Royal Mail Rip Off Con Trick

Bloody Yodel is the one to avoid. I have a parcel out for delivery today, email confirmed today, online confirms they have the parcel but it's sat in their Newton Abbott Service Depot. Tried to ring to ask if it will be today only to get bumped out by the automated call answering. Odd thing is a courier came today to collect another parcel and said it would probably be on another van !!! They recon they call upto 9.30 PM but I can't see them putting it out on a van today. Great ! Good Friday tomorrow and they don't deliver on Saturdays, Easter Monday so Tuesday at the earliest ! Crap company !

Well, what I've done now is to give the choice on my site of My Hermes or RM; MH is a bit cheaper for under 1KG, but significantly cheaper when you go over that. So far, no problems. MH is the default if you're in the UK, so that is the postage charge that shows until you come to check out. You then have the option to pay more for RM. I can see that RM is more attractive to people who are out in the day, and worry about having to go to a more far flung sorting office. I have had packages delivered at 7-8 pm by MH and on Saturdays. So I have yet to discover where my closest 'sorting office' is.
What I can say about reliability is that MH vs RM in the U.K. so far in my experience is generally fail safe. MH only operates in the UK; 99% of packages I've ever had go missing (or in one case arrive looking like someone had been playing football with it) have been abroad. Obviously MH only delivers in the U.K. so can't compare overseas. Once a parcel goes away, then it's in the hands of that countries postal service. So I guess RM can't be blamed for that......although they can be blamed for their sucky jump through numerous hoops so called insurance service.
I'll keep this under review, and let people know if there seem to be problems with MH - or indeed RM.

Re: RE: Royal Mail Rip Off Con Trick

soapalchemist said:
Well, what I've done now is to give the choice on my site of My Hermes or RM; MH is a bit cheaper for under 1KG, but significantly cheaper when you go over that. So far, no problems. MH is the default if you're in the UK, so that is the postage charge that shows until you come to check out. You then have the option to pay more for RM. I can see that RM is more attractive to people who are out in the day, and worry about having to go to a more far flung sorting office. I have had packages delivered at 7-8 pm by MH and on Saturdays. So I have yet to discover where my closest 'sorting office' is.
What I can say about reliability is that MH vs RM in the U.K. so far in my experience is generally fail safe. MH only operates in the UK; 99% of packages I've ever had go missing (or in one case arrive looking like someone had been playing football with it) have been abroad. Obviously MH only delivers in the U.K. so can't compare overseas. Once a parcel goes away, then it's in the hands of that countries postal service. So I guess RM can't be blamed for that......although they can be blamed for their sucky jump through numerous hoops so called insurance service.
I'll keep this under review, and let people know if there seem to be problems with MH - or indeed RM.

Have you had a look at collect+?

It works wonders for me, pay postage online and take to a local shop and they post.

For me the co-op is the closest and its open till say 8-9pm etc.

No messing about with cards or anything because they email you a number to give them or txt you and you just show this at counter and sign for it

Must say that I'm a huge fan of both Collect+ and My Hermes. The primary reason is that I can drop a parcel off at my local shop (a garage) which opens till midnight. So much better than having to queue in a Post Office with a line of pensioners all withdrawing their pension, and changing last years holiday dollars back in to sterling!! I'd almost pay more for that kind of convenience, never mind considerably less :icon_razz:

StephenShave said:
Must say that I'm a huge fan of both Collect+ and My Hermes. The primary reason is that I can drop a parcel off at my local shop (a garage) which opens till midnight. So much better than having to queue in a Post Office with a line of pensioners all withdrawing their pension, and changing last years holiday dollars back in to sterling!! I'd almost pay more for that kind of convenience, never mind considerably less :icon_razz:

On the odd occasion Ive needed a post office counter in the last couple of years, Ive been happier to see a few pensioners in front of me than either a hipster with a man bag full of packages all needing to be weighed and sent signed for, or particularly around my way, a newly arrived eastern European clutching a form that he needs explained to him.

I suppose it's a feeling of familiarity and security and other stuff that keeps the pensioners queuing at the PO. My sister did it for years in the belief that it was the only way to get the cash. She knew her pension was paid into her bank but had a 'special pension card' that only works at the PO. Turned out she had never used a Hole in the Wall ATM and didn't know how. That was all rectified by family members 'teaching' her and she drew her pension at various local supermarkets and High Street ATMs. So where does she go to draw her pension when she's alone? Thursdays at the PO! She flatly denies getting old.

I've had a look at Collect+, but they are further away from me, and pricier than MH and slower delivery times. So I'll continue with MH for the time being. Also, I prefer MH website, booking the parcel is more straight forward, and also you can drop the parcel at any shop, and don't have to specify which one. That is convenient for me, as if I don't have to go to the post office I can walk to nearest MH, if I do have to go to PO then I need to use a different MH shop near to there.

soapalchemist said:
I've had a look at Collect+, but they are further away from me, and pricier than MH and slower delivery times. So I'll continue with MH for the time being. Also, I prefer MH website, booking the parcel is more straight forward, and also you can drop the parcel at any shop, and don't have to specify which one. That is convenient for me, as if I don't have to go to the post office I can walk to nearest MH, if I do have to go to PO then I need to use a different MH shop near to there.

Just for the record, and as I'm a big Collect+ fan, you don't need to specify a shop before you 'buy' the delivery. Also, if it's coupled with an Ebay sale, it's a few clicks to buy & print out your address label... (Even if not linked to an Ebay sale, it's still only a few clicks to pay via PayPal & print)

So far so good with MH, as long as the customer who's order they left in the porch today has received his.:s They seem to get a signature if the person is in, even though I haven't paid for it, so that's good.

Just to mention, I said before it's cheaper for smaller orders. But if you're just buying a few samples from me, it's cheaper to select RM. Some have left it as MH, and I've taken an executive decision in each case and posted RM and refunded the difference. But that's another task I can do without.

Back
Top Bottom