S.O.T.D Sat. 9th Nov. to Frid.15th Nov. 2013

harrygr said:
Bechet45 said:
What is the connection between straight razor shaving and good photography?

For straight razor shavers, a straight razor as an object is a kind of fetish.
Passion to the theme is the key to a good photograph.

Surely you mean.. if you're passionate about the theme then it can help make for a more interesting photo? I assuming you're talking about the viewer, or are you speaking from the photographers perspective?

I honestly never stop and get caught up in the technical brilliance of the photos here... I'm more interested in the content, although I do appreciate the effort people go to. I love the guy who photographs from what looks like his bathroom window sill... so simple, uncomplicated and honest photos (edit -> 782sirbrian is the guy), have an almost Martin Parr commonness to them.

Sounds like a debate for a photography thread.

A handful of my photos, mainly taken on film (35mm, Medium Format & Large Format) & the odd digital include -> http://500px.com/nfl-fan

barlines said:
pjgh said:
barlines said:
Not one of my better efforts :icon_neutral:

… although your pictures are always very appealing.

What do you use as your 'infinity curve'? The thing you frame your picture against?

It's a piece of black card from staples held with bulldog clips, not very high tech and its getting a bit battered now. I keep meaning to get a white one.

Hows my home town doing?

Cheers! Neat tip. Yeah, 'fax is still a fine place :D

Jpshaver said:
My Maine coon 12 week old kitten arrives Tuesday. Thanks for the random assaults heads up :)

He didn't mean it - just plopped his big daft paw on my face. Sore today. Grim.

Thursday xiv November, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Kiehl's Face Wash
Pre: Proraso White Pre
Brush: Invisible Edge Buffalo Horn Silvertip
Cream: Shulton Old Spice Original
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: English NOS Wilkinson Sword
Post: Home brewed Lemon Tea Tree Mentholated WH, Zirh Post Shave Solution

Result: Now that was better. Very nice, close, smooth, irritation free shave this morning.

Have a good day.

Jon

Thursday:

Morning, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock yellow (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Erasmic
A/S: Cien Men - Ebony
Cologne: Kiehl's Original Musk

Top-notch shave: got an accidental BBS. Although I miss the scent of the old Erasmic cream, the performance of the new version is still cracking.

jb74 said:
harrygr said:
Bechet45 said:
What is the connection between straight razor shaving and good photography?

Surely you mean.. if you're passionate about the theme then it can help make for a more interesting photo? I assuming you're talking about the viewer, or are you speaking from the photographers perspective?

I honestly never stop and get caught up in the technical brilliance of the photos here... I'm more interested in the content, although I do appreciate the effort people go to. I love the guy who photographs from what looks like his bathroom window sill... so simple, uncomplicated and honest photos (edit -> 782sirbrian is the guy), have an almost Martin Parr commonness to them.

Sounds like a debate for a photography thread.

A handful of my photos, mainly taken on film (35mm, Medium Format & Large Format) & the odd digital include -> http://500px.com/nfl-fan

Thanks ! I'm no artist with a camera like some here, more a numpty really :blush: still I get the theme of my shave over for people to look at.

Prep: Village Barber Oil
Soap: Proraso green
Razor : Weber DLC/ UFO Red Bronze Goliath XL
Brush: NF Tubby 1

Lovely lovely shave. Proraso just could easily be my only soap.

Thursday

Kent T4
Castle Forbes Lavender
Filly DT 13 in white
Weleda After Shave Balm
Molinard Teck EdT

A very smooth and relaxing shave today.

pre shave shower
gillette executive
gillette swede (6)
ingrams shave cream
Isana boar brush
alcolado glacial
lemon witch hazel

enjoyable icy shave - 3 passes with 2 rounds of buffing leaving me fresh and smooooth. i've been a bit stingy with the ingrams on previous shaves so i overloaded the bowl and was rewarded with enough lather for 7 passes. great stuff - i wonder why there isn't more of a buzz about this stuff here ;)

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Carl I personally have always approached a SOTD photo the same way I would photograph a still life when I was a young Art student many moons ago, It very well could be a beautiful display of fruit or a lovely vase of flowers, three things I always try a convey, 1 a well thought out composition 2 good lighting 3 and as I always shoot on manual settings get to know your camera and know exactly what it can do.

Well today's is very possibly your best to date, Jamie! I love it, could almost live with it on the wall, as it were.

harrygr said:

Well done for passion in B&W! Love your shot, too - greatly.

Wednesday evening

Clinique soap
Ikon OC Deluxe
Bic chrome platinum
Simpsons Chubby 2
MWF
Clinique post-shave soother

Same setup as the previous night which hadn't gone well and it was even worse this time. really struggled to get any semblance of quality lather with the chubby/MWF combo and instead of ditching it and using something else I persisted and I'm still in pain this morning. Dreadful rawness on my cheeks and still not nice this morning.

Previously when I've got frustrated I've dumped what I'm using and reach for the Proraso. But something annoyed me last night and I just got on with it. Feeling the pain this morning.

Not sure why I'm struggling with this combo or if I'll even bother to try them out together again.

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: Valobra stick (grated)
Brush: Golden Nib 2-band badger knot / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black/Indian (3)
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

A tip for all those who just bought Weleda ASB (at a fabulous price): you only need to apply very little. A 5-pence piece worth is plenty unless you like your skin over-moisturised and sticky. A bottle lasts me forever!

Thursday 11-14-13. MUSIC: Neil Young - Harvest (1972).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jeb_D08XA[/video]

489aa469-053c-4fb9-a68b-354e82b4fb63_zps219cd30b.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger 25X53 - Feather all stainless - Astra green #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Gibbs Nº53 - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Myrsol Emulsión - ASL Myrsol Antesol.

P160
Vulfix Bodger
Sensor Excel
Barbershop Bay Rum

Mainly been using the Sensor of late on account of needing to have some speedy shaves. Back to DE when this carts done for.

Back
Top Bottom