yeah it's like getting blood out of stone, trying to get a brush from him but definitely worth the wait.

Last edited:
9fcf295a818e9b2a9bf597a5ce9142b6.jpg

Gartbnx....

Tuesday 18th July 2017

sotd 18th July-001.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso Green
Razor: Gillette Techmatic 1966
Blade: NOS Gillette Techmatic Adjustable (#1) Medium Setting
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 Band finest
Soap: Wickhams Le Bleu
AS: Benjamins Bay Rum

My last few shaves were with a Schick L1 + Japanese Schick Blade, RSC Synthetic Brush, L'Occitane Cade or T&H comfort cream samples. AS was Benjamins Bay Rum + Lucky Tiger Aspen. I was on a quick trip to visit family in London and Windsor and the Schick L1 makes a good travel razor but I wish I had taken my OneBlade Core or a Gillette Guard. The Schick L1 is a great razor but not one suited to a rushed shave that the OneBlade and the Guard can deliver, only one minor weeper and one very decent 2 pass shave so not all bad.

Today though was something very different for me, I picked up a Gillette Techmatic and some NOS blades a while ago and decided as this is currently the anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission that it would be a good time to give it a try. Michael Collins shaved with a Techmatic during the mission, but my bathroom would clearly be a less challenging place to shave.......

I had read varying different opinions on the Techmatic, so it was with some trepidation that I shaved this morning, well it was a very pleasant surprise. A fairly effortless shave which reminded me a bit of the OneBlade Core and the Gillette Guard, a little pressure seemed to be in order but I had the adjustable cartridge set to medium, maybe having it on high and using no pressure may be in order next time. Next time will also be with brushless cream to try and recreate a bit more of the Apollo 11 shaving experience, I will have to make do with Boots brushless instead of Old Spice Brushless cream though.

Last edited:
Bath/Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
Blues Goats Milk Soap
Mason Pearson Pure Badger
Merkur 34C
Super Iridium 1
Proraso Green ASL
Trumper's West Indian Limes Aftershave

A new razor and blade combo tonight.
The 34C arrived today courtesy of the BST , thanks to @Tom , and the blade is another from a sample pack kindly donated by Iain, @Digimonkey .
Together they were faultless, smooth and very effective.
I applied more Proraso pre shave for the second pass as I have seen comments by other members doing so, and I think it's beneficial so I'll try it with other razors/blades in future.
I didn't get the best from the soap as the brush is on it's last legs, it's as floppy as a floppy thing.
Three passes without any nastiness, and totally BBS.
I dare say I got a better shave with this razor/blade than I have with my 37C.
This razor is a little belter, I look forward to using it again.
A splash of Trumper's Limes and I smell half decent too.

Sotd - Tuesday - 18/7

Razor - Merkur 37c
Blade - Supermax Super Plat (2)
Brush - Semogue 1305
Soap - MT Mint Ice Menthol
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Alcolado Glacial
Balm - Vifrex gel
Scent - Creed Bois de Portugal.

Result - great. Three day's growth gone effortlessly. I had planned on using another of the samples I received last week but the weather suggested otherwise. Menthol all the way. What's worse than Glasgow in the rain? Glasgow in the sun - 'tap's aff' weather. We are not an attractive nation. Anyway - I managed to use a brush this shave that didn't have Maseto written on it - well done me. I was thinking - isn't it about time that the manufacturer pitched up with a TSR discount code? Given the number we must have bought collectively? The decent thing to do surely? Ha ha. I have several of the MT pastes and none of them are short of excellent for me. My Glacial is about to run out - I noticed someone else using Fine Snakebite today - might consider that as a replacement. It's pretty hardcore menthol I think. A spot of Vifrex to seal the deal and off to meet my mates in the West End to do our small bit in helping tackle the E.U Furstenberg lake. Somebody has to do it - anyway - when it's warm you have to keep your fluid levels up. Enjoy your shaves one and all. cheers - I.

IMG_20170718_195003.JPG
Prep....Shower ~ Olive oil soap
Razor.... Colonial Razors ~ General (Brass)
Blade.... Feather Pro Super
Bowl.... Little Wren Pottery
Soap.... Klar~ Lemongrass
Brush.... Semouge 2000
Post.... Thayers Rose petal, BBA Post Shave balm, Jojoba Oil
Scent.... TF Tabacco Vanille, from Mr Perfume

After a solid week with the Blackland Sabre what was my first choice, yes the General, in brass fitted out with a feather super, another great razor and blade combination.

The Klar with its great Lemongrass scent lathered up into a creamy consistently offered me all the protection and slick N slide that was required.
The shave was close, two passes with a couple of touch ups and I was done, smooth and irritation free.

I finnished off with my post shave routine of Thayers, BBA balm and Jojoba oil, job done, and done well.

My scent for today is the heady Tabacco Vanille Oil, a Tom Ford clone from Mr Perfume, wow, this pack's a punch, it's a beast of a scent and has longevity on it's side.

Wishing you all a great day...... :)

Now ready to take my dog for his morning run out, it's overcast but dry for now! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom