S.O.T.D Sat. 2nd Nov. to Frid.8th Nov. 2013

I read on the grapevine that Paul at Connaught Shaving will have the new scented Valobra pucks available from next week (ish). Might be an option?
[/quote]

these ones...?

http://www.valobra.com/shavingsoap.htm

im quite tempted by these too :)
[/quote]

Man, if there's one thing I don't need it's more damn soap. Sigh.......yes I had seen that the Valobra was coming out soon and I would bet it's gonna be as good as the #88 and the old formula AOS and the currently made stick. Sheeeeesh, I may get a puck.

Martin

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (3)
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest
Cream: Aqua di Parma
Aftershave: D.R Harris Arlington
Moisturiser: Fitjarsoap Shea Butter Moisturiser

Yesterday I received a sample of the Aqua di Parma shaving cream, so naturally I just had to shave with it today. I do not know much about it, but from what I can remember from various forum postings it is supposed to be a great product.
I found it to be rather boring. Did not smell of anything, the lather was mediocre and my shave likewise.
The black Gillette blade felt dull and inefficient and did not shave particularly close. After three and a half pass I did not manage anything better than a CCS.
Granted the blade was on its third shave in a less than aggressive razor, but I had not expected it to lose its edge so soon.
As always I will have to give the cream a second chance before making up my mind.
But I was not impressed.

The aftershave from D.R Harris was very nice, and a refreshing end to an average shave.

07112013_zps15bfb5e4.jpg

Friday viii November, 2013

Prep: Ortigia Sandalo Glycerin soap
Pre: Proraso White Pre
Brush: Invisible Edge Extra Silvertip Buffalo Horn
Cream: Shulton Old Spice
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: Personna Med Prep #2
Post: Home brewed Lemon tea tree mentholated WH, Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus ASB
Fragrance: Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Result: The Proraso Red is dead, long live the Old Spice. Very nice shave, but this brush is a cream glutton, my how it eats it! DDFS.

All the best Gents,

Jon

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: Valobra stick (grated)
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber Polished/Bulldog
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

First time with Perma-Sharp (thank you, Steve) and Valobra, both of which I found to perform admirably. Finished off with Clinique Post-Shave Healer, quite possibly my favourite post-shave treatment, and a spritz of Opus 1870. Feeling rather smug ;)

My first DE shave after a couple of weeks off (shaving with an electric)... more details in the "losing my mojo" thread.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
Simpson Colonel X2L, Proraso cream, menthol
Merkur Progress (#2), Rapira Swedish (1)
Cold splash
Clinique post-shave soother

Wonderful shave and really enjoyed it after a bit of an absence. Lovely double menthol blast from the Proraso. Tempted just to stick to the good ol' Progress from now on (or maybe a Digress???)

Friday 11-08-13. MUSIC: Johnny Winter - Second Winter.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4u9fyWQC0[/video]

191a983c-6a8b-43cc-9c51-3b318e80b23a_zps5d00e4cc.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger 25X53 - Feather all stainless - Israeli Personna #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mitchell's Wool Fat - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB JASÖN - ASL Opaline.

Thursday evening

Clinique soap
Merkur Progress XL
Bic Platlinum Chrome
Kent BLK12
Prep shaving soap
Adidas Ice Dive AS

Great shave. Perfect in every way. I am loving these Bic blades and Prep soap. Excellent shave

Friday 8th November

Brush: Vulfix Bodger
Cream: RSC Shave2 Cream- suribachi lathered
Razor: templ8 handle, EJ Head
Blade: Lord Platinum Class (2)- single shim

Slow and steady shave. I took it very carefully with the lightest of feather touches due to irritation and soreness I've had lately. That's all it took, and I had a fantastic shave. The RSC cream was as dependable as ever, with a thick, creamy, protective lather. I must have got complacent in the past and been too careless and heavy handed with this weighty razor.

Great shave. Gillette New LC after the next shave.

Friday, November 8th, 2013

Friday, November 8th, 2013

145806d1383920724-sun-november-03rd-sat-november-09th-sotd-08112013.jpg

The Italian Shave

• Pre-shave: Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
  • Soap: Proraso Green Tub Shave Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silver Tip Badger Brush with Madagascar Ebony Handle
  • Bowl: Old Italian Barber Brass Nickel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Double Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Blue After Shave

Holiday shave

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: T & H no. 10 cream
Brush: MÜHLE HJM synthetic
Bowl: Collapsible dog bowl
Razor: Progress @2.5, 2, 2
Blade: Sputnik (2)
After: Aqua Velva musk AS, Nivea ASB

In Canada at the mo. so using my travel kit. I had been using Tabac stick up to today which has been excellent as usual. Today broke out the T&H cream. No probs with this gear, almost BBS result.

You know at Shoppers Drug Mart (big version of Superdrug) you can get Proraso soap & pre-shave cream, Aqua Velva AS and a couple of Omega brushes. Magic.

20131108_091807_zps43ed26e1.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Macys badger (has the date 1964 on the bottom)
Gillette #58/Personna Super Stainless (NOS)
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Came to the conclusion I do like the Xpec scent. Heh, took me lots of uses to finally figure that out. Yeah, it's good.......much better than the C&E #88 scent it's been compared to. The stuff got me using a few creams somewhat often again after years of hardly ever getting em outta the arsenal.

Nice second shave with this old blade from I'm guessing late 60s (no bar code). The razor is an enjoyable change of pace and two shaves in a row will be plenty I think. See what calls to me in the morning.

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom