ASL: Floïd The Genuine

Last night's shave was kept simple

Somersets Sensitive shave oil
Merkur Futur/Astra SP (3)
Mason Pearson pure badger
Palmolive Cream
Real Shaving Co Post Shave Balm
CK Be edt

Only one days growth, so two passes was sufficient.
The Palmolive always does the job, nice rich lather and a nice smell.

SOTD:
On a late today, thought I'd use the sample from Scheermonnik I went for "The Thunder"

Scent is great, admittedly I saw lavender and hated it before I'd spelt it, however I cant pick lavender in the scent, it's a dark scent to me musky a little with a sweetness I can't put my finger get on.

I struggled to get a good residual sickness, it caught me out a few times, i bowl lathered this so I know I had the right water to the sample, I enjoyed the shave but at bits I felt almost my skin had dried off

Glacial finished it off with a boom [emoji51]
3a9617f8718bc382cca3a2ecd45c9a39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

zNNS4AA.jpg

First shave with a Feather Proguard on my Asylum RX and I'm very pleased with it! Shaved as close as the Feather Pro and gave a better post-shaving feeling, more comfortable. I even was able to achieve a comfortable and weeper-free ATG pass on the moustache area... I still have to try the Kai Protouch but this Feather Proguard seems to be a keeper. ;)

K69us--D0dFnY4BKqnLHU7xQlWUSZRhzNFEMYzKsp0XD7RDPrX7amj6yGhLZvK-PGQgVn3iG4rKAf9t6u4eH_5cJ1eL4puVI8dVz_BYT4t6v9arBNkAiiMeqPZQLNIxFdMJ3MkZbp19e7tXRfsKDSpzJl9B7sGNEug1XZHPQRxr1RlKDft_UCc0xvYcJCer6ykEulcszfObtmWknXtIDlTIzhH7TVryh_BTr6oQURuNgF4tqxW4gZGNvVhr2oOzViZNdalLOvFr86NYZIK9bvnPwQTmnR4m2v8lmuEtp6aaZdeFb64BdC9GeJzqdCqyt0gpl_OKwO_UxsTzqbvpvStFPROaxXmGb0oyaa98O5jLHvjifK94BbLwWFZzAAgd8pGtDBb9-l0h9YstxEKG8VzIiXC7N7K7ADq2gTYdpxsOyvrRXWO9smZUTGH9L8j90uqj2_I6UGOLeUKDkroZUsnQ4DSzm8exKbEaDKOA9PGVtfipsttm-mWb8q2cHpLTtYfOSLUTXXTgAu1f_MGP56BhNl1tbpTL91szgJh3f2YKNEfwIr4oSveg5F_qKmtZv3cw-BYqOSJSJa85FaUTwiiCbl8Ci6p0Un6smLocrQmCnZ1BBMlRuRA=w879-h659-no

Brush: Omega 20102
Razor: Gibbs No 17
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless
Soap: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Coconut Oud
Post: Boots Tea Tree Witch Hazel, Nivea 2 Phase & Ard Al Zaafaran Oud 24 Hours

My second cold water shave and I am quite enjoying them, not unpleasant nor am I missing warm water. I don't know if this blade is a duff blade or it's glue but there was some beige residue on the blade, I noticed it yesterday but thought nothing of it. A decent shave but in my experience with the various 7 O'Clock blades they are ok at best. Say what you will about the owner of PAA but he knows how to make a fantastic soap! Lathers like a champ and the scent is simply exquisite. Topped off by the divine Oud 24 Hours, lovely stink!

Wednesday

IMG_4580.jpg

I perhaps should have resisted shaving but I went for it anyway. Cracked out the C.R.Salter cream which smells heavenly - Turkish Delight is a definite comparison.

The RR Hawk with a Feather Pro on it's 4th outing did a decent enough job for me. It didn't struggle, but I did get a little 'scrub-happy' in places so am a little tender (hence why I should have resisted). I'm a little hot in places but 99% smooth and, had I given my neck an extra day rest, I would have been very happy with the results.

I can't get over how good this little Hawk is for the money...

SOTD 20170531

aHWR6SB.jpg

Brush: J&T® apple / Cashmere synthetic 24 mm.
Shaving bowl: Epsilon.
Shaving cream: Proraso Cypress & Vetiver.
Razor: Gillette Pocket Edition Old Type (serial number A947893 == 1909).
Blade: Supermax Super Platinum (8).
After shave: Proraso Cypress & Vetiver after shave cream.

Jan... I can't stand seeing that old lousy razor, my friend. Send it my way for disposal and I'll send you back a nice aluminium Tech. Deal?:rolleyes::p

Wednesday's shave :)

Pre-shave - warm shower, Wright's Coal-tar soap and Proraso Pre Shave Cream (Green).
Razor - ATT SE1 (Bamboo handle).
Blade - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) (day 2).
Soap - Proraso Shaving Cream (Green).
Brush - Simpsons Duke 2.
Post shave - Proraso (Green) Aftershave Splash and Organic Aloe Vera Cream.

No time for a three pass shave today with the Hone 15, so opted for a 2 pass with the ATT SE1. A very enjoyable 2 pass close comfortable shave.

I am going on holiday soon (the Med) an beginning to think about holiday shave gear. Leaning towards Proraso Green at the moment, as that seems to lather up well in all conditions and the cool refreshing menthol will be a bonus.

All the best,

Chris

Last night's shave:

Prep: Hot shower, L ‘Oreal charcoal face wash and Wickhams Magnum bath soap
Pre: Hot towel and King of shaves shave oil
Razor: ATT SE1 with Bamboo and Atlas handles
Razor blade: Feather Pro
Brush shavemac Two Band Snowman
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Cream: Truefitt & Hill Grafton

The ATT SE1 is ANOTHER razor on loan from James AKA @Acer89 . As I'm sure most of you are aware I've been trying many of razors over the last few months looking for THE ONE. Well last night I think I just might have just found it. :hyper::dance::woot:

I'm sure you are all shocked and saying to yourselves ‘'surely the fussy bugger has found some fault with it?''.:rolleyes:
Well the only thing I wasn't a massive fan of was the Bamboo handle. It was OK but a little too long for my liking.

The first few strokes were a shock, as they usually are with Feather Pro's (rough and tuggy). My first thought was ‘‘Christ! This is supposed to mild!?''. After the first few strokes the blade smoothed out. After the first past I decided to swap the handle for the Atlas and things improved again, more responsive and easier to control. Great feedback and very efficient. The finished result was the best shave I've had for months. There was a fair amount of sting from the aftershave so I will need to improve my technique. The thing which really appeals to me is the efficient, cutting angle, blade feel it's all there and I think it will respond well to different blades.

I've used a couple of razors which have shaved as close as the SE1, including the Muhle R41 and Blackbird but they left me feeling tender. The only other razor which comes close is the ATT S2. I'm seriously thinking of selling most of my razors to buy the SE1. I was that impressed.

I would like to try the SE2 before I pull the trigger on the SE1 so……….Has anyone got a SE2 they wouldn't mind letting me borrow? I know I'm a cheeky git!:p:

Massive thank you to James who's advice and loan of his razors has been invaluable. :eek:kay::D

@Acer89 @Looney12345

Cheers
Rob

View: https://youtu.be/YXfnZ7HYD_k
Great photograph and write up.

I am a recent convert to the ATT SE1 (Bamboo handle, which I love). I found the Feather Pro's a bit much, left my skin feeling tight. Since then I have used Captain Tai Titan Mild (Pink) blades, which for me (and I appreciate that YMMV) work very well.

I see that Feather have "Soft" SE blades, I might give those a try.

All the best,

Chris

Great photograph and write up.

I am a recent convert to the ATT SE1 (Bamboo handle, which I love). I found the Feather Pro's a bit much, left my skin feeling tight. Since then I have used Captain Tai Titan Mild (Pink) blades, which for me (and I appreciate that YMMV) work very well.

I see that Feather have "Soft" SE blades, I might give those a try.

All the best,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I'll be trying a Schick Proline next, which I love in the Colonial General SE. @patw has also recommended the Kai Pink's too. I believe I may have already tried them in The General. Another forum member sent me a selection of blades. If it's the one I think it is I did rate the ‘pink'. I'll have to double check though.

Wed 31st May
Omega 11126 boar
De Vergulde hand
The General Alu. + S/S handle
Schick Proline Type P [ 5 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Myrsol Antesol A/S lotion

A later Shave than usual, as took our friend to Gatwick Airport first. Made a good decision to beat commuters on the M25 so set off at 6, a fair journey. Coming back we noted that by now the route out was solid and not moving well. So setting off early paid dividends, as we did some shopping and were indoors by 8:30.

Revisited the Alu General today, and despite being fitted with a Proline blade it felt quite harsh on the upper lip/ chin and I managed to acquire a weeper on the chin. Other than that the Shave was fair enough, but not as easy and comfortable as my recent ones with the Claymore. Will now have to see how the Brass General goes with the Proline! in comparison to the Claymore.

IMG_0175.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom