Prep: Hot Wash
Pre: Proraso Pre shave Cream
Soap: Arko
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Supermax Super Platinum
AS: Boots Freshwood AS Balm
EDt: Sex Pistols

Good results as expected, finding it really hard not to shave my top lip!!

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (2)
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest
Soap: Mike's Natural Soap - Barbershop
Aftershave: Lucido
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Lighthouse Aftershave Balm

Lathering up the famous Barbershop scented soap from Mr. Mike, using the equally famed Marco's Method was a wonderful treat. I had enough lather to shave a Wookie.
Now this being a thirsty soap, I have to admit that I did not fuel it enough for the first pass. But a pint of water later it was as good as perfect lather can be.

The Lucido splash was once again my choice for the evening, and this time it smelled like Fisherman's Friend.

I wanted to finish my shave with something nice smelling and applied some Lighthouse aftershave balm from Fitjarsoap instead of my usual moisturiser.

ShavelogNovember201370_zpsd54cc0f4.jpg

Gillette New LC
Gillette 7oc Green (1)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Stirling Anise soap
Alum, witch hazel

Frederic Malle Dries van Noten

An exceptionally odd shave today; I've never experienced a shave quite like it. It genuinely did feel as though is forgotten to load a blade into the razor, the shave was so mild and smooth. But it didn't get anywhere near as close a shave as I usually aim for. I can't rationalise what happened though because I'd pulled the classic trick of changing too many variables at once!

Gents, I'm in love …

She's got a stout little body and one crazy head! I'm one for the French sounding ladies … Gillettes, but today, letting this German lady caress my face, I found myself in love.

She's called Slant, from the Merkur family. Nicknamed, HD.

Oh, boy! What a shave! She's not the mad cat of reputation, that is most undeserved. She is slick, slice, quick and clean. I let her go with a third run Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) and she did her thing. Do not look at her while she does … she will make your eyes swim. Let her run by feel …

IMG_3865.JPG

Joni Mitchell 'Blue' LP on the turntable
G&T - Greenall's & Fever Tree

Bath
Nuage Men PSO
Nanny's Silly Soap Ice & Slice
Pure Badger Brush
Merkur 37C HD Slant
Sputnik Stainless (Teflon) [3]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Witch Hazel/Menthol Tonic
Blue Stratos Aftershave Lotion

WTG, XTG and very localised (and slow) polishing of peculiar areas

Wow! What a shave …

G&T and menthol was the theme, blue the colour.

Oh, I already said that! Once with the grain over two days of growth, I'm left in a similar position to a with and cross the grain shave. This slant does work - it does do that. I tend to run with twice with, then cross, then polish … I would say this got me all the way there in one pass, just polishing to go.

I'm so glad I carried on with the Sputnik - it's smooth and sharp, sharp and smooth, practically silent, still … even after three runs. Damn fine blade!

I got one weeper on my lip, polishing. It stopped and healed up while I was finishing off. Alum wash proved no further nicks and proved a seriously smooth shave, my hand proved a close shave. Gosh! That is one great razor. I have that kind of skin that can cope with a quick sharp shave or a multiple pass with a very smooth blade. I have a few peculiar areas that like some localised attention at the end, but I know where they are and can get to them without issue.

I can see myself buying this razor, in the HD format … soon. I love long handles, but this short handle performed so absolutely perfectly that I don't even want to try a longer handled version. I can see that two pass being such a great every other day shave and a single once over being a phenomenal daily swipe. I might even pluck up the courage for a morning shave!

The Merkur 37C HD is a game changer!

Keep forgetting to post here! Anyway:

Wednesday, 6th November 2013

Gillette Rocket HD
Rapira Super Stainless
Vulfix Bodger
Ingrams
Blue Stratos AS
Astral
Blue Stratos EdT

Best shave of the last 10 days or so and unusually I've been shaving everyday, mostly without the usual Jagger. Some good, some not so good but I've not been giving in to rest day temptation. Perseverance pays dividends and at last I'm connecting with vintage razors.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
Gillette #58/Super Iridium
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT (gone in 10 minutes)

Noticed another member using his #58 the last couple days and seeing that musta started my very own Limey monkey squawking for a bath. Yep, got the rhodium plated beauty outta the arsenal this morning and went to shaving. Actually.....it might even be nickel....can't remember and too lazy to look it up. Shines bright in any case.

I believe I traded a razor that didn't fit me for this piece that does. Worked out well for both parties. The forum member loved my razor....go figure.

This is one of the better fixed head razors when it comes to comfort and providing a very nice shave. Plus it's a handsome looking razor annd even though it's on the light side, still feels good in my hand. Nice knurling and balance.

BBS results,

Martin

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Am in the throes of a right stinker of a cawd and had to force myself to shave last night. Squirted some flu defence gubbins up my nostrils tonight and felt a bit better so:

Prep: Warm rinse & Prep cream massaged into beard
Razor: Feather AC Kamisori with teak scales
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Semogue 2012 LE
Soap: Tabac stick - face lathered

Think this blade is nearing the end of it's life but I bet I've had well over twenty shaves with it.

Nice finish tonight, with one small weeper on the upper lip where I slipped. Am still evaluating whether I prefer this or the Kai Captain Excelia. Nice to have the choice I suppose.

Prep: Hot shower, followed by Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Stirling Soap "Bonaparte"
Brush: New Forest 2213 Silvertip
Razor: E&J DE89 Chatsworth
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)

First time using the Perma-Sharp blade (Thanks Al H!). Not as sharp as other blades I've tried but very smooth.

Thursday morning:
C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna, No 31 5/8"
Omega 98
Dimitri's, home made tallow based soap (lot 150813)
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
L'Occitan by L'Occitane ASB
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a nice day!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-7-11-2013-1.JPG

Thursday

Proraso Sandalwood cream
Semogue 2012 SE
Muhle R89
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Professor Blighty's Green Ginger AS

Great results, still having to remind myself not to shave my top lip.

Filarmonica Especial 14 full hollow 8/8
Kanayama cordovan #8000
Rooney Heritage stubby 2
Mondial bergamot & neroli
Witch hazel
L'Occitane Baux balm
L'Occitane Ambre & Santal EDT

I cannot overly praise this razor and what a shaver, she looks as good as she shaves.

Thursday, 7th November 2013

Gillette TV Rocket
Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack
Omega 10065
Ingrams
Blue Stratos AS
Astral
Blue Stratos EdT

First time with this blade and it seemed fine but overall, the shave was not quite as good as yesterday. Still feels pretty good though.

Thurssday:

Morning, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Erasmic
A/S: Ricardo Sport, Black
Cologne: Versace Black Jeans

Good no-nonsense shave.

Back
Top Bottom