S.O.T.D. Saturday 20th August to Friday 26th August 2016

Thursday AM 2016-08-25

Helen Chen suribachi
Rooney 3/3 Finest (26mm/65mm)
Floris Elite shaving soap (tallow) + Floris Elite shaving cream (vintage)
Feather AS-D2/Triad Brass Helix Round Bar
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Floris Elite aftershave (vintage)

A classical, wonderful shave. Couldn't have been better.
HN4RUxL.jpg
+1 for Floris...their shop at 89 Jermyn St., London is amazing.

Thursday AM 2016-08-25

Helen Chen suribachi
Rooney 3/3 Finest (26mm/65mm)
Floris Elite shaving soap (tallow) + Floris Elite shaving cream (vintage)
Feather AS-D2/Triad Brass Helix Round Bar
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (3)
Floris Elite aftershave (vintage)

A classical, wonderful shave. Couldn't have been better.
HN4RUxL.jpg
Fantastic Rooney, love it!

View attachment 20381
Afternoon Everyone:

Today's agenda:

Bath, long soak and Clinique Face Scrub, followed by Bulldog moisturiser, then a wet face to which Proraso pre-shave was applied.
Brush: Omega 'Mixed Midget'
Soap: Saponificio Verasino Tundra Artica (sample)
Face lather; cold water between passes and razor rinsing
Razor: 1960s English Tech
Blade: Feather #2
After Shave: Fine Platinum
Music: David Sylvian 'River Man'

Nice. Again, a combination of a mild razor and sharp blades really does the job. I like the Fine too...there's definetly a hint of Creed's Aventus in there; but I much prefer the Platinum. I can't justify Creed's cost. Which is a pity, because if Silver Mountain Water had anything like the longevity afforded by its price, I'd never run out.

Anyway, I digress; sorry. Great shave, lovely soap (sample still going strong) and skin suitably dolphin-esque.

Be well, folks ☺.
Good choice of music

oF0BmE1.jpg

• Lather: Wickham Soap Co. - 1912 - Parma Violet
  • Blade: J. Bingham "Criterion" 11/16 wedge (Wm. IV era)
  • Brush: custom oak handle 26mm synthetic - turningwright
  • After: alum, Thayers rose witchhazel, Bulldog aftershave
  • Scent: Grey Flannel

First time using a Wickham 1912 soap. It's rather different from other hard soaps I've used - it seems to literally burst into lather with a bit of water and slight brushing of the surface. But getting the lather exactly as a I wanted it (thicker & slipperier) was a little bit tricky - I imagine it's just a matter of using it more. Produced an overall excellent shave though.

The scent is good, though sweeter than I would have liked - but it's a "Parma Violet" scent, so I knew it would be sweet (Parma Violets are not dissimilar to CHoward's/C.Howard's violet mints). Still an excellent violet scent with a bit of spice (like Parma Violets, if my taste memory serves me right). I put an end to the sweetness after the shave with Grey Flannel's violet fougère.

As I said, I'll have to play about with the soap more to understand the lather better, but I would recommend this trying this soap simply because its lathering seems to me interestingly different from hard soaps in general.

Thursday 25th

Star 1912 w GEM Stainless #6

IMG_20160824_213031371.jpg

Always a super close shave with a 1912. Especially this beauty. James's prototype soap this time provided a great accompaniment.

Good shaves everyone !!!
Makes my 1912 look positively mediocre! Lovely razor and brush, and a really good pic ;)(not big fan of Bay Rum though...maybe I associate the smell cloves with toothache!)

Vroom, vroom!
Quick shave this evening...and tried P&B Albion...
  • Prep: Glyce soap wash followed by GFT West Indian Lime Skin Food
  • Soap + Brush: Phoenix & Beau Albion applied with Duke 3 Best
  • Razor: EJDE89 + Braveheart handle (Nod to Exec Shaving company for the Braveheart...I find the head a little too aggressive - good though and obviously one man's aggressive is another man's mild - but the handle provides superb grip in wet hands and therefore control)
  • Post-shave: Marks & Spencer Woodspice Gentleman Burgundy splash followed by the matching balm. M&S Woodspice (in the green bottle) always brings back good memories for me, and the Burgundy is just as good but a little less 'obvious'.
Really comfortable shave and Phoenix & Beau soap comes though as a winner yet again (NO, I do not work for them!)
Albion feels much 'warmer' than Denali...I'd be inclined to use it for colder days, maybe with a musky or olde barbershop AS like Floid Original or Amber; while the Denali is perfect for hot weather with cooler AS like Alcolado Glacial or Proraso Green.

shave.jpg

Back
Top Bottom