Royal Mail Rip Off Con Trick

Today I packed a "Small Parcel" for posting. Popped down to the post office and was knocked cork legged when she said "That will be £11.00" My calcs from the RM web site said £7.95 BUT apparently it is nothing to do with volume but if one of your dimensions falls out side that's it you are out my parcel was milse under in length and with but too deep and they have a new gauge on the counter for just that was already out of pocket on the P & P so that made it worse.
Please be aware if you are parcelling up items from the BST area double check the sizes.

I've been caught out by this as well mate.

It's a total minefield trying to estimate postage these days.

The idea that a medium parcel starts at 8cm in height is just craziness - it's been quite an income generator for Royal Mail I hear, though.

Caught out here too.

A bubble envelope the other day, weighing in something like 21 grams was two wide to be a letter and a packet, so had to go as a PARCEL. It as only a cd sized jiffy and had a sample of EDT wrapped with bubble wrap, but £3.00 to post.

I haven't sold anything on EBay for a while, when I do I'm going to take it to the post office first all packed and ready to go. I'll then list at a start price taking in to account the postage. Otherwise I'll get marked down on p&p as I'm sure a lt of people just don't realise how much postage charges have gone up recently.

I had a chat with the woman behind the counter and said to her it was a con. I went on to say that they are going to price themselves out. Her reply was very defensive saying that the other couriers were indeed raising their prices and were not much cheaper. She failed to spot the fact that even at say 50p an item business stand to make huge savings.

She also spouted off how parcels go missing more with other services. In the past I have had two courier parcels go missing, I've lost count of Royal Mail parcels that have gone "missing" and letters and birthday cards. The worst being a Christmas card being delivered out of the envelope, the envelope delivered with the card too and of course missing £30 worth of gift cards.

They rip you off and the counter and their staff steal from you too.

It's amazing some of the people I order from, such as NKDMAN make a decent profit when the included free postage.

i thought this was going to be the 1st and 2nd class con.

I posted out two parcels from stuff on BST on Saturday 2nd Class recorded. Both cost £6.30, both 0.8**kg, size no idea, not small though with my mad packaging skills, lol.

They were both delivered Monday as expected.

EDIT: medium size parcels for £6.30, about £2 more than earlier in the year.

Northam Saint said:
It's amazing some of the people I order from, such as NKDMAN make a decent profit when the included free postage.

I've wondered how they make anything with giving 'free' delivery. They must have a contract price for the parcels. Sending a tub of shaving cream out would blow the profit on sending it surely :s
I guess with small parcels is to keep the thickness under 80mm.
Brian

My local postmaster (who is very good) looked ashamed when I frothed over a price recently. He inferred that Royal Mail are deliberately making it difficult.

Not good news but the replies say a lot. You know sometimes you question yourself. If it was on Watch Dog well that says a lot.

if im going to mail something big/heavy ill give these a ring.

they seem cheap (never sent anything through them but i have recieved a couple)

http://www.traxexpress.com/overnight-parcel-delivery/info_10.html

its apc-overnight

from what i can see on this site its £3.50 standard next day upto 1kg

(they will collect nation wide according to site as well, probably still cheaper than royal mail)

Royal Fail are taking the piss out of us. I frequently buy ingredients for beer brewing, and that's heavy. I usually order 60kg of stock at a time, basically a sack of grain and a big heavy box of stuff. Total P&P is £12.50 next day delivery with UK Mail.

Rate increases and Decreases in Service are also happening in the US. But here the reason is more straight forward. 1. The postal service is one of if not the largest Unionized work force in the country. As such it tends to support candidates that support a more social agenda. Ergo you have one major political party that needs to see this ended.
2. Until2006ish the postal service was operating at a profit. Again something that one party that was heavily funded by the postal services competitor could not tolerate. The postal service was legislated into insolubility by that parties supporters.
Follow the Money...

Johnus said:
Follow the Money...

Recorded delivery (Signed for) Small Packet Prices:
WAS:
UK £3.00
EU £7.00
USA £9.00

NOW:
UK £4.10
EU £8.80
USA £9.90

Royal Mail have just announced record profits.
Surprise!

The UK government have just announced that they are going to sell Royal Mail. It is going to become a privately owned business.
No surprise, and that is why the prices went up before the sell off.

As you say... follow the money.

Back
Top Bottom