S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th May to Friday 26th May 2017

Just realised that I posted my Saturday shave of the day in the wrong forum :-(

Saturday's shave..

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Coal Tar Soap followed by BBA Shave Oil.
Razor - ATT SE1, Bamboo handle.
Blade - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) (day 4).
Soap - Gentleman's Groom Room Essence of Scotland Sweet Gale Traditional Shaving Soap.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Best Badger.
Post shave - Cold water splash, followed by Myrsol "Plastic Shave" After Shave Massage and Organic Aloe Vera.

Great 2 pass shave, with slight touch up on the chin. The Kai blade for me (and I appreciate YMMV) is mild and gives a very good, comfortable shave. The Feather pros are also excellent, but so far, these leave my skin feeling slightly tight. Finishing off with the Myrsol was very good

I am really enjoying the ATT SE1 razor, performs well, solid build and looks beautiful.

Have a great weekend,

Update - my skin still feels great and relatively smooth.

Chris

2hrn9xf.jpg

Pre: Gillette Series Irritation Defence Pre Shave Wash
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #16
Blade: NOS British Personna (1)
Soap: TTFFC Spring Fern
Brush: Muhle 25mm XL Synthetic

23ea9124d91193a4c770e09929b9ab19.jpg

An effortless evening shave. Razor and blade combination works an absolute treat. Now for a couple of pints...

Evening gents,

Well what an interesting shave that was!

First use for a while of the Asylum RX loaded up with a Kai Protouch MG (3/4). It was also a first for three other products;

A new Maesto finest in horn, 30mm fan knot, set at 48mm. A 30mm fan knot set at 48mm?! Preposterous I hear you say! I had my reservations too... More on that to come.

Two very special Wickham products, @Fox concocted four wonderful soaps for my birthday and I received them late last week. I'll be using each in turn over the next four shaves, so each will be revealed with the relevant SOTD, I started with 1912 Southsea Spray. The second Wickham product is a tester for @Fox... His new aftershave Balm, in Classic 24 scent.

So, on to the shave, Maesto left to bloom in warm water whilst I showered along with the soap blooming at the same time. Loaded up for 30 seconds and commenced face lather! This brush was a real surprise. It has phenomenal backbone, without being scritchy (the very occasional prickle excluded), a great scrubby brush that builds up a brilliant lather and feels good in the process. Even on its first use it didn't hold back much lather in the knot and the flow through was great, both things I was concerned about when I received it. It's a keeper for sure and the resin is lovely as well. Delighted with this. The soap scent is gorgeous as well a really nice, fresh scent, look forward to using I it again in the future.

Now, the shave. I've had a couple of rough ones with the RX in the past so there was a little trepidation before I began. I needn't have worried, it felt smooth and efficient in equal measure. An adequate amount of blade feel and good audible feedback to guide me. I had 5 days stubble to get through and it coped admirably. This is where it gets interesting though, I'd pretty much finished my cheeks and went to start on my neck, rinsed the razor, went to start shaving... Nope, nothing. Try again, nothing. What the heck. Look at the head of the razor and it's completely clogged, with soap and my thick whiskers :D. This was nothing to do with the razor and everything to do with the lather. It was no where near hydrated enough. I hadn't watered it as much as I would do normally for one reason, the brush picked up a lot of soap and I'd underestimated quite how much it had! I dismantled the head, cleaned it and the blade out, rehydrated the soap and all was good with the world again.

Finished off the first and second pass with zero drama, no fuss and a very, very good finish. What a cracking shave.

A splash of cold water, some Thayers aloe witch hazel (my two go to steps after a shave) and then on with the balm. The balm is reasonably thick, but goes on easily, quickly absorbed and beautifully scented. Classic 24 is the only Wickham soap I haven't had in full tub and I'm going to have to get some. There was a bit of tingle initially, not the "phwoar" you associate with an alcohol splash, but definitely some tingle, my face also went a bit red, but as quick as that came, it subsided and my skin felt nourished and protected. The scent has lasted for around 7/8 hours as I can still faintly smell it having shaved at around 15:00 today. A very nice product!

A great shave, great products, I'm happy, I hope you are too!

img_20170520_135310-01-jpeg.12230

Evening gents,

Well what an interesting shave that was!

First use for a while of the Asylum RX loaded up with a Kai Protouch MG (3/4). It was also a first for three other products;

A new Maesto finest in horn, 30mm fan knot, set at 48mm. A 30mm fan knot set at 48mm?! Preposterous I hear you say! I had my reservations too... More on that to come.

Two very special Wickham products, @Fox concocted four wonderful soaps for my birthday and I received them late last week. I'll be using each in turn over the next four shaves, so each will be revealed with the relevant SOTD, I started with 1912 Southsea Spray. The second Wickham product is a tester for @Fox... His new aftershave Balm, in Classic 24 scent.

So, on to the shave, Maesto left to bloom in warm water whilst I showered along with the soap blooming at the same time. Loaded up for 30 seconds and commenced face lather! This brush was a real surprise. It has phenomenal backbone, without being scritchy (the very occasional prickle excluded), a great scrubby brush that builds up a brilliant lather and feels good in the process. Even on its first use it didn't hold back much lather in the knot and the flow through was great, both things I was concerned about when I received it. It's a keeper for sure and the resin is lovely as well. Delighted with this. The soap scent is gorgeous as well a really nice, fresh scent, look forward to using I it again in the future.

Now, the shave. I've had a couple of rough ones with the RX in the past so there was a little trepidation before I began. I needn't have worried, it felt smooth and efficient in equal measure. An adequate amount of blade feel and good audible feedback to guide me. I had 5 days stubble to get through and it coped admirably. This is where it gets interesting though, I'd pretty much finished my cheeks and went to start on my neck, rinsed the razor, went to start shaving... Nope, nothing. Try again, nothing. What the heck. Look at the head of the razor and it's completely clogged, with soap and my thick whiskers :D. This was nothing to do with the razor and everything to do with the lather. It was no where near hydrated enough. I hadn't watered it as much as I would do normally for one reason, the brush picked up a lot of soap and I'd underestimated quite how much it had! I dismantled the head, cleaned it and the blade out, rehydrated the soap and all was good with the world again.

Finished off the first and second pass with zero drama, no fuss and a very, very good finish. What a cracking shave.

A splash of cold water, some Thayers aloe witch hazel (my two go to steps after a shave) and then on with the balm. The balm is reasonably thick, but goes on easily, quickly absorbed and beautifully scented. Classic 24 is the only Wickham soap I haven't had in full tub and I'm going to have to get some. There was a bit of tingle initially, not the "phwoar" you associate with an alcohol splash, but definitely some tingle, my face also went a bit red, but as quick as that came, it subsided and my skin felt nourished and protected. The scent has lasted for around 7/8 hours as I can still faintly smell it having shaved at around 15:00 today. A very nice product!

A great shave, great products, I'm happy, I hope you are too!

img_20170520_135310-01-jpeg.12230

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 21 May 2017

Brush: - Semogue Special Edition 2012 Badger/Boar knot 24/55mm
Cream/Soap: - Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (European version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Colonial Razors "The General Alum. Head" SE with iKon Bulldog Handle
Blade: - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) #20
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm

SOTD:21st May 2017.​
B..JPG

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: hot shower:/Cien~Men: Tropical blast Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.

Pre:

Freshwood Brushless Shave Cream .

Brush: Chinese Synthetic.

Bowl Lather.

Cream: Palmolive 'Classic' .

Blade: Personna Lab Blue .(1)

Razor: Pearl SBF-11.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Peppermint Oil & Witch Hazel Mixture./ Brut: Alaska A/S.

Gillette A/S Balm.

Greetings,

A excellent 3 pass + pick ups silky smooth shave with no errors to report,yet again..I don't deny that i have a fondness for Indian made shaving products,they really work for me and i'll always give them great credit.. My Pearl SBF-11/Personna Lab Blue duo was a superb combo,resulting in another excellent shave..What more can i ask for.

Enjoy your sunday,ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
image.jpg SOTD 21st May. Old Spice Sunday. Smell Like A Man! :)

Pre....Shower - BBA Shave Oil
Razor....Gillettte Fatboy 1960 set on 5
Blade....Personna 74 #9
Soap....Old Spice. Shulton
Brush....Semouge 2000
Post....BBA post shave balm
A-S....Old Spice. Shulton

The Old Spice shave felt even more authentic today using the Fatboy fitted out with a Personna 74, what a blast from the past......a great shave was had and I'm feeling great, looking great and smeling great :)

You all have a great day....:)

Morning all

Soap - Star Noir - I am falling in love with this soap.
Brush - Semogue 2000 - 4th use so still breaking in
Razor - Mingshi 2000S
Blade - Astra SP (2)

Two days growth and the first test for the Mingshi - the weekend shave where I take my time, and really enjoy the whole process.
Result - A very nice shave indeed.

The Mingshi 2000S is a keeper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom