S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th August to Friday 26th August 2016

First...anything called 'Blademonkey' is going to be good...we can take that as a given. Also, your overall selection of shaving cream etc sounds really cool. I am, however, surprised about your difficulty with the RazoRock Plissoft...that goes against my own experience. Please, whatever you do, don't give up on it...it really is an excellent brush...for me it beats many badger and other hair brushes. As you have one, it would be a shame not to explore its possibilities! Anyone on this forum who disagrees?

I'll be keeping the Razorock, for now. It just doesn't seems to create any resistance to pick up the soap or against the side of the Aesop stainless steel bowl.o_O Personally it seems too soft.

I'm looking at getting a ceramic bowl or scuttle. I'll try the Razorock again and see what affect it has on the lather.

As you mentioned, you and many other have the exact opposite to my experience.
I did buy the Razorock due to the overwhelming positive reviews...As the saying goes YMMV.

Cheers
Rob.

SOTD 26th August 2016:

Razor- King Cobra
Blade- Feather Pro
Soap- Mike's Barber Shop
Brush- Morris & Forndran 2XL
AS- Fine American Blend

9a5533b0845613a6894bd8e4d17cf891.jpg

I'll be keeping the Razorock, for now. It just doesn't seems to create any resistance to pick up the soap or against the side of the Aesop stainless steel bowl.o_O Personally it seems too soft.

I'm looking at getting a ceramic bowl or scuttle. I'll try the Razorock again and see what affect it has on the lather.

I did buy the Razorock due to the overwhelming positive reviews...As the saying goes YMMV.

Cheers
Rob.
Good solution! A smooth sided bowl will never generate the kind of lathers with certain soaps...you need some texturing inside the bowl to work well. Also, you might try using the RazoRock wet but without too much water and then loading the brush and lathering on your face. I often do this and just use the scuttle to keep the brush and soap warm.

Cheers
Rob.

Steve Woodhead Ceramics does a fine range of scuttles, bowls and other hardware.

I'm heading in the right direction...

This evening's shave:
Glyce soap wash followed by Myrsol Emulsion
Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit - first time use and excellent it was too!
Duke 3 Best Badger brush
EJDE89 + Voskhod (3...I think!)
Meissner Tremonia Himalayan Heights AS
GFT West Indian Lime skin food balm

shave.jpg

Sort of an Indian/Himalayan/Sanskrit type link going on here...I believe, in Sanskrit 'Himalaya' means 'Abode of snow'...well there ya go then!

Really good, comfortable shave...now for a glass of red, a bucket of chicken drumsticks and a classic movie...still not sure what. (added at 10.25...the movie turned out too be 'Island of Terror'...classic brit Sci-Fi starring Edward Judd and Peter Cushing...love this stuff!)
Have a very good evening one and all!;):)

Last edited:
Veritable Dumas & Cie razor, Eastern Breeze Jabonman soap (sample), EJ with synthetic Muhle brush, Professor Blighty Lamia AS

055%2026%20Aug%202016.jpg

PS the scales are still in experimental phase
I'm no expert on straight razors, but that looks great...the bowl and brush look bloody fantastic and the Prof. Blighty AS fits perfectly. Couple of questions:
1. can you tell me where you got the AS from?...I've been trying to find it
2. Why include the plastic container? It lets it down just a teeny weeny bit:rolleyes:
I'm envious of everything in that pic! (OK, except the urine sample):D...you got some really cool kit!

Back
Top Bottom