S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th May to Friday 26th May 2017

Sunday AM 2017-05-21

Georgetown Pottery G20 Scuttle (Jet Black)
Rooney 3/1 Ebony Finest (22m/48mm)
Harrods Cologne shaving soap (by Floris, vintage)
Feather AS-D2/UFO Colibri
Wilkinson Light Brigade (1)
Dolce & Gabbana aftershave
trJezQy.jpg

Greetings All,

One days' growth and returning to a hot water shave.

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Proraso pre-shave (white)

Soap: Dr Harris – Windsor shaving cream (sample)
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Personna platinum blue (1st use)
Brush: Molten Brown Shaving Brush

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum then a shower followed by Proraso post shave cream (white)

Interesting shave today – 3 passes with, across and against (plus a touch up).

After using a Feather blade for the last week or so (which I have found enjoyable), I thought I would change to the Personna. I do not know if it was the Dr Harris shaving cream that does not agree with my skin or the Personna blade, but the Alum block rub gave a lot of negative feedback. Even though I ended with a smooth shave, my skin, especially my neck feels slightly tenders. Blade or shaving cream – any thought?

003c638167494a42399f8d87431bf581.jpg

Pre: Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Cream: Kapo Fresh
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Modern German Schick Premium (1)
Balm: Argo Neo Gold
EDP: APR Aqua Di Sydney

"When in Rome....." and all that.
On the road, and a little exploration proved very fruitful. The Kapo Fresh cream is top stuff - lathers like a champ, and has a fresh, clean fragrance and a touch of menthol. What really surprised me was the residual slickness, which I find lacking in most creams.
Three very comfortable passes with not a pinprick of claret for a DFS+. I thought the German-made Schick was very good; not quite as buttery smooth as the Wilkie Super Swords I've recently been using, but a good all-round performer.
I was a little dubious about applying the Argo Neo Gold aftershave balm, as I've become very accustomed to the consistent excellence of Myrsol Emulsion. No worries - it worked like a champ. Soothing and moisturizing - great stuff. The scent is more complex than the Kapo Shaving Cream - It had notes that reminded me of Tabac and Imperial Leather.
All up an outstanding shave.
But the kicker was the incredible value of these local products. I'll give a fuller analysis in the Aqcuisitions thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings All,

One days' growth and returning to a hot water shave.

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Proraso pre-shave (white)

Soap: Dr Harris – Windsor shaving cream (sample)
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Personna platinum blue (1st use)
Brush: Molten Brown Shaving Brush

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum then a shower followed by Proraso post shave cream (white)

Interesting shave today – 3 passes with, across and against (plus a touch up).

After using a Feather blade for the last week or so (which I have found enjoyable), I thought I would change to the Personna. I do not know if it was the Dr Harris shaving cream that does not agree with my skin or the Personna blade, but the Alum block rub gave a lot of negative feedback. Even though I ended with a smooth shave, my skin, especially my neck feels slightly tenders. Blade or shaving cream – any thought?
Emit the Alum block for a few shaves and see if that eases the irritation on your neck.Try just using the Proraso post shave cream. I personally only use Alum when i get a nick, it doesn't agree with my skin..Regards.:)

Last edited:
Emit the Alum block for a few shaves and see if that eases the irritation on your neck.Try just using the Proraso post shave cream. I personally only use Alum when i get a nick, it doesn't agree with my skin..Regards.:)

I'm with you, Foxy. Alum was just too harsh for my skin as a regular part of my routine. I fully appreciate that it is a great product for those whose skin types are more compatible, but I now use it only for nicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday 21st May 2017
SOTD 21st May.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: GEM Micromatic OC
Blade: PAL Blue Carbon (#1)
Brush: Maseto 2 band finest 24mm
Soap: Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge
AS: Nivea 2 Phase balm

Echoes of @nolisco 's shave today and my last shave, the first pass certainly felt tuggy but nowhere near as much as yesterdays Feather Soft Guard in an iKon El Jefe. Second and third passes were much better and the last ATG pass was so smooth. However while 90% of my face was BBS there were a few patches that were not. I definitely need to try the Micromatic with a Stainless Steel blade next and try the Carbon blade in the 1912 I have.

Very impressed with the Czech and Speake soap, wonderful lather produced. I picked up the soap only at a good price off eBay, I would love to have the real aluminium tin but happy to make do with my £1.50 alternative. My Maseto brush has been losing 2 to 3 hairs each shave so far, it is still quite new but I hope it does not keep this up for too much longer.

Last edited:
Well surprise surprise, today I spent all day mowing. But it was in glorious sunshine, so its all good.
Decided to try the first of my new soaps, the razorock lime soda, it whipped up a dream and smelt really nice, not too sweet.
Great three pass, absolutely no mishaps which is amazing as I was being very lapzidazical in my approach.
Really nice finish, topped off with a large dollop of superdrug aftershave balm and moisturiser.
What a pleasant way to finish the day.
Fatip grande
Rapira super swede #3+last
Razorock lime soda soap
Executive shave pre oil
Omega boar brush
Parfums de Marley Herod
Dolce & Gabbana "the one" stick.
IMAG0562_1.jpg

Well surprise surprise, today I spent all day mowing. But it was in glorious sunshine, so its all good.
Decided to try the first of my new soaps, the razorock lime soda, it whipped up a dream and smelt really nice, not too sweet.
Great three pass, absolutely no mishaps which is amazing as I was being very lapzidazical in my approach.
Really nice finish, topped off with a large dollop of superdrug aftershave balm and moisturiser.
What a pleasant way to finish the day.
Fatip grande
Rapira super swede #3+last
Razorock lime soda soap
Executive shave pre oil
Omega boar brush
Parfums de Marley Herod
Dolce & Gabbana "the one" stick.
View attachment 25440
Sounds like you are very at one with the Fatip now, I find the Fatip is one of those razors that is so easy to use, probably why I use it more than any other razor now.

Sounds like you are very at one with the Fatip now, I find the Fatip is one of those razors that is so easy to use, probably why I use it more than any other razor now.
Yes I seem to be getting on well with it now, but I honestly think I will never forget it coming to an abrupt halt in the corner of my mouth with a flap of skin firmly wedged between blade and bar.
At the moment it's the fatip or the muhle r89, none of the others are getting look in.

Back
Top Bottom