S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th August to Friday 26th August 2016

Another brilliant #SOTD with the 0.68mm scalloped @Timelessrazor base plate
Here it's coupled with a BRW handle - just to mix things up :)
10i8cy0.jpg

oF0BmE1.jpg

• Lather: Wickham Soap Co. - 1912 - Parma Violet
  • Blade: J. Bingham "Criterion" 11/16 wedge (Wm. IV era)
  • Brush: custom oak handle 26mm synthetic - turningwright
  • After: alum, Thayers rose witchhazel, Bulldog aftershave
  • Scent: Grey Flannel

First time using a Wickham 1912 soap. It's rather different from other hard soaps I've used - it seems to literally burst into lather with a bit of water and slight brushing of the surface. But getting the lather exactly as a I wanted it (thicker & slipperier) was a little bit tricky - I imagine it's just a matter of using it more. Produced an overall excellent shave though.

The scent is good, though sweeter than I would have liked - but it's a "Parma Violet" scent, so I knew it would be sweet (Parma Violets are not dissimilar to CHoward's/C.Howard's violet mints). Still an excellent violet scent with a bit of spice (like Parma Violets, if my taste memory serves me right). I put an end to the sweetness after the shave with Grey Flannel's violet fougère.

As I said, I'll have to play about with the soap more to understand the lather better, but I would recommend this trying this soap simply because its lathering seems to me interestingly different from hard soaps in general.

Completely get your point about the 1912 soap...I've just started trying it out and have had a very similar experience. I'm a big fan of Grey Flannel as well. Nice pic too...Oh...just realised you might think I'm coming on to you, we have so much in common...:oops::oops::D

Schick Krona razor
Gillette Goal SP (#5)
Cold River Soap Works Citrus
MÜHLE "Silvertip"
brush

Blissful shave. Cold River Soap Works has the rep of being if not the best American artisan shave soap then surely tied for that title. It does require some work & lots of water, but the lather is divine. The citrus scent in this one is very potent to the point of smelling metallic.

Evening all. A BIG breakthrough tonight thanks to the generous gift from @Blademonkey.

Prep: Hot shower and Nivea face scrub.
Pre: Bloom water.
Razor: ATT R1
Blade: PolSilver (2)
Brush: 'The Blademonkey' badger brush.
Soap: P&B 'Spitfire'
Post: Hot & Cold rinse, Thayers unscented witch hazel and Myrsol 'Masaje Antesol'

My first time using a badger brush and all I can say is......

Straight away when I started loading the brush I knew I was on to a winner. It sounds an odd thing to say but it just sounded right.
When I've used my Razorock Plissoft I struggled to load the brush. With the badger it was so much easier.
It was a massive relief to be honest. I was starting to get a down about my lather. Talk about 'First World Problems'.

The most comfortable shave yet, during and afterwards. I did nick my nostril but nothing a bit of cold water couldn't sort out.

It's been a good night. Coming home to find Blademonkey's brush and then having a top shave. Come on!
Enjoy the long weekend chaps! Thanks again @Blademonkey.

Back
Top Bottom