S.O.T.D. Saturday 4th Febuary to Friday 10th Febuary 2017

Sunday 5 February 2017

GfC0DeACJr0c6xa_H8iiMIkT6J5ZpMJyIN90Y5q6k38GpA3xy-t0C3s8eO3BhK4JHrZ9m-oC2eF-48M2V395mNrCuuVFGbOn4g=w1366-h768-no

Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai

Sunday shave in a rainy day. Here in Italy it is raining since many days and clouds high in the sky promising more and more rain. In my monthly trip I brought with me one of the fist Mastro Livi razors I added to my collection, the first san mai damascus the famous artisan from Perugia made for me. I like everything about this razor but I must say the three colors amboyna scales really amaze me. A great match to the gorgeous blade made with two different carbon damascus steels and assembled by using the San Mai technique, therefore obtaining a three layers blade. Not to mention how smooth it is the shave it gives, this time completed with the spicy touch of Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla aftershave.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Barbe Rosse
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

Your brush was the inspiration behind my first brush from Bob. I love it.
It should be with me in the next couple of weeks, can't wait.

Thank you that is very cool. @markdig , @semperfi45 and I developed a friendship through shaving forums. We discussed and designed the brush together and went to Bob with our ideas. Bob certainly delivered with this brush.

Morning all

Pre - Hot bath, hot shower - no interruptions from the grandson
Soap - Executive Shaving Co - Natural Shaving Cream
Razor - Merkur 25c
Brush - Vulfix Simpson synthetic brush
Blade - Voskhod teflon coated
Post Shave - Executive Shaving intensive moisturising balm
Post Shave - La Toja aftershave Lotion - LOVE THIS STUFF

Not the best shave, not sure why. Try again tomorrow

Same equipment, same result - a wholly unsatisfying shave. Clearly the blade/razor combination is a no go at the moment.

One good thing was I had my grandson with me. I lathered a Muhle brush for him and he used a Gillette ball end tech to "shave" his chin. He had a great time copying me and was very proud and rushed to show his Grandma how good his shave was. He now has a Muhle brush and 1960s Ball End Tech as his first shaving kit and even though it will be at least another decade before he starts shaving (he is 4), he will be a traditional wet shaver! Start em young I say!

Sun 5th Feb

RazoRock Plissoft 22mm
P & B Spitfire
Gem Junior Brass 1912
Gem [ 2 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse Off
Tabac A/S lotion

As a change from recent shaves with Modern SE razors, went Vintage. Chose perhaps my Favourite 1912, the compact Gem Junior which I prefer to the " Damaskeene".

When reverting to Gem powered razors, I am mindful of the the need to exercise care as they are less forgiving than those using AC/Injector blades. This is made apparent with the first tentative passes, so I was extremely pleased to have not only a trouble free Shave, but one that
was quite smooth and very close all round.

IMG_1149.jpg

Sunday AM 2017-02-05

Helen Chen suribachi, with electric mug warmer
Elite Razor Copper-Laced Onyx Martin, Manchurian White (26mm/57mm)
Figaro P.160 shaving soap (tallow) + a few spritzes of Acqua di Parma Colonia EdT
Delta Echo Feather AS-D2/UFO Red Bronze Kaiser
Wilkinson Light Brigade (8)
Acqua di Genova 1853 aftershave

The brush is wonderful, like a cross between a Simpson Super and a vintage Plisson HMW. With a little AdP added for fragrance, the Figaro made great lather. The UFO Kaiser, like the Colibri, is just a bit too small for my hand.
sIGzYlj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom