Royal Mail Rip Off Con Trick

Personally I find the mail is getting more expensive bit the service poorer. I had 4 items go missing through Royal Mail in the lead up to Christmas, but none from any other provider. More and more companies seem to be switching to other providers as well. Its a shame as I think it's important we continue to have a post service. Its hard to see how small businesses are going to be able to compete with the likes of Amazon and their contract postal pricing when they can sell and send an item for the same as it would cost the rest of us just to post it! Hopefully the worst fears about privatisation won't be realised but I wouldn't hold my breath on this either!

I've just been well and truly stuffed by this. I have been selling (a lot) on ebay the same item for the last couple of months. Item weighs 28g max and fits into a regular envelope which I was told by the post office guy would only need a 1st class stamp.
No problems until recently when I start to get emails saying wheres my item? so I then go to a different post office where they tell me its classed as a large letter 90p because the width is a couple mm over the 60p mark.

davep90 said:
I've just been well and truly stuffed by this. I have been selling (a lot) on ebay the same item for the last couple of months. Item weighs 28g max and fits into a regular envelope which I was told by the post office guy would only need a 1st class stamp.
No problems until recently when I start to get emails saying wheres my item? so I then go to a different post office where they tell me its classed as a large letter 90p because the width is a couple mm over the 60p mark.

I too have had some issues posting my 'Ebay' stuff. I have now started to use the online facility of printing out the postage label directly from the Ebay page. I also print out a certificate of posting sheet which is then stamped at the post office. Because it has an 'official' pre paid label, the post office are much more accepting of it, and all my £2.60 parcels (even if borderline) have arrived safely. Also, if/when asked what's in it,my response is ALWAYS 'a computer part'.

My mum took a parcel containing two items of clothing that I was returning to the Post Office on Thursday. £10 to post and all the refund I am to receive is £13. Total of items including shipping when purchased = £19.50 of which £6.50 was postage. So £29.50 spent and £13 refunded leaves me £16.50 out of pocket just because they didn't fit. I will be making very few online purchases from now on and only items where I am as near to certain as can be that everything will be just so when the goods are received. RM are almost holding us to ransom!

Gairdner said:
My mum took a parcel containing two items of clothing that I was returning to the Post Office on Thursday. £10 to post and all the refund I am to receive is £13. Total of items including shipping when purchased = £19.50 of which £6.50 was postage. So £29.50 spent and £13 refunded leaves me £16.50 out of pocket just because they didn't fit. I will be making very few online purchases from now on and only items where I am as near to certain as can be that everything will be just so when the goods are received. RM are almost holding us to ransom!

After discovering the free returns service for Amazon, I am going to be shopping from them A LOT more in future. The Locker delivery service is a bonus too.

After discovering the free returns service for Amazon, I am going to be shopping from them A LOT more in future. The Locker delivery service is a bonus too.
[/quote]

Hey my company deploys those Lockers

:)

Re: RE: Royal Mail Rip Off Con Trick

StephenShave said:
davep90 said:

I too have had some issues posting my 'Ebay' stuff. I have now started to use the online facility of printing out the postage label directly from the Ebay page. I also print out a certificate of posting sheet which is then stamped at the post office. Because it has an 'official' pre paid label, the post office are much more accepting of it, and all my £2.60 parcels (even if borderline) have arrived safely. Also, if/when asked what's in it,my response is ALWAYS 'a computer part'.

I have also found the post office more accepting of the preprinted labels (though I have also found it is sometimes cheaper to go through the royal mail website than eBay/PayPal as they give you more options). However the last couple of times my local post office have checked my packages weight and dimensions though luckily I'm a bit anal about these things and so haven't been caught out. Its also much easier than having to negotiate with the cashier the way you want to send the item (I say negotiate as they seem to decide what service you want before you even get to the counter). When asked what is inside I try to think of the most technical term possible to describe the item so it goes completely over their head! Before Christmas I was delivered a 99p free postage eBay item which cost me another £1.60 on delivery due to being a couple of grams overweight (0robably the weight of the stamp LOL)!

OK, so I'm going to bump this thread now with details of my recent joyful experience with the Royal Fail.

Ordered some fragrance samples from Germany. Dispatched fairly quick and go a confirmation email from the company. Turns out they are special delivery. Item arriving from Germany has a reference number as per UK items except that it ends in 'DE' instead of 'GB' (origin country).

Wasn't in on Thursday when they called, so arranged for a redelivery on Saturday. Four hours at home on Saturday, sat looking at the door like a lemon, but nothing came. Contacted them today by email (so that I have it in writing), as per the site's recommendation. The form fails to send and in the field that asked for the item reference number an error is shown. Apparently, the reference number is invalid and has to end in "GB".

What a bunch of muppets.

Anyone know if it's possible to issue legal proceedings against them, now that they are privatised?

I had a red card Friday for a razor from Germany went today in the snow to collect from sorting office. They can't find it they recon it went back out for delivery on sat and was delivered. I've not got it so I think that's one lost and I probably won't be able to claim

Just goes to show the service that one or two of us experience is not just an isolated incident. This is 'business as usual' for a company that serves the whole country.

Damn it, why don't they just shut down the whole company and put the contract out to tender. Maybe then a proper company can take over and actually offer a service that is workable. Muppets.

When it works it works well, when they muck something up they do it big time. The problem is they muck things up too often.

Another factor of the "service" in my opinion is the antiquated opening hours of Post Office Counters 9-5 is a joke along with late opening for training. My local Post Office even has a half day closing during the week, every week. With people working it's about time they lengthen hours, to provide a service where people can say go in to the Post Office on their way to work. No doubt the suggestion of offering a 21st Century service like this would result in a strike. But if we pay a premium price surely a premium service all around is what we should be offered.

Northam Saint said:
When it works it works well, when they muck something up they do it big time. The problem is they muck things up too often.

Another factor of the "service" in my opinion is the antiquated opening hours of Post Office Counters 9-5 is a joke along with late opening for training. My local Post Office even has a half day closing during the week, every week. With people working it's about time they lengthen hours, to provide a service where people can say go in to the Post Office on their way to work. No doubt the suggestion of offering a 21st Century service like this would result in a strike. But if we pay a premium price surely a premium service all around is what we should be offered.

My point exactly. I keep plugging the service offered by Amazon's return service, Collect+, which really has a better structure to it than the RoyalFail. I go to my local Londis, drop a parcel off, it gets scanned and that's it, I'm off.

It's a pity there is nothing to compete with the sending of standard letters (just paid 50p for a second class stamp for a normal size letter!). Realistically though, services like Collect+ should take off exponentially in the next few years among eBay sellers and hobbyists like us. Royal Fail simply do not deserve our loyalty any more. They have outlived their stay - hopefully the shareholders will now vent their anger at complaints and hopefully falling profits!! :icon_rolleyes:

I sent a package containing a set of coffee grinder burrs on the 27th of Jan, weighed and sorted out at the local post office, sent 1st class recorded, and the tracking site still says it is being progressed through their network for delivery, so it's anyones guess what's going on there.

Charliej said:
I sent a package containing a set of coffee grinder burrs on the 27th of Jan, weighed and sorted out at the local post office, sent 1st class recorded, and the tracking site still says it is being progressed through their network for delivery, so it's anyones guess what's going on there.

I've seen that happen before when the person has already received the item. Have you checked with the person you were sending too ? They don't always update their records.

Back
Top Bottom