S.O.T.D w/c Saturday 24th - Friday 30th August 2013, incl.

I read a less than glowing review of one of my favorite creams today, so I decided to pull it out and use it. The review was of eShave White Tea. It wasn't a bad review, it just wasn't as complimentary as I would have hoped. eShave White Tea has an amazing scent, lathers easily, and is extremely slick. I like to use it in superlathers with PdP or Proraso White, but it stands on its own quite well. It is one of my all time favorite creams and I highly recommend it.

As I am using a slightly neglected member of my software family, I decided to also use a neglected razor. I have been experimenting with SE razors lately, before that I was trying out various DE blades, and before that I was playing with my beloved disposable blade straight razors...which means that my traditional straight razors have been sitting and waiting quietly for me to pick them up again. Today's razor is a P.H. Hahn 5/8 full hollow square point. Mr. Hahn was, for a very short period of 7 or 8 years, an importer of German made razors during the late 1800s, so this razor has some history to it.

After a quick touch up on my pasted strop followed by my usual stropping I did a three pass wtg/atg/xtg shave and finished up with a cold water rinse and some T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel. Let me start by saying that I was not as careful as I should have been. I managed a DFS with some moderate irritation on my right side and three nicks. The square point caught me twice and I managed to nick a mole without realizing it. I chalk this one up to too much speed and not enough attention. I figure that straight razor shaving is a lot like riding a bike. I don't compare the two with the idea that once you learn you never forget. I compare the two acts with the truth that if you do it correctly it seems effortless, but if you screw up you're left with marks.

In the end It was still a good shave. The eShave White Tea performed exceptionally well with little effort and left my face feeling soft. The razor may have been blood thirsty, but it was still effective. A few more shaves with my straights and I should be right back to where I left off.

Pre: Hot shower, warm water rinse, Shave Secret
Razor: P.H. Hahn 5/8 full hollow
Brush: Made-Rite pure badger
Soap: eShave White Tea shave cream

e2a9uzes.jpg

Good moring Gentlemen,

A very enjoyable moring shave with my 5/8" Kropp.

-Kropp 5/8" (restored by UKRob)
-Simpsons The Commodore X3
-D.R. Harris Winsdor, shaving soap
-D.R. Harris Winsdor, after shave lotion

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-30-08-2013.JPG

My best wishes for the comming weekend!

Greetings

Friday 30th August 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Contour II
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

My first shave with this razor and it gave me a really good shave but I needed a good deal of 'touching up'. The razor is very mild and IMHO the mildest razor made by GEM even more so than the Contour the previous model GEM.

This was the last model of razor made by GEM before all production was ended.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04561.JPG

Friday (hurrah)

hot shower, shampoo beard
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera soap
MenU Bristle brush
Shark Super Stainless (3)
Edwin Jagger DE89
Cold splash
Body Shop White Musk A/S balm

Not the best shave, needed 2 Against the grain passes to get remotely close.
Going off these Sharks, they're OK but inconsistent.

Hot shower,
Kiehls face scrub,
Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil,
Taylor of Old Bond St Grapefruit cream,
Executive shaving best badger brush,
Muhle R41
Gillette 7'o'clock yellow,
E-shave cucumber aftershave cream.

I had a really close shave with this combo a few days ago with feather blades. But with the 7 o'clocks it was a weeping disaster, only managed one pass before giving up. Oh well it's all trial and error to see what works best.

Thursday evening

Prep : Clinique face soap and scruff
Razor : Merkur Progress XL
Blade : Treet durasharp
Brush : Kent BLK12
Soap stick : La Toja
Post shave : Ice cold flannel followed by a splash of Proraso

Second shave with La Toja and what a revelation with the Kent brush, loads a of lovely lather and my face felt excellent afterwards. Very impressed with the La Toja stick, a lot more expensive than the Palmolive but I would say it's a better performer. Speaking of which I'm geting on far better with the Kent than the Chubby 2 at the moment. May be floppy but just immense at producing, and giving, lather. Chubby 2 take note.

Today's Shave with the Futur PIF.
I know that some of you on here have different approaches to different thing but here is a proper random test.

I received the Futur PIF Razor yesterday and after sorting it out the manufacturer could do better IMO, So I said to the wife pick a number between 1 and 8 she picked six which was the TOBS Jermyn Street Sensitive, pick one of these blades from the selection offered she did it was a Topaz the pick black or cream she chose black and that was the Chinese badger brush.

So back to the bathroom for my shower and shave.
Hot Shower
Futur PIF
Topaz Blade
TOBS Jermyn Street Sensetive
Chinese Badger
Fusion ASB

From the moment that I unpacked this razor I just loved the weight and general feel it did not disappoint me. Having never used an adjustable before and being a practical type I went 3 2 1 + plus a little touch up on my problem area. The result a very nice clean shave with no nicks at all. I will need to have another few shaves but initial thoughts I would buy one. If that remain the same after a few more shaves I will have to keep a sharp look out in the BST section.

This PIF is such a great idea, I'm truly grateful to whoever thought it up.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: T&H 1805 cream
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3
Razor: Weber Polished/Bulldog
Blade: Sputnik Teflon (3)
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

Excellent shave. Weber/Sputnik delivered as usual. I've decided the Commodore is best suited to creams, due to a slight lack of backbone compared to my other brushes. T&H was a perfect match.

Have a great day everyone!

Prep: Hotish shower
Brush: Astor by Simpson
Razor: Edv. Neiström no 2, Eskilstuna, Sweden
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Blue Stratos '
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

Fall's getting closer ...

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
New Forest Tubby 1, Cella
Feather AS-D2, Rapira SS (1)
Cold Splash
Clinique post-shave healer

Back to the AS-D2 today and it played a blinder... best shave I've had for days. Very nice

Friday 30th August

SOTD30813_zps82171b6e.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
Trumpers Coconut hard soap bowl lathered
Simpson 59 best badger brush
Gillette 1920 Big fellow
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers lavender witch hazel
Myrsol lemon aftershave

A most comfortable shave. I was looking at the Big fellow on yesterdays SOTD and thought the knurling was a little scruffy. 2 lots of the foil, baking powder and boiling water and the transformation is amazing the black just melted away :icon_razz:

Brian

782sirbrian said:
Gillette 1920 Big fellow

I was looking at the Big fellow on yesterdays SOTD and thought the knurling was a little scruffy. 2 lots of the foil, baking powder and boiling water and the transformation is amazing the black just melted away :icon_razz:

Brian

Yep, those razors clean up real well. I think both the handle and head are silver plated. Heh, my only problem is those things have too much bite for me to get wet. I have one in the arsenal but never use it.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom