S.O.T.D. Saturday 30th August to Friday 5th September 2014

Thursday September 4, 2014

Thursday September 4, 2014

178308d1409839309-sun-august-31th-sat-september-06th-sotd-04092014.jpg

Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point

On the road again. This time I am traveling with this Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, not so fancy however it is doing its job. And, yes, it does not compare to a Mastro Livi razor at all but I am however glad because I took with me the lovely Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop.​

• Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre-Shave Green
  • Soap: Proraso Shaving Soap White Tub
  • Brush: Omega Boar Brush 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum After Shave

Cold Water
Prep Pre Shave Creme
MWF
Semogue 2000
Gem Junior Bar
Gem PTFE Stainless
Brut Musk

Another great shave, the 2000 is a monster brush, coming to the end of my boar brush rotation last one tomorrow.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Prof. Blighty's Grapewood
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: Stadet (Stahly head + Cadet handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
After: Speick Active AS, St. James Mandarin & Patchouli ASB

My new Stahly razor felt quite nimble paired with a shortish Cadet handle; still haven't decided which handle to best pair with it. The last time I used this head I loaded it with a Sputnik blade but it was a bit mild so added a shim. This time around I reached for a Feather thinking it will give more aggression. I guess it did slightly. Unlike most others I find that a Feather doesn't make that much difference to the shave except perhaps more irritation. Today's shave was smooth and much closer than I thought whilst shaving; almost BBS but not quite close enough. Tomorrow I'm going to shimmy.

SOTD140904_zps1de05ab8.jpg

fancontroller said:

My new Stahly razor felt quite nimble paired with a shortish Cadet handle; still haven't decided which handle to best pair with it. The last time I used this head I loaded it with a Sputnik blade but it was a bit mild so added a shim. This time around I reached for a Feather thinking it will give more aggression. I guess it did slightly. Unlike most others I find that a Feather doesn't make that much difference to the shave except perhaps more irritation. Today's shave was smooth and much closer than I thought whilst shaving; almost BBS but not quite close enough. Tomorrow I'm going to shimmy.

Hiya doin,

I actually like seeing that combo. It's a handle I wouldn't have thought of using myself. It's one I wasn't very familiar with.

As you know, a heavy handle can give you more bite so that's what I'd suggest for your selection. The head's pretty heavy (30g) so it can take some weight pretty well balance wise.

Sounds like the Feather did a nice job, just maybe not life changing.

Martin

dodgy said:
fancontroller said:

Hiya doin,

I actually like seeing that combo. It's a handle I wouldn't have thought of using myself. It's one I wasn't very familiar with.

As you know, a heavy handle can give you more bite so that's what I'd suggest for your selection. The head's pretty heavy (30g) so it can take some weight pretty well balance wise.

Sounds like the Feather did a nice job, just maybe not life changing.

Martin

I think you're right Martin, a heavier handle seems to work better. This Cadet handle does look great with the head though, chrome matches perfectly and it gets to be all sparkly. I was experimenting by making the razor a bit top-heavy, although the handle has a fair weight it's quite short.
I've tried with Weber and ATT Kronos handles but the jury's still out.
Just as I expected, this head feels really safe and comfortable for an easy going shave.

Sapone : Lebelle Soaps Raspberry Lemonade
Pennello : Romera Briar Rustic Chubby
Rasoio : Thiers Issard Eagle 5/8
Strop : Paciccella in Cordovan
AS : Alt Innsbruck
EDT : Alt Innsbruck

image.php

image.php

Back
Top Bottom