S.O.T.D Sat. 9th Nov. to Frid.15th Nov. 2013

Warm shower
Proraso pre, menthol
New Forest 1901, Nanny's hard soap (Cedarwood & Vetyver)
Feather AS-D2, Rapira Swedish (2)
Cold splash
Clinique post-shave soother
Gucci Guilty Intense EDT

The AS-D2 is still technically up for sale, but gave an excellent shave today. My only complaint is that I prefer the Progress and would buy the Digress if I sold it. May not apply to anyone else's face, but if you like a shave every day, but don't actually need a shave every day... the AS-D2 is yer man!

I'm also coming round to the view that maybe I should offload all my blades and just stick with the Rapira Swedish... got some other excellent blades, but this one just nudges ahead for me.

Luckily... I can't get enough of different soaps and brushes... so still plenty of stuff to buy.

Prep: Hot water rinse
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap "Down Home Summer"
Brush: New Forest 2213 Silvertip
Razor: iKon OSS
Blade: Rapira (3)
Post: Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, followed by Village Barber Balm

First time using the iKon OSS. It's a very different razor and will take some getting used to. When you've got the right angle the steel head "sings".
Also a first, used distilled water to build the lather and it exploded out of the tin. Very thick/yogurt-y lather. This silvertip holds a LOT of water, even after ringing it out.

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: Valobra stick (grated)
Brush: Golden Nib 2-band badger knot / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (2)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

I had such a great shave yesterday I decided to use the same formula today. Bingo... effortless BBS!

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Treet Platinum
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
Aftershave: Captains Choice Lime
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser

Treet Platinuim was my first bulk purchase and the first blade I was really happy with. It gave me a close and comfortable shave.
By some reason unknown to me, I have not visited this blade since. So it was with eager anticipation that I plucked one out of my storage box.
The first thing I noticed was how much my perception of a blade has changed. Maybe I have been spoiled by great blades like the NOS Polsilver, the black Gillette 7 o'clock , the Gillette Silver Blue and to a certain degree Feather.
Maybe my technique has improved/changed or perhaps it was a combination of all of these factors.
No matter the reason, but this time it felt like any other blade performing at the middle of the scale. It gave me a half a dozen small cuts on my neck and a middle of the road shave.

The Proraso red soap has always "treated me well, and today was no exception. Using Marco's Method and the Semogue 1305 brush whipped up an obscene amount of quality lather.

The highlight of the shave was using a sample of the Captain's Choice Lime aftershave for the first time. It gave me a delightful sting and smelled wonderful. It reminded me of the Lighthouse scent from Fitjarsoap, but with a more pronounced lime smell to it. That lime scent reminded me of a Tequila drink. For a Friday night shave, that was very fitting and brought back a lot of interesting memories 

My favourite Captain's Choice aftershave and I will probably invest in a full bottle

The highlight of the shave was using a sample of the Captain's Choice Lime aftershave for the first time. It gave me a delightful sting and smelled wonderful. It reminded me of the Lighthouse scent from Fitjarsoap, but with a more pronounced lime smell to it. That lime scent reminded me of a Tequila drink. For a Friday night shave, that was very fitting and brought back a lot of interesting memories 
My favourite Captain's Choice aftershave and I will probably invest in a full bottle sometime in the near future

08112013_zpsf99fd63b.jpg

Saturday morning

Clinique soap
Ej de86
Trig
Omega 80080
Tobs avocado
Clinique happy as

Nice shave. The omega brush has really gone nice and soft and is a joy to use. Absolute bargain at the price

Saturday morning

Titan / Kronos H1
Personna Red (3) Polsilver SI (1)
Tubby 2
Godrej shaving round
Speick AS
CK Eternity EDT
Castle Forbes Lime Balm

Polsilver for the final pass as the personna was past its best

BBS results

isaiah53 said:
pjgh said:
Gah! This is doing me in … I wanna shave … but it's too soon. Or, is it? I have a slant, I've been drinking … will there be blood? Just a WTG won't hurt … will it?

sit tight :D

drink and sharp things dont mix.

Noted …

… so, I picked a SuperMax Blue Diamond, a blade I really clicked with early on for being smooth. Not necessarily sharp, but smooth. I could shave with it and not really feel it. Since then, I've discovered sharp Russians … which I love, but I have 100 of these fellows and they're going to get used.

They're smooth …

I have the Merkur slant lend in my possession at the moment and I am curious as to what a simple daily shave with one with the grain pass might feel like. I noted that I thought it would work out well, but here's the proof.

It did ...

Not a fantastic shave, but good. Not great. Good.

Yes, slightly liquored up it might have been a seriously daft thing to do … well, it was, but I survived.

IMG_3971.JPG

Hot Towels
Nanny's Silly Soap Ice & Slice
Pure Badger Brush
Merkur 37C HD Slant
SuperMax Blue Diamond
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Witch Hazel/Olbas Oil Toner
Brut Green Aftershave

… the one standout product here is the NSS Ice & Slice. Cool, refreshing, healing and olive oil based. What a soap! Practically a post-shave treatment, too, just letting the cooling lather sit on my face.

Yeah, it worked out well and I got away with it. No weepers, no cuts, no issues.

One "with the grain" pass to strim off a day's growth. It feels nice. Not great, nice.

After my first run with this razor, I mused that it might make a great daily shaver with one single and simple pass for a decent cut.

It does ...

Eloquent enough? I think I can string a sentence :D

Ha! So, this razor is quite capable of a mild daily shave with one pass as well as a seriously good two pass (with polishing) for that perfect baby face. Gotta respect it!

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 30mm Simpson CHUBBY 2 Best Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Arabian Spice Shaving Soap, Chelsea's Soap Garden - Natural Handmade Soap
RAZOR: 7/8" J.A. Henckels Friodur, stainless steel, square point, w/Worked back and White Ebony scales
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Extract of Limes Skin Food
RESULT: Great shave

SODT_FRIODUR2_B_zpse45eef14.jpg

Have a nice week,
Béla​

Prep: Musgo glycerin soap
Soap/cream: Stirling Anise
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (1961)
Blade: Gillette black
Brush: Kent H8
Bowl: Steve Woodhead bespoke
Post shave: Trumpers Limes Skinfood
After shave: Trumpers Extract of West Indian Limes

[attachment=8889]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384076376.487018.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384076376.487018.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 15
Prep: Shower
Soap: King of Shave Mild Gel
Brush: Wilkinsons Sword Best Bristle
Razor: (the good bit) my 'new' Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Derby
Aftershave: Cold water

Thought I'd post on my first shave with my birthyear slim :)

Loaded a new Derby as that's been the blade I've been most comfortable with for the past few weeks while learning my new skill with the gillette slim twist.

I then set the razor to number 1 and promptly removed a layer of lather from my face, and chuff all else! Right, upwars on onwards to number 5, let's see what that achieves? At setting 5, with the Derby, it felt very much like the shave I get from the slim twist, only with more control on the razor due to the feel of the metal handle, oddly the shorter handle also seemed to help.

Having done my three passes with the razor on number 5 I did the rub test and found one or two spots with a little bristle left, so went up to 6 and 'polished' over those areas, one pass against the grain and they were as smooth as a baby's bum, lovely.

I'm not sure if this razor will replace the slim twist as my daily shave just yet, I'd like to find the perfect blade for it, and I don't think the Derby is that blade, due to the risk of nicks and me not wanting to show up at work covered in minor cuts I'll keep experimentation to the weekend for now.

Back
Top Bottom