S.O.T.D. Sat. 1st Feb 2014 to Frid. 7th Feb. 2014

Prep: Sauna
Brush: Simpson, Polo 8
Razor: Tim Zowada
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Myrsol: Formula C
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

Lovely shave with an excellent blade, cuts through heavy stubble like nothing :D

Sunday

Morning, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Sodial/Rimei
Blade: Gillette "Swede" (1)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Kell's Hemp and Aloe, Ancient Sedona
Aftershave: Old Spice
Cologne: L'Air du Desert Marocain

Very close and smooth result. There was a bit of redness under the jaw but that's disappeared now. A nice, Sunday shave.

Soap: Klar Kabinett
Brush: Morris & Forndran 2-band "Blonde Badger", Style-1/3
Razor: ATT R2 OC plate with Templ8 custom handle
Blade: Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum (1)
Post: Osma alum block, then Thayer's Lavender witch hazel
AS: Captain's Choice Lime, followed by Proraso balm

I tried face-lathering today. This M&F brush is a soap destroyer! KK lathered really quickly with no special prep other than a quick brush dip and shake. Added a few drops of water after the initial scrub and boom! Tons of slick cushiony lather.
Tried the ATT R2 plate again. I really want to like this razor but for me it's really hard work getting an irritation-free BBS. The R2 plate is right at the very limit of my facial endurance and approach angle is critical.
Had to use the alum block & WH & balm to cool down the razor burn. This is what I get for skipping my normal prep (Village Barber oil).

MRGLo soap.
Tabac shaving soap stick.
Muhle R89 razor with Personna red #3.
Kent BK2 shaving brush.
Tabac ASB.
Tabac EDT.

Nice Tabac shave today, and used the EDT For a change from the EDC.

Today, a sunday full JF shave!

Pre Jason therapy + Floris JF shaving soap + Simpson Nº59 Best + Weber Bulldog ARC with Iridium Super + Floris JF after-shave lotion and EDT

This is one of my favourties range. Although the shaving soap hasn't remarkable propierties (it needs a good pre shave), the aftershave lotion is wonderful.

Cheers!

Greetings

Sunday 2nd February 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick I1 Injector
Blade: Gillette Platinum-Plus NOS
Brush: Omega 39 Boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Aftershave: Floid Balm

Regards
Dick.

DSC05189.JPG

Sunday

A full on menthol shave this morning

LEA Menthol cream
Semogue 2012 SE
Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Proraso AS
Fitjar Folgefonn ASB

That's just what the doctor ordered to clear a slightly fuzzy head. Clean shaven and ready for the day!

Sunday, February 2nd, 2014

Sunday, February 2nd, 2014

154959d1391347365-sun-february-02nd-sat-february-08th-sotd-02022014.jpg

Back to My Mastro Livi Origin

• Pre-shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Saponeria Artigiana Vegetable Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Badger Brush #63167
  • Bowl: Supercheap Chinese Steel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Damasteel, 7/8 Full Hollow, Mastro Livi Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Black Aftershave

Saturday Night

SOTD%252001-02-2014%2520Rolled.jpg

T&H Cleansing Scrub
Hot Towels
T&H Pre-Shave Skin Protector
Palmolive Stick
EJ Pure Badger 21mm
PAL Adjustable Injector
Personna Stainless Coated [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse, Alum Wash & Witch Hazel
Boots Bay Rum

Face Lathered
Multiple Passes - like a Harvester after too much cider!

When I first started shaving with injectors, I tried a couple of Schicks, a PAL Injectomatic and a Personna. I just couldn't get a tune out of any of them ...

After some perseverance and something "clicking" when I tried a Schick G I found that I was really getting to enjoy a shave with an injector, the notoriously divisive Personna, too.

This PAL is much like the Personna in shape and in use, similar, in that you really don't want to simply put the top of the head against your face and draw down, a là Schick, but use the bar to tension your skin and find that minute angle to do the business. The PAL works in quite the opposite way to the Schick Dial, which is about blade gap; the PAL more about blade reveal. So, while the Schick Dial will, upon dialling up the numbers, open up the gap between the blade and the bar vertically, the Schick goes from L to H and closes up the lateral gap between the bar and blade.

Schick: more gap = more aggressive.
PAL: more gap = less aggressive.

According to the instructions (which I found online), L and H equate to the "weight" of your beard. I was on two days growth so swung the lever around to H.

Well, after trying it this way, that way, changing the angle, changing the angle, changing the angle and changing the angle again, changing direction, washing off, starting again, huffing, trying again, I looked down into the sink and after running around my field like a Harvester drunk on too much scrumpy, I saw the merest hint of stubble in the water and a face like I'd gone at it with a blunt cartridge!

I finished off with my Merkur 23C and a SuperMax Blue Diamond blade, the most irritation-free combo I have in my collection. Soothed with a couple of helpings of Boots Bay Rum, off to bed.

Experience has taught me one thing ...

If you don't succeed at first, try again the morning after - something happens overnight, something happens to muscle adeptness and the following morning, things tend to have clicked. I learned to ride a bike this way, motorbike, too, car also. Let's see if it works for this PAL ...

... and so, the morning after the night before.

Sunday Morning

SOTD%252020140202%2520Original.jpg

Hot Towel
Palmolive Stick
Pure Badger 23mm
PAL Adjustable
Personna Stainless Coated [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse, Alum Wash & Witch Hazel
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Face Lathered
One Pass - WTG

PAL Adjustable left on H I made one pass with the grain to catch some of the overnight stubble. It worked. Not baby smooth, but perfectly acceptable to go to work. But it's Sunday! Yay! So, nice breakfast with some Bucks Fizz and out for a damn good walk! It's sunny, crisp and promises to be awesome!

Regarding "the Veg". There are two types of people: those who can wear Lilac Vegetal and those who cannot. I'm in the former camp - what a phenomenal experience! Cooling, then the burn, then the numb, then the flowers.

Cheers, all!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch rebranded Simpsons best
1958 Executive/Feather
Xpec SC
Myrsol Emulsion (gift from a favorite enabler.....thanks Good Doctor!)
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (black bottle)

Started out with a fresh Personna74 from a pack that I got a dud from a few months ago. Damned if this blade wasn't screwed up too. ... hadda toss it before the first pass ended. Weird deal......must be a bad batch. Switched right to an already in use Feather and a great shave resulted.

First time using the Myrsol and applied it after the shave. Heh, strangest stuff. Not unpleasant, but different from what I'm familiar with. Post shave skin care was fine. Somewhere between a thin balm and a liquid that soaked in rapidly without feeling greasy. I will use this for a while and see how it works out.

What was strange about it was my face felt both a little cool and a little warm. Now that was unusual. How do it do that?

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom