S.O.T.D Sat. 30th Nov. to Frid. 6th Dec. 2013

Gillette Tech / UFO
Polsilver Stainless (3)
Semogue 1438 boar
Vitos Extra Super Coconut
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Frederic Malle Noir Epices

And so continues the break in of this 1438. It eats soap and I got plenty of lather for 3 passes plus touch up. There's something satisfying about a boar brush. A very reasonable shave from this Tech too - a midweek change of pace from getting to know my #16 better.

Prep: A wash

Soap: Proraso Green - face lathered

Brush: Simpson Commodore X3 best

Razor: Weber shiny/ikon bulldog

Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)

2nd shave with the weber - tried it with the Ikon handle as it's just a fraction bigger. Exceedingly good shave.

DEcember Champions
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: Tabac
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Bowl: Woodhead Large Tall Scuttle
Razor: Weber + Bulldog
Blade: Astra SP (2)
After: Barbershop Bay Rum, Coral Skin Food

All my best performers joined forces today to deliver a champion shave. Say no more.

SOTD20131205_zpsc5d89ac3.jpg

Thursday:

Morning, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Sodial/Junjie
Blade: Rapira (5)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg
Aftershave: M&S Woodspice

A quality shave. Like the smell of the Woodspice.

Greetings

Thursday 5th December 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick L1 Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue SE 2012 mixed
Soap: Wilkinson Sword Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Regards
Dick.

DSC04968.JPG

I'm giving my face a break and a treat at the end of the week with a Muhle R41/Feather planned.

I do get a patch on my neck/throat that looks untidy when I do this and usually just whisk it off dry but I decided to try out a new PSO and razor; this one: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23183.html

Hot Towel
Edwin Jagger PSO
NSS Ice & Slice
Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Edwin Jagger Straight
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Turtle Bay Rum Aftershave

The razor is on Neil's avoid list. Nevertheless, a patch of fine hair on my hand and a patch of tough hair on my leg proved perfectly smooth with one pass, so ... on with it ...

The EJ PSO is very nice. Mentholated, slick and the subsequent lather went on very nicely indeed, already with a lovely glossy sheen, applied seemed to take on a real whipped cream look. I'd be interested to try again using just the NSS with a proto-lather - I think it's oily enough to work out for both pre-shave and the shave itself. I should also check out the EJ PSO as a post-shave - just a dot massaged into a cold, wet face.

The brush is a Best Badger. My entire experience of brushes is a synthetic Wilkinson Sword, which does its thing, but it's nowhere near a badger; and, a Pure Badger, unbranded, but a "large" size. This Edwin Jagger Best Badger is a Medium - 21mm loft, 23mm handle. It felt tall compared to my Pure Badger, although they're the same height-ish. I think the narrower core gave that apparently height. It lathered well, not especially better than my Pure Badger, but certainly no worse. It's one I'll keep on with since it's pretty much unused and perhaps needs a few good lathering sessions to really find its character. So, three brushes now ... am I succumbing?

The razor did its thing in one pass, leaving the intended area smooth, without issue and so, tidied up, I rinsed and applied the alum ... just to see. Nothing overly prickly, so I think that went well. Whether the blade is competent for a whole face and whether that edge can be maintained is another question entirely.

I have a collection of Bay Rum samples from a kind gent here, so decided to try one out: Turtle Bay Rum. Much enjoyed, with an initial blast of the Caribbean, it certainly is a scent which develops over it's albeit short life - after an hour it had a really mellow feeling and another hour, or so, it was gone ... to my nose.

So, happy with that ... I got to try a few new things and got away with it, if you like. Fun ... like it should be. Cheers, all!

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013

148268d1386236957-sun-december-01th-sat-december-07th-sotd-04122013.jpg

On the Go: Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl 6/8

• Pre-shave: Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
  • Soap: Proraso Shave Soap White Tub
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush #83
  • Bowl: Gerby Steel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Dovo 2Bismarck Pearl, 6/8 Full Hollow, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine After Shave

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Supermax Titanium
Simpson B1 Beaufort Butterscotch
Supermax Shaving cream
Proraso Green A/S
Tom Ford Italian Cypress

Done.

Wednesday evening

Merkur Progress on 3
Lord Super
Simpsons chubby 2
Prep shaving soap
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Ok shave but the Lord, on it's 3rd shave, was at the end of it's life and just about got away with it.

Realy enjoying the Prep soap, not mentioned much around here but it has a nice lather a nice menthol feel which isn't quite as aggressive as Ingrams. Smells like Vicks vaporub though but a good shave with this.

As much as I love the build, finish and overall feel in the hand of the Chubby I still remain unconvinced about it. It really needs a lot of product and out of my 4 badgers it's pretty much trailing behind the other 3. I'm sure at some point it'll give me that wow moment.

Thursday

Gillette #58
Personna Lab Blue
Hand-carved Dark Beechwood with 24mm TGN 2-band Finest
Ingram's
Barbershop Bay Rum
Home-made Post Shave Oil with Eucalyptus
Blue Stratos EdT

Last time I used the #58 was with a Big Ben blade which was pretty poor. The Lab Blue was a night and day difference that resulted in a first class shave. The post shave oil extends the coolness of the Ingram's and just a few drops leaves my skin feeling silky soft and well nourished.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
Simpson Colonel X2L, Nanny's soft soap, Tea Tree & Aloe Vera
Digress HD (#3; #2.5), Personna Lab Blue (1)
Cold splash
Proraso AS cream

A magnificent shave... only marred by a cut on my cheek (left upper). Don't know how I managed this... but I managed the same thing in almost the same spot about a month ago and the scar has only just about healed. I think the skin there is a bit...erm.. baggy (or pliable) and the razor gets caught in a fold if I don't pay enough attention... tend to stretch the skin everwhere else, this was just a quick swipe and... ouch!

A bit of palm-stropping has turned the Lab Blue from excellent blade to an "excellent plus". The first shave nickiness has gone (apart from the stupid cut, obviously)

Muhle 2013' R41 / iKon Bulldog Handle
Feather
Barrister & Mann Hallows Shaving Soap
Stephen's Woodwork Silvertip (SRD)
Every Man Jack Post Shave Balm (Signature Mint)
Bowling Green After Shave (Geoffrey Beane)
Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle

Thursday 12-05-13. MUSIC: Chet Baker - Best Of Chet Baker.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ynn3mzC2E4[/video]

Afeitado_2013-12-05_zps7565d61e.jpg

Soap from Alepo - Chubby 1 best badger - Gillette Fat Boy - Gillette Platinum #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mitchell's Woll Fat - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Health & Aloe BIO - ASL Pinaud Vanilla.

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber Polished / Bulldog
Blade: Sputnik (3)
EdT: D R Harris Windsor

Excellent, close shave :)

Back
Top Bottom