S.O.T.D Saturday 23rd July to Friday 29th July 2016

Good, I'm looking forward to trying the osp spice road, everyone raves about it.
Enjoy your holiday.
Bloody hell...I think I'm becoming dyslexic...you said 'ops spice road'...which i saw before but read as 'Old Spice' and immediately thought: Wow, is there an Old Spice shaving soap again? So i blitzed the interwebnetthingy and could only find ancient stuff on eBay (mainly US)...then checked back to see if I had been seeing things, and of course...I had!

One day I'll get myself a proper Old spice shaving mug and a puck of Old Spice soap that has been created as new because someone in power believes it should be re-released! (Of course, having never tried the original, it could be total crap:eek::D)

Wednesday AM 2016-07-27

Georgetown Pottery G20 scuttle with tepid water
Rooney 2/1 Faux Horn Finest (21mm/53mm)
Aramis JHL shaving soap (tallow) + Aramis JHL shaving cream (vintage)
Feather AS-D2/Triad Purple Aristocrat
Wilkinson Light Brigade (4)
Acqua di Genova 1853 aftershave
4FndSFo.jpg

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's with the signature dice churchill?

Bloody hell...I think I'm becoming dyslexic...you said 'ops spice road'...which i saw before but read as 'Old Spice' and immediately thought: Wow, is there an Old Spice shaving soap again? So i blitzed the interwebnetthingy and could only find ancient stuff on eBay (mainly US)...then checked back to see if I had been seeing things, and of course...I had!

One day I'll get myself a proper Old spice shaving mug and a puck of Old Spice soap that has been created as new because someone in power believes it should be re-released! (Of course, having never tried the original, it could be total crap:eek::D)

Ha ha, I do that all the time, I should have put it in capitals OSP spice road.
I wish someone could bring out the old old spice puck because they were/ are fantastic, I am lucky enough to have a couple of pucks and mugs and although some of the scent has gone the soap is as good as it ever was.
You can still find them for sale on certain sites but be prepared to pay through the nose......a strange expression, I wonder where it came from!

View attachment 19865 This is my first shave using the Hone type 15, I will be shaving with this razor only for a full week so I can properly evaluate it and pass my findings on to you day by day.I will be using the same shave soap throughout the week MWF, the only thing I will change is the make of blade every two days.
So today the blade was a new feather, started with my normal routine of a shower while the soap was blooming and the razor and brush were soaking in warm/ hot water.( brush omega boar )
Now skin fully hydrated I splashed some of the bloom water on my face and whipped up a slick lather in my bowl.
The first thing I noticed was how the razor stayed warm after being taken out of the water.....nice. First pass WTG , found the correct angle of attack on the second swipe very easy to find, feeling right, sounding right, smooth and easy to shave with.
The first pass removed a good amount of beard on par with any good razor.
Second pass...XTG ,the same ,very smooth shaving taking the growth down as you would expect from a good razor.
Third pass ATG, again very smooth shaving ,completed the pass and felt what was a perfectly smooth face. Wow with a new feather blade this razor was very good, it was better than my ASD2 and as good if not slightly better than my ATT M2.
All in all for my first shave this was fantastic ,giving a perfect shave without any nicks or irritation, I followed up with a splash of witch hazel and once dry a drop of tabac shaving balm.
Tomorrow I will use the feather blade for a second time and pass my findings on to you, I will try to keep it shorter for you also.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I hope you all have a pleasant day.

@Blademonkey I'm pleased you had a fantastic shave with the Hone. What are your thoughts about the weight of the Hone? I see Andrew have changed the leather case with the word "Hone" on it.

@Blademonkey I'm pleased you had a fantastic shave with the Hone. What are your thoughts about the weight of the Hone? It's a I see Andrew have changed the leather case with the word "Hone" on it.

I like the weight, I just rest the head on my skin and let gravity do the work, along with the hone logo on the case it seems to be finished to a better standard along the edges as well, judging by the earlier pics on the website. All in all very nice indeed. Stay tuned for more Hone shaving tomorrow.

You can still find them for sale on certain sites but be prepared to pay through the nose......a strange expression, I wonder where it came from!
I believe it has something to do with Vikings - They used to charge a tax in return for not raping and pillaging villages - Danegeld - if you refused or failed to pay, they would slice through your nose. My own definition is that it is the price you pay for buying multiple straight razors without developing the appropriate skill level to use them appropriately and frequently slicing through your nose!;):(:D. (N.B. the first bit is quite accurate)

Another sink shot this morning...used my pewter shaving scuttle.
  • Glyce soap wash and Myrsol Emulsion pre-shave
  • Haslinger Sheep Milk and lanolin soap - Plissoft brush
  • Braveheart/EJ89 + Voskhod (2)
  • Alum + Coal tar soap wash
  • Aqua Velva Ice Blue splash
  • Proraso balm
View attachment 19866

Nice shave but not outstanding. Have a nice day all!
You've forgot the "cold Tar soap Wash":D:D:D...nice shaving set up,..i haven't tried Aqua Velva Ice Blue Splash..is it worth a purchase?.. i've just got some Voskhod blades, will be giving them a try out in the next few days.

I believe it has something to do with Vikings - They used to charge a tax in return for not raping and pillaging villages - Danegeld - if you refused or failed to pay, they would slice through your nose. My own definition is that it is the price you pay for buying multiple straight razors without developing the appropriate skill level to use them appropriately and frequently slicing through your nose!;):(:D. (N.B. the first bit is quite accurate)

Thank you for explaining that for me, every day I learn something new.
I have really enjoyed being a member of this forum even for the short amount of time I've been here, there is always someone willing to help or to give an opinion and even though we may not agree on some matter it's ok because of the belief that everyones opinion is valid even if we hold another. Happy shaving.

Back
Top Bottom